It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
(female)

jdchablis HB User
Update On Atenolol/Muscle Pain

Hello to all! I just finished reading all he new posts and thought I would give an update on my Atenolol thoughts! I am still taking the 12.5mg. a day as with my other problems, I know my bp has been going up and down due to the pain I am in! I am not even sure if I mentioned in my previous posts about the severe pain I am having in my right side area. In case I did, I will try to be brief, and to explain: After some heavy cleaning about two months ago, I developed a "stitch" in my right side, just above the waist area. After my thinking I had pulled a muscle, my doc sent me to therapy...didn't help at all. So, then went and had a chest X-ray, CAT scan of the stomache to check gall bladder, and a CAT scan of the chest. Chest scan showed a few small nodules in the lungs which a Pulmonary doctor said I just need to keep watch on them....another CAT scan 6 months from now. All other tests came back ok, including the gall bladder.

Now, back to square one with the side pain, I am wondering if it could be the Atenolol causing the muscle pain? The pain is like a deep muscle ache, sometimes a burning feeling under the breast area and radiating towards the back at times. I know that some of you have posted muscle aches and I am wondering what your opinion might be on my problem. I don't know what kind of doctor to see concerning this type of thing.....any suggestions on that from anyone?

My doc has me trying Previcid (sp.?) for the burning sensation which helps a little, but pain is still there. After 2 months, I am really at my wits end!

Thanks, and my best to all.

Judy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2007, 05:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Update On Atenolol/Muscle Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdchablis View Post

Now, back to square one with the side pain, I am wondering if it could be the Atenolol causing the muscle pain? The pain is like a deep muscle ache, sometimes a burning feeling under the breast area and radiating towards the back at times. I know that some of you have posted muscle aches and I am wondering what your opinion might be on my problem. I don't know what kind of doctor to see concerning this type of thing.....any suggestions on that from anyone?
Yes, it could very well be the Atenolol...and just because it's a "small" dose, doesn't mean it can't be causing problems. I have read the accounts of many people who have experienced various aches and pains while taking this drug, specifically in the legs and feet but in other areas as well. These aches and pains disappeared when they switched meds. My aches and pains disappeared within days of disco'ing atenolol. If I were in your shoes, I would tell my doctor to put me on another medication--given your hx with atenolol, and your current problems, what do you have to lose?

For the sake of being current, I reread your previous posts concerning this particular condition and noticed that you mentioned a water pill. Are you still taking that water pill? The reason I ask is that a diuretic that I took caused horrible back and shoulder pain....but the side effects that were listed on the drug sheet also included side pain. Again, I was on a minimal dose (25 mg) when I experienced these effects, so don't rule out other medications if you are having problems.

Quote:
My doc has me trying Previcid (sp.?) for the burning sensation which helps a little, but pain is still there.
Sounds like your doctor is prescribing more drugs to treat side effects, Judy. Atenolol is one of those bp meds that cause heart burn...another reason to get off of the atenolol and try something else!

Just for your info, Judy, I experienced various side effects for months, but it only took a few days of discoing/changing a drug to identify the cause of my pain. After being on 5 different drugs (only one at a time) these past months has taught me lots of things but the important ones are:

1. Side effects don't go away, they only get worse.

2. Switching meds is the most cost/time effective way of identifying a side
effect.

3. Doctors are not familiar with identifying side effects, nor do they want to be--it's easier and more lucrative for them to prescribe more drugs, cause more side effects, and do more tests.

Bsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 05-17-2007 at 05:02 AM.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Judy,

Muscle pain would not be expected from atenolol. If there's a connedcction it would be a rare one.
I think your pain is from something else.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Good point, Lenin. Just because one experiences aches and pains, they are not all muscle related.

But I would like to point out that it is sometimes difficult to determine what "kind" of pain it is--muscle, joint, bone, nerve...
If you had asked me what kind of back pain I was experiencing, all I could tell you would be that it was excruciating and that I didn't want to move.

Other than applying pressure on a muscle, is there any easy way to tell if the pain is muscular in nature?

Bsheba

Old 05-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
I developed a "stitch" in my right side, just above the waist area.
Judy,

I am so glad you've had your appointment with the pulmonologist. Now you can move on with your life and put it out of your mind! Just to let you know I was thinking about you and wondered how it would go for you!!

I had a similar pain in the exact same place, lasting several weeks. I don't know what it was or whether it may have been related to my angiogram. (I had some difficulty recovering from my last one.) I had pain over one of my kidneys recently. Enough to drive me mad. I could not make a single move without being in pain. This lasted several days. I'll never know what had caused that one, either. The doc prescribed pain killers without even looking at the area and dismissed my complaint without giving it a thought.

I've had this awful headache since last Tuesday, after the doctor added another med to my existing ones. I am starting to think it's our medications causing all these aches and pains. Most of mine list aches and pains (without being more specific) as adverse effects on the info sheets.
I think Beth is right. It might be one of your meds. Muscle inflammation usually goes away after a while.

Are you on a statin drug? (for cholesterol) A scary thought!

Unfortunately, the only way you'll find out whether or not your problem is being caused by your meds is if you'll stop taking all of them. Unless you do, it will be impossible to determine which one might be causing the pain if, indeed, one of them is.

Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 05-17-2007 at 05:23 PM.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
(female)

jdchablis HB User

Thanks, Bethsheba, for your reply. Nice hearing from you. I am going to stop the Atenolol tomorrow and see what happens. I went from the 12.5 mg to just a quarter of the pill for the past few days, so now I will stop it for a week or so and see if I feel better. No harm in trying. My doctor told me he never heard of Atenolol causing muscle pain, but yet I have read that as being a side effect on a few web sites. I am going to print them out and show my doc! I spoke with him today, and he said I baffle him with this side pain! He said all my tests I had show no evidence of something a miss or wrong. So, now he wants me to go back and see my neurologist, which I plan on doing.

As far as the fluid pill.....hydro something or another....I have not taken that for about two weeks. I thought I would eliminate that for awhile to see what happens, but I guess that wasn't the culprit. I was only taking that about twice a week, though.

I will keep experimenting, and hopefully I will come up with an answer one of these days! I appreciate your reply, and it is helpful to read of other people's experiences.

Thanks, and keep on posting concering your ups and downs with these meds; it is informative!

Judy

Old 05-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
(female)

jdchablis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
Judy,

Muscle pain would not be expected from atenolol. If there's a connedcction it would be a rare one.
I think your pain is from something else.

Lenin, that is what my doctor says, also. But, I do want to try to eliminate it for a week or so just to see what happens, more or less for my own peace of mind! I just have it in my head that since I started the Atenolol, all kinds of strange pains have appeared that I never had before. I had said to Bethsheba, I have read in some websites that Atenolol can cause muscle pain, and I really don't know what to believe at this point.

Thanks, Lenin, for your answer, and if the pain is still with me after stopping the med for a bit, then I will know for sure it wasn't the b/p pill.

Judy

Old 05-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #8
(female)

jdchablis HB User

Thanks so much, Flowergirl, for thinking about me! I was so very relieved after my appointment with the Pulmonary guy! Now I need to stop the awful smoking habit! Yes, I am one of "those" with that nasty habit. Quit several times, but everytime a bad thing happened in our family, I picked them up again. I am down to 3 a day, and sometimes none, and I am really trying. I think it is easier to give up eating.....although I like to do that, too, but the smoking is hard to give up.

Isn't it terrible what we have to go through....me with this side pain, you with your pain, and now a headache. You are probably like me; you try to ignore it, but it just won't go away. I tell my self every morning, "don't think about it", but then there it is, and it can't be ignored! Oh yes, I agree that your meds are probably causing your problems, especially since it is listed on the phamphlet that comes with the meds.

I am just trying to find out if it is something terribly serious, but as I told Beth, my doctor said I have him puzzled, and all my tests came back ok. Yes, inflammation should go away after awhile, and after two months of this, I can't imagine why it hasn't gone away. It still worries me, and hopefully my neurologist can dig deeper into the problem since it seems my family dr. is through with me!

No, I don't take any statin's. Thank goodness!

Well, it is great to tell all my problems to you guys, and thanks for listening. I hope you get rid of that headache, and I will be checking back in to see what is happening with you, Beth, Lenin, etc!

My best to everyone!

Judy

Old 05-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdchablis View Post
As far as the fluid pill.....hydro something or another....I have not taken that for about two weeks. I thought I would eliminate that for awhile to see what happens, but I guess that wasn't the culprit. I was only taking that about twice a week, though.
Judy, that water pill that I took was hydrochlorothiazide (or hctz)...it was the one that caused me EXCRUCIATING back pain and disabled my shoulder. IT SPECIFICALLY LISTS SIDE PAIN AS A SIDE EFFECT. I would hope you would read up on it and also talk with your pharmacist about it. Side effects can "linger" long after the med is discontinued so you can't be sure that hctz wasn't the pill that's causing your side pain.

Bsheba

PS Check out the post by Kuch on 10-10-2006

Old 05-18-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Muscle pain,

Well a sure way of determining if it is muscle pain would be if it is far from a joint, like the middle of the thigh.

Nerve pain tends to radiate.

Joint pain on the other hand can be VERY responsive to the degrree of water retention and it can work either way. For example, a dehydrated disc can allow bone inpingement on the spinal nerves and MUCH pain. But an overhydrated condition can cause ANY joint capsule to swell with fluid and press on nerves.
Any inflammatory condition can be mad much worse with extra fluid and ameliorated by fluid loss.

Moral: diuretics and BP meds can make pain from any cause better or worse, DEPENDING! Heck, that's life!

For me, I have lots of joint pains and often suffer muscle pain from weightlifting. On net I must say with asssurance that my :water pill" genertally alleviates my pain rather than exacerbates it. When I awaken on a day after a very salty day, sometimes EVERYTHING hurts (fingers, shoulders, pecs, lower back, knees, foot) until my water pill (Lasix now) gets me going like a fountain and drains out some of these full joints.

If diuretics disappeared tomorrow, I would either have to stop salt intake entirely or live in constant pain, not agonizing, but real nevertheless.

(What I say for diuretics is true for beta-blockers as well for many people...there is a srong diuretic component to them.)

Last edited by Lenin; 05-18-2007 at 06:52 AM.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #11
(female)

jdchablis HB User

Hi Beth.....your so nice to keep answering my posts! But, yes, I was taking the same fluid pill as you, but only two or three times a week, not every day. So, I don't think that is my problem...do you? I still think it is the Atenolol! I have been taking only a trace level of the Atenolol for the past 4 days..and tomorrow I am stopping it for a week or so. Honestly, I might be on the wrong track, but I will see if my pain goes away. I sometimes wonder if I am making myself paranoid, and am I imagining the pain in my side.....but, when it hurts..it hurts!

Thanks, Beth,,it is always good to hear your views!

Judy

Old 05-19-2007, 12:00 AM   #12
(female)

jdchablis HB User

Well, gees, Lenin. now I am totally confused! It might be the late hour or perhaps the 3 glasses of wine I had this evening, but I am at a loss to understand what you just told me. Seems like you said that fluid can cause pain, and muscle pain is different. Please forgive me..I think I have to much in my mind just now to comprehend it all. I think I am at the point that I am just so tired of trying to figure it out....as to joints and muscles, and I am so darn discouraged. But, Lenin, it seems to me...you know more about things then my doctor.....he never expalined things to me like you did.....even though I don't get it just now.....you seem smarter than my doc.

Thanks, Lenin, and I will read your post again and hope I understand it better.....it is me..not you....I need to read again and concentrate on what you said.

Again...thanks for yor reply...much appreciated!

Judy

Old 05-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Judy,

So sorry for the belated reply...have had computer problems, etc, so am behind in my correspondence.

As for the hydrochlorothiazide or the atenolol causing the pain, I still think it's the hctz. Just fyi, I had a friend who was on hctz--her doc didn't recognize her symptoms as being a side effect (she had an allergic reaction) of hctz, and it took about 2 months after discoing hctz for her skin to return to normal. I mention this only because taking the drug only once in awhile doesn't mean you can't have side effects that occur when you're "not" taking the drug.

Hope you're doing well.

Bsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 05-22-2007 at 07:31 PM.

Closed Thread