It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

srivera HB User
Normal Systolic, High Diastolic

My Systolic normally runs in the 120-124 area, but my Diastolic is high 90's-low 100's. Any ideas as to the cause for this? Both Echo's showed nothing out of the norm but a slightly enlarged Aorta and left ventricle.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
(female)

candyheart HB User
Re: Normal Systolic, High Diastolic

I would be interested in this answer also. That seems to be what my bp does sometimes too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

srivera HB User

I have another appt with my cardio doc on june 12th. Don't expect anything to come of it other than maybe them putting me on a new med. On Cozaar now.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I'm not sure but I know my diastolic decreased rather fast with Lebatalol (apha/beta blocker). Getting the systolic down took much longer which took a diuretic. Now my diastolic usually runs in the 50's or early sixties. I would prefer it to be in the 70's but in order to get the systolic down the diastolic has to be lower apparently. Fam

Old 05-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivera View Post
My Systolic normally runs in the 120-124 area, but my Diastolic is high 90's-low 100's. Any ideas as to the cause for this? Both Echo's showed nothing out of the norm but a slightly enlarged Aorta and left ventricle.
Hi,

Is your high blood pressure controlled with medication? Is it responsible for your enlarged LV, or do you have aortic stenosis? Mine is enlarged from having high BP. There are other drugs your cardiologist might find more suitable/effective than Cozaar if you have left ventricular hypertrophy, such as diuretics and beta blockers. These might also help you bring that diastolic down. Does Cozaar seem to be helping? Are you experiencing any adverse effects? What was your BP before going on Cozaar?

Diastolic pressure of 90-109 mmHg is considered moderately high, the 110-129readings are very high. It is just as dangerous as having high systolic, especially in people under 55. It is less common in young people but if present, it usually decreases with age while systolic increases. When present in younger people, it indicates that the arteries are under constant pressure, even between heart beats. Please note that higher rate of diastolic pressure can cause the same damage as high systolic to your organs, if left untreated or uncontrolled. You want to get that number down, if possible. Mine won't come down and is about the same as yours. It is lower than it used to be. I am having a hard time controlling my hypertension, it's drug resistant.

Good luck!

Flowergirl

The following user gives a hug of support to flowergirl2day:
Luann Voss (04-16-2011)
Closed Thread