It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
(female)

MorticiaRose HB User
Hard to Hear Blood Pressure?

Hi, I have battled with several health problems in my 34 short years, including high blood pressure, that despite meds, is still not under control.

However, my last doctor appointment (at a new clinic/new doctor) was strange. The nurse had to take my bp twice because she said she had problems "hearing" my blood pressure. Then she had the doc check it too. The doc also said she had trouble hearing it.

Today, I had a friend from work (who is a home-health aide) check it for me because I was not feeling well. She too said that she could barely hear it. I asked her what that means, and she just said she couldn't tell me.

Nobody has ever told me this before, and now that it has been mentioned by three different people, I am a bit worried.

Why would it suddenly be difficult to hear? Should I ask for further testing?

MorticiaRose

Old 06-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: Hard to Hear Blood Pressure?

Hi Rose,

I used to have a friend with that problem but can't remember the reason at the moment. Have you tried raising your arm for a few minutes before taking your b/p? That works sometimes. Make sure you don't have any constricting clothing on your arm of course. If it continues I'm sure your Dr.can figure out the reason. Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2007, 04:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Morticia,

I have 2 friends who exhibit the same thinng and often can't even get a reading on an electronic machine. When they DO get a reading, both get numbers so very low (like systolics under 100 but no signs of weakness or dizziness) that their doctors always praise their health.

Consider that "quiet" pulse of yours a sign of either good blood pressure or a sign that your medical practitioners are getting hard of hearing.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-03-2007 at 04:53 AM.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
(female)

sillynini HB User

Hi MorticiaRose, I usually prefer just to lurk in the background and read. (Lenin - always enjoy your comments ) In fact I have never posted before but I also have the same problem, where my BP is "hard to hear". The nurses can never get it and always leave it to the Dr. He has to feel my arm for the veins and even then it will take him a couple of tries. When I ask why they can't hear it I usually can't get a straight answer from anyone, although once someone said it is because I have deep veins. I even asked a very good friend who is a nurse who avoided an answer. I am very overweight (50 BMI) but my arms are not bad. My excess weight is mostly the lower half. For someone with such high blood pressure it amazes me they cannot hear it. The highest one I know of was 183/115 but there were probably higher ones as I just came from a very stressful year of my Mom passing away from cancer. I know my BP was high and uncontrolled for about five years. In 2001 I was supposded to have it rechecked and never went back. They later told me it was 163/100 then and there have been other high readings inbetween. I just never understood the dangers and implications at the time. Until two weeks ago I was on three medications to control it. I stopped taking the atenolol as the Dr thinks it was the one messing with my head. I thought maybe the atenolol might be what makes it hard to hear as my heart rate was high 40's low 50's but am not sure. By the way, my BP machine never has difficulty reading my pressure and seems fairly on par with the Dr's although I have never confirmed it with his.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
(female)

were2alike HB User

Hi! hope you get this post.. sometimes your blood pressure mite be low but it not a bad thing unless you get dizzy or keep head aches or become unresponsive when some one tries to wake you up from sleeping. then you should worry.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
(female)

MorticiaRose HB User

Thank you all for your replies. Sometimes it's nice just to "talk" to others and know that I am not alone!!

To Sillynini: Please read my post, "Anyone Else Like Me?" on the General Health board. I am looking for someone "like me" whom I can correspond with. I don't know what other health issues you are dealing with, but it sounds like you and I have at least two of them in common! (unfortuneately ) And may I say that I am very sorry for your loss, thank God my mother is still with me and healthy. But, I have had cancer myself, and know a lot of people who are fighting it. I also just this morning lost a good friend of mine, though to heart disease rather than cancer. She was 46 years older than me, but she was like having a bonus Grandmother.

God Bless You All!

MorticiaRose

Closed Thread