It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User
can lisinopril cause pulse rate to increase?

I am just trying to discover why my pulse has increased over the last few months.

I have increased the amount of lisinopril I have been taking the last few months. My pulse has been higher, sometimes too high. Could this been the cause?

I also take a very small amount of atenolol (6.25mg). I tried taking a little more of that to lower pulse, but it didn't work and made my bp too low.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: can lisinopril cause pulse rate to increase?

Quote:
My pulse has been higher, sometimes too high.
I also take a very small amount of atenolol (6.25mg).

Hi Rorie,

According to the study published in 2002 (Pierdomenico SD and others)in Italy, ACE inhibitors REDUCE both clinical and ambulatory heart rate in hypertensive patients with faster heart rate. These drugs did not significantly change HR in patients with baseline <74 beats per minute. However, they significantly reduced HR in patients with the baseline >75, even more so in patients >85.

When you think about how ACE inhibitors and other BP medications work, it follows that as the BP is lowered, so is the pulse. This should be the case, unless there is an underlying medical condition, such as a heart problem, or certain diseases, including asthma and diabetes.

There are many other factors that cause rises in heart rate. Some are:

EXERCISE
excessive dieting
arrythmia
use of illicit drugs
Vitamin B and potassium deficiencies (and some other minerals as well)
panic attacks
large meals, use of alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine
emotional changes, anxiety and stress

When and how often do you take your pulse? Many people measure their heart rate right after they exercise. It is always higher then resting heart rate. Our pulse rises to meet the demands of activity and then gets back to normal when we rest. You don't mention what your pulse rate is when measured. It varies according to the time of day and what we happen to be doing. Normal in an adult is between 60-100 beats per minute. Unless you are at rest all the time, it rises and falls in the course of the day.

Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 05-30-2007 at 09:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 05:58 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User

Thank you for your reply. I didn't think lisinopril was the culprit, but I thought I would ask. I've been checking my pulse often lately, because I can feel my heart pounding sometimes. It used to be in the 70's...then in the last few months it was in the 80's and now it is like 91 when I wake in the morning (before I even get up) and goes higher off and on throughout the day. It was like 110 for awhile last evening.

I have an appointment with my primary doctor next Tuesday, but sometimes I get concerned that this could be dangerous and would like to talk to him sooner, but don't see how I can with my schedule.

Thanks again for replying.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Rorie,
The way to be sure is to stop the lisiopril for a couple days and see what happens to your pulse.

I don't think the ACEI is responsible but it's not inconceivable. There are a lot of hormonal reactions that are mediated by ACE.
Also, there are a small number of people who are allergic to ACE inhibitors and thus a slight allergy might be expected to raise your pulse.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-31-2007 at 06:23 AM.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I'll just add another possibility: hyperthyroidism. One of the first signs is increased heart rate/pulse. Fam

Closed Thread