It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User
Benicar Hct 40/25

I keep reading all these posts about the bad side effects of Benicar Hct. My doctor changed my medication from Diovan to Benicar HCT 40/25 three months ago and it has worked out excellent for me. My average readings are 115/75 and lower . The only side effect I have noticed is more frequent urination from the diuretic in it. I have plenty of energy and I am still able to exercise every day vigorously with no problem. It works so much better than the Diovan did for me.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Benicar Hct 40/25

I am glad that it is working well for you and I'm also glad you're sharing your experiences with us as we need to know the positive sides of medication use, too...and again, it just emphasizes the fact that we are all different and what doesn't work for some, works for someone else!

I would hope that you would still consider lifestyle changes (if you haven't already done so) because the ideal would be to have those results without medication.

Again, am glad to hear you're doing well.

Bsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 06-18-2007 at 07:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2007, 08:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi George,

Quote:
It works so much better than the Diovan did for me

Would you mind telling us what your BP was before starting Diovan and how long the doct had you on it before switching to a diuretic?

Thanks,
Flowergirl

Old 06-18-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

My doctor said my hypertension is probably genetic. My father's side of the family all have it. I do watch my diet better now but I had always exercised and lived a healthy lifestyle before I was diagnosed. I know that everybody is different and experience different side effects from medications.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

George,

I'm glad to find you found a combo that works. I too am on ARB and diuretic and I have excellent BP control (except at the doctor's office ) without any side effects.
After my Lasix however, I have to be sure that I am in easy range of a bathroom for 2 hours.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User
Re: Benicar Hct 40/25 TO : LENIN

Yes, the combination works well for me. The only side effect is frequent bathroom visits. I can live with that as long as it keeps my pressure under control. I am thinking of going on the DASH DIET. I keep reading how this diet is supposed to lower blood pressure. If I stay on this diet for awhile would I be able to stop taking medication?

Old 06-20-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
If I stay on this diet for awhile would I be able to stop taking medication?
In a word, YES.

The rub is that your BP would be well controlled til you stopped the diet, thus DASH forever. <Sheesh, Trixie!>

Old 06-27-2007, 04:47 AM   #8
(female)

flowersx2 HB User

Be careful taking a diuretic on a low sodium diet. I did that and ended up with low potassium. I decided to keep up with the low sodium diet and was able to drop the hct.

Good luck with the benicar. I'm using it and it is the only one that REALLY lowers my bp within range on low dosage. Great med imo.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:57 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersx2 View Post
Be careful taking a diuretic on a low sodium diet. I did that and ended up with low potassium. I decided to keep up with the low sodium diet and was able to drop the hct.

Good luck with the benicar. I'm using it and it is the only one that REALLY lowers my bp within range on low dosage. Great med imo.

I just had bloodwork done 3 weeks ago and everything was normal. Potasium levels were fine. I asked my doctor if I should watch my salt intake and he said yes. I am sure I am still getting enough sodium . It seems like it is in everything you eat. From what I have read on the subject your body does not need very much of it. The benicar with the diuretic seems to be the best medication I have used so far to keep my pressure under control. Works much better than the Diovan did for me. If you eat a diet with alot of fruits and vegetables your are getting potasium..

Old 06-28-2007, 04:15 AM   #10
(female)

flowersx2 HB User

Mine took over a year to hit, but I'm really bad about eating the banana every day. I was taking potassium supplements with it though and it was still low. I went to the doctor feeling like **** and that's what it ended up being. Just something to keep your eye out for if you truly, truly cut out salt.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:01 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersx2 View Post
Mine took over a year to hit, but I'm really bad about eating the banana every day. I was taking potassium supplements with it though and it was still low. I went to the doctor feeling like **** and that's what it ended up being. Just something to keep your eye out for if you truly, truly cut out salt.

Thanks, I feel fine but if I start to have any symptons I will make sure I call my doctor. I don't have to see him for another six months as long as everything is ok.. I still eat foods with sodium but I stay away from fast foods, and I read labels when I buy food now. I try to choose foods with lower sodium. I don't know if it makes any difference. I read so many conflicting reports about sodium and blood pressure. Some say that a very low sodium diet only lowers bp minimally and others say it makes a big difference..

Old 08-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #12
(female)

kat4show HB User

I [removed] have a long history of HTN. I was on Cardura/Clonidine for many years, switched Drs. who put me on Diovan 160.
I had not researched that medication prior to starting it.
Within 2 hrs. of taking this medication I developed major palpitations, a tachyarrhythmia ( rapid irrgular heartbeat of about 120/min ) and severe pain in my left scapula, and left upper arm, scaring me to death. This went on for over a week and a half, even after reducing the dose to 80mg . The cardiologist left town and had no one covering, that is what I was told. I changed MD's and was put on toprol XL 200mg which did not lower my BP. AS of today, the new cardiologist gave me Benicar which is the same class of ARBs as the Diovan. This cardiologist is well aware of the problems I had with the Diovan and that I will never take that again.
My question is, has anyone ever had this severe a side effect with Diovan or ARBS, and what makes this cardiologist think the same thing woin't happen with the Benicar. I am afraid to take this drug as I will never go through that again. I have never had chest pain from anything, I am an avid tennis player.
I can't seem to find out anywhere , what has caused this drug to do this, and will the Benecar do the same thing?
TIA
Karen

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-02-2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: peer sharing only

Old 08-03-2007, 05:04 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

KAren,

For the longest time there were people on this forum extolling how well DIOVAN treated them. Thus I am surprised lately to read about so many people having problems with DIOVAN? Well, I guess that's just how things are.
My own experience with ARB's is limited to COZAAR, which doesn't do much of anything for me pro or con because I am a pure salt sensitive hypetensive: Diuretics &#220;ber Alles.

Yes, BENICAR is the same drug class as DIOVAN. Will it do the same to you as the DIOVAN? Only you can find out.
What I would do if I had your past experience is to begin the BENICAR with the smallest doseage...5 mg. Maybe yout doc has a sample packet laying around because the stuff isn't cheap. Alternatively, if he prescribes 20 mg., you could start by quartering the pills.
That way, IF you have that same frightening reaction that you had with the DIOVAN, you will have it minimally and can then STOP taking the BENICAR.

Under no circumstances drop a 40 mg. tablet as your first dose...too risky.

Last edited by Lenin; 08-03-2007 at 05:20 AM.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:48 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
For the longest time there were people on this forum extolling how well DIOVAN treated them. Thus I am surprised lately to read about so many people having problems with DIOVAN? Well, I guess that's just how things are.
Just a thought:

Perhaps these drugs work better alone than when combined with (many) others...

Combined with ACE inhibitors, the ARBs are used in treating proteinuria. They also slow progression of kidney diseases. Those two are generally safe to use together. In theory, these two drug classes should work quite well when combined. That was not my experience.

I think people (including myself) run into problems with the ARBs when on multiple prescription drugs. Think of all the interactions ..the drugs modifying each other's effectiveness by either enhancing or reducing it, neither of which is really good. I guess we''ll never know the reason so many of us have shown intolerance for this drug class.

Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-03-2007 at 07:02 PM.

Closed Thread