It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
(female)

DMBordel HB User
Unhappy sudden onset of HBP

I have several health issues, but never have had any issues with my blood pressure and have no family history. Three weeks ago I started swelling ... hands, feet, face, etc. I stopped by and asked the pharmicist what I should take and he suggested I take my blood pressure first. It was 165/110 and I was like WOW! He said I should talk to my doctor. I decided to wait and recheck it later since I had just been into the doctor's 1 1/2 weeks before and my BP was 120/79. I stopped back by that afternoon and it was 168/113. At that time I stopped taking the montephen from the sinus problem at the suggestion of my pharmacist and agreed to call my doctor. Work was crazy and I didn't get around to it the next day but by that afternoon felt horrible. I stopped back in that afternoon and it was 198/118. My pharmicist had me call the doctor's emergancy line while I was there. At that time given the water retention they put me on Diazide 37.5/25 and I went home to rest. I started that and continued to check but without any lowering results. I saw the ENT for my ear/sinus problem and while there it was 175/114. He said give it a few days for the decongestant to get out of my system. I waited 2 weeks and went into see the doctor. My lowest BP reading has been 155/113 and highest at the time 198/119. While there it was 175/109. She took me off my hormones (which I have been taking since I was 25 due to a complete hysterectomy). Made me quit taking any NSAIDs, salt out of the diet, all of the usuals. She thought perhaps my increased use of ibuprofen due to the ear/sinus problem might be the trigger. She put me on Norvasc as well. I started it Thursday. I felt really bad Thursday night. Friday I couldn't really function correctly. I checked my blood pressure and it was 200/125. I went straight home and rested. I continued to take it Friday-Sunday. Each day I felt worse and my heart was beating REALLY hard like it was going to jump out of chest. My asthma is bothering me more than normal as well. I couldn't hardly walk to the bathroom I was so weak. I did not take it today and called the doctor. She took me off the Norvasc (whew) and put on the Diazide now x 2 a day and said to come back in a month. I am worried about waiting a month. What are the risks of it not coming down? I don't feel well :-( What can cause a sudden BP rise? Due to my asthma I see the doctor usually once a month and I have never had a reading above 120/80 EXCEPT when I had pneumonia and then it was like 140/95. Now I did suffer from toxemia while pregnant with my first child and was hospitalized for one month with it. I had no problems with my second child. I am a 39 year old female who is a bit overweight due pervious prolonged use of steriods to control my asthma (working on taking it all off). My current medications include Pulmicort and Albuterol x 2 a day via nebulizer. Singulair, Cymbalta, Darvocet to replace the Ibuprofen, Soma as needed (previous back surgery), and Lunesta about 5 times per week. I stopped taking Estratest and Ibuprofen on Thursday. Current health issues are severe asthma, chronic back pain, current sinus/ear issue, IBS.

Any ideas??? Should I be worried? I have had a couple of bouts of ... well staggering sort of and just feeling like I was in a tunnel.

THANKS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
(male)

nova135 HB User
Re: sudden onset of HBP

DM,

Please see an internist that specializes in hypertension or a cardiologist. From my experience, if you see a caediologist, see one who is on the younger side ... as many of the older ones have not kept up on the latest therapies.

I would make this a top priority. Your BP is seriously high. Please get it under control. Since the existing meds haven't worked, you may have to add, or try a different class of drugs... such as an ace inhibitor or ARM. Make sure you see some one who is capable of doing some "detective work" on your behalf. Hypertension can have many different causes... and it is important to find a med that is appropriate for whater is causing your problem.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
(female)

DMBordel HB User

Thanks so much for your reply. My family doctor is actually an Internist. I am going to wait a until Thursday and see if there are any changes/improvements. If not I am going to demand another appointment and ask for more tests. I guess I am not sure when it becomes dangerous for strokes and such??? Am I in any immediate danger???

Old 06-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi DM,

What an ordeal!!! The sudden onset is worrisome. How is your pulse? Did the Dr. do basic bloodwork? Did he say your thyroid was okay? My b/p zoomed up pretty fast too but my thyroid was the cause. Both numbers were high. I agree you need to see a Dr. who is on top of things. The diastolic is way too high. My Dr. told me to go to the ER if my diastolic reached 115. Lebetalol is the drug often used in the ER for high b/p. It has been the best drug for me to keep my diastolic down however it is contraindicated since you have asthma I would not wait a month to see the Dr. Please keep in touch & let us know how you are doing. Are the pulses in both arms the same? Fam

Old 06-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
(male)

nova135 HB User

DM,

Some of those asthma drugs act as stimulants and could be pushing your BP up. The pulmocort is a steroid. Though your are inhaling it, if it is being absorbed into your system, it could also be raising your BP.

For hypertension to cause damage to organs and systems ... it usually needs to be present over a period of time. However, when your systolic starts pushing 200, it could put you in some danger of an immediate event, such as a stroke. I don't mean to alarm you, but you should be very agressive in treating this. Just because your doctor is an internist, does not mean he is up on the latest therapies. If you can, find someone that specializes in this. Sometimes a younger cardiologist may be your best choice. You could have something going on with your renin or aldosterone. Are you under any stress?

Old 06-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #6
(female)

DMBordel HB User

My pulse has been running high as well - consistantly over 100. I don't know if it is the same in both arms, will have to have someone help me check that tomorrow. The way I feel, along with the BP has me worried that something odd is causing this. They did take bloodwork on Thursday but the results are not back yet. I hope that may give some answers. I have seen a cardiologist before, I will see if I can get in again. I am not under any stress at the moment but I was shortly after it began. I am an educator, so May is a rough month and my daughter graduated May 25. I found that one day when I got really upset with a co-worker who had written me a nasty e-mail, when I tried to replied and the anger rose my head would spin ... I would settle down and it would stop ... then as the anger rose again it would happen again. After three times I just laid down and tried to put it out of my mind. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND WORDS!!!

Last edited by DMBordel; 06-11-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

Are they going to call you with results as soon as the lab work is in? I would insist on it. Kidney function is also one of the 1st things, they check when someone developes a BP problem, through simple lab tests.

Let us know how things go.
Leea

Old 06-13-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
(female)

DMBordel HB User

My doctor is rather young and I will check back with her. She did take me off my steriod nose spray but didn't mention my pulmicort. I will check back with her on that. I had an episode last night that made think I may have been having a stroke but thankfully it went away when I rested. When the BP started it was during a time of high stress but the stress has passed and at the moment things are very calm in my life. It was down today to 155/105 which has been the lowest reading so far. I am hopeful it will continue fall!!!

Old 06-14-2007, 07:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBordel View Post
I stopped back in that afternoon and it was 198/118. ...
I saw the ENT for my ear/sinus problem and while there it was 175/114. .... She took me off my hormones (which I have been taking since I was 25 due to a complete hysterectomy). ... She put me on Norvasc as well. I started it Thursday. I felt really bad Thursday night. Friday I couldn't really function correctly. I checked my blood pressure and it was 200/125. ... Each day I felt worse and my heart was beating REALLY hard like it was going to jump out of chest. ... My asthma is bothering me more than normal as well. ... My current medications include Pulmicort and Albuterol x 2 a day via nebulizer. Singulair, Cymbalta, Darvocet to replace the Ibuprofen, Soma as needed (previous back surgery), and Lunesta about 5 times per week. I stopped taking Estratest and Ibuprofen on Thursday. Current health issues are severe asthma, chronic back pain, current sinus/ear issue, IBS.

Any ideas??? Should I be worried? I have had a couple of bouts of ... well staggering sort of and just feeling like I was in a tunnel.

THANKS!
You could be having withdrawal problems due to not weaning off of medications. Or... you could be having interactions between your medications. I always take my medications at least one hour from each other, including vitamins, etc.

Food or drinks can also interact with medications and cause symptoms like a hard, fast beating heart.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 06-16-2007 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Maint.

Closed Thread