It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
(female)

mickey99 HB User
hot weather and blood pressure

When I am outside and it is really hot my blood pressure seems to dip. Anyone out there with this problem. Maybe it only happens with an ace inhibiter. Mickey 99

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User
Re: hot weather and blood pressure

Hi Mick,

This hapens to me as well. Usually, if it is hot and I am working in the heat, I can count on a decent BP drop. I know that the opposite is true, during cold weather your BP will rise as the body constricts blood vessels in an effort to conserve heat.

Regards, Brenden.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2007, 12:46 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wholegrain HB User

A rise in body temperature causes your blood vessels to dilate. When your blood vessels are expanded, your blood puts less pressure on the walls, therefore, low blood pressure. Drinking plenty of fluid and electrolytes in the heat can keep your pressure up.

Speaking of fluids, heat can also cause sweat, which causes dehydration, which causes low blood pressure. So the heat is a double edged sword.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
(female)

kimberlye HB User

Thats weird because I think my BP goes up when I get hot. I know I feel like my BP is going up anyway.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

wholegrain HB User

Being active can make it go up, and being active can also make you hot.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Mine drops a lot when I am very warm and peaks when I am chilled.
The mechanism is easy:
When you are hot, your body tries to cool and the millions of arterioles in the skin open wide to allow hot blood to reach the surface to lose heat, It's akin to opening all the fire hydrants in the city at one time...and down goes the BP.

The converse happens when cold: aerterioles slam shut and prevent much blood flow to the skin and up does the BP.

I think it's part of the reason for my White Coat symndorme...all my docotr's offices arre always FREEXING, Summer and Winter.

Once I showed consistenly low BP readings with no meds in a hospital...like 105/65. The place was heated liike it was owned by Beelzebub Medical! I lay in a puddle of sweat the whole time.

In fact thinking back a LONG time, my first BP crisis was in mid December...lots of booze, frigid weather, and an icy apartment. My BP's are always nice in Summer.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-06-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:57 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

wholegrain HB User

Hehe, Lenin I'm the exact opposite! (Because I have hypotension) My blood pressure is healthy, even close to normal in the winter but I barely survive the summer.

Closed Thread