It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Mr. Detail HB User
Any natural supplements I have not tried?

Just went downstairs to the nurses office here at work to check my blood pressure. It was up again (142/86) even after I sat still in a chair without moving or talking for 5 minutes. Last time I had it checked it was 126/80.
I exercise 3-4 times per week on a combination of aerobic machines (stairclimber,elliptical, bike) and I am not overweight or have a bad diet.
I also just had a echo-stress test done last week and passed it with flying colors.

Just wondered if anyone has some other ideas for any natural type supplements I could take to help lower my BP.
I have been taking celery seed extract, garlic, niacin, UDOS oil blend caps and ProFibe. I know about hawthorn berry but haven't taken any of that lately. I am not on any medication of any kind and would like to keep it that way as long as possible. Let me know if you think of anything I may have missed. Thanks!

Old 06-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User
Re: Any natural supplements I have not tried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Detail View Post
Just went downstairs to the nurses office here at work to check my blood pressure. It was up again (142/86) even after I sat still in a chair without moving or talking for 5 minutes. Last time I had it checked it was 126/80.
I exercise 3-4 times per week on a combination of aerobic machines (stairclimber,elliptical, bike) and I am not overweight or have a bad diet.
I also just had a echo-stress test done last week and passed it with flying colors.

Just wondered if anyone has some other ideas for any natural type supplements I could take to help lower my BP.
I have been taking celery seed extract, garlic, niacin, UDOS oil blend caps and ProFibe. I know about hawthorn berry but haven't taken any of that lately. I am not on any medication of any kind and would like to keep it that way as long as possible. Let me know if you think of anything I may have missed. Thanks!

Given the discrepancy between readings, make sure you do not suffer from "white coat hyprtension" like many of us.

Re supplements, there are plenty of others you may want to consider: coenzyme q and fish oil/or flaxseed for Omega 3s. Two amino acids, L-arginine and L-Taurine are reported to work for some people (both taken together on an empty stomach). Another class of supplements are peptides, and you can find one called C-12 made from dairy protein, and another one made from bonito fish. Olive leafe is another herb reported to help a lot of people with blood pressure.

Good luck!

acp

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Mr. Detail,

Look into some of the diuretic herbs: dandelion, hydrangea, buchu, uva ursi seem the commonest.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
(female)

boots4me HB User

I;m new but before I signed up to use this website I saw some things some were using. One was dried raisins soaked in lime juice, fenugreek and cinnamon, Then there was celery seed extract and something else. I can't find it now. The posts were very old. I am fed up with the bp meds I have been getting for the last four years. I'm diabetic. I had it under tight control with diet and Nature Made diabetic pack nuttrients and bp was fine with diazide and 12.5 mg cozaar four years ago. My bp is always higher in drs office than at home. I proved to my dr that my wrist cuff was accurate as his cuff and showed him reading in memory proving that my bp was always under 125/75. He wanted it that low in his office and told me to double cozaar. I'd also lost 25 lbs in 4 mos up to that point. I told him cozaar would raise my blood sugar. He said do it anyway. Blood sugar went up, gained weight back, bp went up more and was told to double cozaar again. Had Cobra ins, it ran out and he told me to get on medicaid and go to county drs. I stayed on meds but did not go to a dr. After a time my heart would pound and race shortly after taking cozaar, and left ankle swelled. Finally broke down to went to clinic connected to nearby hospital. My bp was 185/120. They switched my meds, and switched them and switched them some more. I have had adverse reaction to everything but nefidipine. I had some low back pain prior,and it became increasingly worse, then leg pain, hip, and knee pain and never attributed it to meds. I was given Benicar over a year ago. I took in an exhibit at a local church at Christmas time and the pain was so bad I had to sit down almost as soon as I got in the church. A lady there asked me if I'd like to use a wheelchair. I did. The year before they had the same thing going on and I walked for more than an hour before I had to sit.

I have a raised rock garden (over 1200 ft in my front yard) We had cold rainy spring and I worked when I could. Got a notice from the city to take care of all unattended vegetation and had 12 days to do it or get a fine. I'm on limited income, so I took L-arginine and L-ornithine to give me the strength to do it all. Also took hawthorn preparation I keep around when I get tired from overdoing it. I have never taken it more than 4 or 5 days straight. I'm on oxygen because my heart beats too fast (100 a min) to make up for lack of it. I used Vitamin O. A week after I was all done and not using this extra nutrients anymore I attended a health fair. My oximeter reading was 95-where they want it to be (it's normally 93) and I hadnt used oxygen at all that morning. My bp was 107/69 and my heart rate was 89. I hadn't yet taken Benicar. My bp has never been that low in my life, and benicar and nefidipine never really controlled it - 130-138 over 75-85. This low bp kept up for three weeks, during which time I stopped the benicar. Guess what? My hair has stopped falling out, ridges in my nails have gone away, my heart rate is around 80-85 most of the time, and my back, hip, leg and knee pain has gone away completely. I'm steadier on my feet and I can actually walk three blocks without pain and can work hours in yard. (First time in over three years). I took benicar one time last week. Next morning when I got up, all the pain was back and was as bad as the worst its been. I'm mad as he--. I'd told my dr about pain but he just makes a note in my chart. I'm due to go to him, but haven't made appt yet.

For the first time in four years, I actually feel like my old self, and I finally have energy again. The bp has crept up to near where it was while taking benicar, but it's no worse. I've taken the hawthorn and can't really tell if it's doing anything. I can breath better, so suspect it is. I've been taking herbs for 30 years and they don't scare me, but I research everything and seldom take anything new. If I thought hawthorn would do anything, I'd have taken it a long time ago. The l-arginine and l-ornithine seem to do more. Come hell-or-high water, I will find something that will work. If I don't, I may die, but I'm going to die living a life and not sitting on my butt because of pain and lack of energy caused by prescription drugs. And, I will never again take a bp drug that raises blood sugar. How does anything like that get approved??? The drs told me each one they were giving me raises blood sugar and I told them, "That's like throwing gasoline on fire". My blood sugar isn't under good control either. Metformin causes lots of problems for me too.

I want the recipe for the raisin, lime juice and fenugreek and cinnamon, if somebody out there has it and if they had success with it or not. I already take flaxseed, fish oil, CO Q10 and magnesium.

Sorry for the long post but I don't want recommendation for this-and-that in the way of prescriptions and all the above is the reason. Herbs or nutrients or foods work better for me than drugs. (Eventually I listen to my body and not the dr. I forgot that for a while) The trick is finding what works. Any ideas will be most appreciated.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Boots,

Quote:
Come hell-or-high water, I will find something that will work. If I don't, I may die, but I'm going to die living a life and not sitting on my butt because of pain and lack of energy caused by prescription drugs. And, I will never again take a bp drug that raises blood sugar. How does anything like that get approved??? The drs told me each one they were giving me raises blood sugar and I told them, "That's like throwing gasoline on fire". My blood sugar isn't under good control either. Metformin causes lots of problems for me too.
What a post! You've been through so much! I guess very little detective work was needed on your part to find out what was making you so sick. There are many of us with similar experiences with our prescription drugs. Many more than the drug manufacturers would have everyone believe!

Thank you for taking the time to write up this post - it must have taken some effort. We all NEED to hear of these experiences. We need to be shocked into exhausting every possible option of lowering our blood pressure naturally, before making the decision to go on BP meds. Or worse yet, before allowing our doctors to make this decision for us when the use of BP meds is not necessary!
While not everyone may feel the same way you do, to some of us you are an inspiration!

I wish I could help with your query. Perhaps one of the other members has the answer. Good luck.

PS. You cannot go wrong with the fish oil, CoQ10 and flaxseed.

Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 07-26-2007 at 10:19 PM.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
(male)

joe86 HB User

Hi,
I've been through all this stuff too, trying all the herbs and supplements you hear about on the web. There's so many of them and it's really difficult to tell what's doing what after a while.
Everyone's different and some people really do find something that works wonders for them but I think it's like groping around in the dark.
None of these things did anything for me. I hope I don't sound too much like a skeptic but that's just my experience. I'm not against natural health because I think lifestyle changes can make a big difference, moreso than ingesting natural remedies.
My own natural wonder probably sounds like quackery to some people too. That's slow breathing. It worked after I had tried and failed with everything else and it continues to manage my bp. With all the time and effort you're spending on consumable remedies I urge you to try slow breathing. It costs next to nothing or you can even find free instructions if you look around. Check my other posts for more details.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Your exercise program sounds great! Just out of curiosity, what do you consider a good diet? Have you checked out the DASH diet?

Bethsheba

Old 07-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe86 View Post
...Everyone's different and some people really do find something that works wonders for them but I think it's like groping around in the dark.
None of these things did anything for me. I hope I don't sound too much like a skeptic but that's just my experience. I'm not against natural health because I think lifestyle changes can make a big difference, moreso than ingesting natural remedies.
My own natural wonder probably sounds like quackery to some people too. That's slow breathing. It worked after I had tried and failed with everything else and it continues to manage my bp. With all the time and effort you're spending on consumable remedies I urge you to try slow breathing. It costs next to nothing or you can even find free instructions if you look around. Check my other posts for more details.
Your comments about supplements are valid but better yet backed by your personal experience! I personally do not find anything "natural" about supplements. It would be far healthier, less costly, and more interesting to eat a well balanced diet...but that's not as easy as taking a supplement.

The slow breathing is not quackery and is being taken very seriously by our federal government. The value of slowed breathing is recognized by many disciplines--cardiology, respiratory therapy, sleep medicine, psychology, for a few.

Bethsheba

Old 07-30-2007, 05:06 PM   #9
(female)

boots4me HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
Your comments about supplements are valid but better yet backed by your personal experience! I personally do not find anything "natural" about supplements. It would be far healthier, less costly, and more interesting to eat a well balanced diet...but that's not as easy as taking a supplement.

The slow breathing is not quackery and is being taken very seriously by our federal government. The value of slowed breathing is recognized by many disciplines--cardiology, respiratory therapy, sleep medicine, psychology, for a few.

Bethsheba
You're right, supplements aren't natural. However, about 15 yrs ago I took a multi-mineral tablet, felt nothig and noticed when I doubled the dose, I felt better. I went to a nutritionist and got a hair analysis because I knew two nurses that said hair analysis uncovered some problems they had, that traditional tests did not. My analysis showed that I don't absorb nutrients well and that's why I need more. (And aluminum was off the chart) I told my dr and he laughed.

I searched [removed] to try to figure out how much I would have to eat of which foods, to get the nutrients I get out of the supplements I take. I'm 66 and the bodies natural ability to manufacture or convert some nutrients declines with age. [removed] I found a list with the food, quantity and mg of sprecific nutrient you derive out of that food.

My diet could admitedly be better in some areas - like fish, but I'm allergic to some fish. I eat tuna occasionally but get an allergic arthritis. I buy canned salmon when it's on sale. I'm on Soc Sec. and can't afford to pay $8 to $12 a pound for 4 4 oz servings of fresh. Otherwise, I eat whole grains, fruits, vegies, legumes, (probably fall down some on meat and dairy at times), I avoid all sugar substitutes, but use stevia and sometimes honey. I avoid canned and other processed food and eat fresh as much as I can. And I use olive oil in cooking.

Some nutrients I take can't be had from food. Like Alpha lipoic acid. That helps lower my blood sugar. I take extra magnesium because diabetics are low in that and that helps the blood pressure (my dr approved when I asked him). I basically take what is in Nature Made Diabetic Health Pack, Glucosomine & Condroitin and Coral Calcium with all the nutr. the extra Magnisium and of course fish oil, flaxseed oil, and sometimes switch to borage oil. I've found some brands of nutrients are useless (so much for standardization). It costs, but if I run out of something I can tell within 2 to 5 days. Given the cost of gas, and depletion of nutrients as foods sit two or three days in the store and then at home, I'm not so sure food is cheaper.

I have tried deep breathing a little in the past and noticed it lowers the blood pressure while I'm doing it. Never really done it a lot, but I will definatly check it out and try it more. With that, and my pains being gone (it's SOOOO wonderful) by eliminating benicar, I can get some much needed exercise and that should help too. If I can start to lose weight again and that would help everything. BP is running mid 120's to mid 130's over 70's, most of the time. That's still less than with benicar.

Thanks for your input.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-31-2007 at 01:33 AM. Reason: do not refer to commercial websites.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Boots,

Many thanks for your post...you reminded me of things that I knew but haven't thought about for awhile.

I'd like to take some quality time to respond but I'm busy so I won't be getting back to you for awhile....but I'll be thinking of what you said in the meantime.

I, too, experienced a decrease in bp (10-20 ponts) when I took myself off of bp meds. While on benicar hct experienced horrible restless leg syndrome. I know that many bp meds cause problems with sleep (benicar hct obviously did for me) and not getting quality sleep can elevate bp. But that's another story.

Will get back to you as soon as I can.

Bethsheba

Old 08-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #11
(female)

boots4me HB User

I had a supplement with Hawthorn, Co Q 10. Vit E. and L-taurine that I've had around but never really took it because of benicar and didn't know what taking it would do. Been taking it 4 days and I've noticed the BP goes down soon after. I'm taking everything in it but L-taurine, (I quit the other hawthorne herbal combo) so that must be whats doing it. And guess what? Monitoring my blood pressure so much, I found out it really drops when I have my 19 mo old grandson around - and he gives his parents fits.

And I've tried the deep breathing. If it's higher than I like to see, I wait a while, deep breathe and it does go down and the pulse rate goes down. So I'll have to keep that up. Thanks.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:43 AM   #12
(female)

anneh HB Useranneh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Detail View Post

I wish my bp was that low in the Dr office. Personally I would not be worried if I were you. You are getting good readings at home and your bp is not that much above normal. My husband is 85yo and his bp has been 140/80 or thereabouts for over 50 years with no ill effect in fact that last thing he would ever do is take meds for anything and he is in wonderful health. They tried to make him take meds to lower his cholesterol but when he read the side effects he refused and it was around that time we becames vegetarians so his cholesterol lowered itself and altho still on the high side he has no problems and is not worried about it. anneh

Old 08-16-2007, 03:26 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Boots,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you...since we've "talked" I've come across many government sites that were of interest "nutritionally" but unfortunately, I didn't keep a record.

A recent site I came across is "http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/healthieryou/contents.htm", which contains some very helpful info...everything from diet and exercise guidelines, to info about fats, carbs, alcohol, and food sources with nutrient contents.

It's really a wealth of nutritional info!

Bethsheba

Old 09-21-2007, 07:51 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

While reading about the DASH diet, I came across the following info:

1. BP specialists realized that not everyone in the world developed hypertenion. People who lived in remote areas, non-Westernized areas, and people who were vegetarians tended to have a low risk of developing this condition.

2. People who were at low risk for developing hypertension ate diets that were high amounts of potassium, magnesium, and calcium, and contained fiber and protein, and low fat.

3. Based on what they learned about these diets, researchers did multiple studies in which participants were given supplements in pill form and their bp and health condtions were carefully recorded. Other studies factored in varying amounts of protein, fat, and fiber in the diet.

4. Results? Sometimes the bp went down and sometimes it didn't. In other words, supplements didn't consistently control blood pressure.

Researchers knew that there had to be some correlation between these key ingredients and hypertension, based on the diets of other cultures and the diets of vegetarians so the designed a study that would focus on a diet of getting the key nutrients in a diet of REAL FOOD, and not supplements. This diet, is now known as the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension or DASH. More than 8000 people volunteered to participate in the DASH study. Results? Men and women who ate the DASH diet experienced a significant drop in both systolic and diastolic pressures...changes occurred within a week of starting the diet, leveled off after 2 weeks, and stayed lower for the remaining 8 weeks. The results for participants whose pressures were over 140/90 were more dramatic than those with lower pressures.

Scientists have proved that this diet works...why does it work when supplements don't (or at least don't work consistently)? They think that it may be a combination of the hundreds of substances in whole food that work together to create a lower pressures, but it's only a theory.

Bon appetit!

Bethsheba

Old 09-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I agree. The best way to get the benefits of nutrients is, whenever possible and feasible, by consuming fresh foods first and foremost.
However, consuming the necessary recommended daily amounts of some might mean having to eat fish every other day (and still not be getting enough EPA & DHA while consuming too large an amount of mercury and other toxins) and munching on several fresh garlic cloves every day. I tried it initially before running out to purchase my first bottle of garlic supplements. That's when the supplements come in handy.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 09-21-2007 at 08:07 AM.

Closed Thread