It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
(female)

harmony06 HB User
blood pressure and nose bleed

this is my first time to this particular board, but i was wondering if high blood pressure would cause someone to have a nose bleed. i have had a nose bleed twice within a week and am trying to figure out why. my husband is terribly concerned and wants me to call my doctor. i feel pretty stupid for calling my doc for something as silly as a nose bleed. does anyone else think that this is reason for alarm? i really don't see that big a deal here. i'd appreciate any input that you may have.

harmony

Old 06-20-2007, 05:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: blood pressure and nose bleed

Althought side effects are relatively rare (that's why they call high blood pressure the "silent disease/killer"), some people do have noticable side effects, and nosebleeds fall into that category.

Given the seriousness of having high blood pressure, it may be wise to get your nosebleeds checked out! If nothing comes of it, you will at least have peace of mind.

Bsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 06-20-2007 at 05:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2007, 05:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I agree with beth, a nosebleed is possible but not the likely result of hypertension. Perhaps CONTRIBUTORY, though.
Just borrow someone's BP tester, or go to Walmarts and measure your BP...if under 150/95 you can probably dismiss BP as a cause of the bleed.

harmony,
Are you taking a lot of aspirin, Plavix or any other blood thinners? Do you have any SORES in your nose?

If it continues to recur for several weeks, then go to the doctor and have a complete blood count. But no need to run just yet.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-20-2007 at 05:54 AM.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User
Thumbs up Re: blood pressure and nose bleed

Nose Bleeds can have a huge range of causes... high blood pressure, sinus infection, dry air (too low humidity), blowing your nose too hard...

The only way to find the cause of your nose bleeds is to check it out with your Doctor... remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Are they mild or severe? Do they stop easily or does it take a long time? Is it worth the peace of mind to get it checked out to you and your spouse?

Don't brush any medical concern off as just a silly little thing... Doctors would rather treat a hundred silly little things over a major case any day of the week, not because it is easier but because that is what they went to school for, to prevent and treat disease, to catch things before they go from silly to a big deal.

I wish you only the best of luck and please let us know how it goes.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #5
(female)

harmony06 HB User

i want to thank all of you for your replies. my husband is concerned that the nosebleeds may be caused by the hypertension, although it could also be because i am on depakote which tends to thin the blood and is harder to clot. i don't have sores in my nose, the bleeding comes on suddenly and doesn't last very long. a few minutes maybe five, it also isn't severe bleeding but just an annoyance. for example: i was in the grocery store and all of a sudden my nose decides to bleed. i have to pinch my nose and put my head up. i felt pretty stupid. maybe i should notify my doc but i have an appointment comming up in a week and a half, therefore i'm going to try and see if i can make it till then. anymore nosebleeds i'll be calling the doc.

thanks again for your input on the matter

harmony

Old 10-31-2007, 05:09 AM   #6
(male)

bl912 HB User

The last post was a little dated, but maybe you're still checking out the thread.

I had a severe nosebleed that landed me in the ER a few weeks ago. 2 hours of bleeding, they had to pack it to stop the bleeding. However, my BP was (and is) high. The ER doc said it may be related to high BP, but insisted I see my PC doc and get it checked out. I am doing so immediatley and will probably be put on BP meds, but it's better than alternatives. I had to go to the ER to find out I had a blood pressure issue - never felt a bad thing before the nosebleed. Unless you have some compelling reason not to, I'd see the doctor. The person below who said doc's would rather treat 100 small issues than a major one is absolutely right on target.

Good luck!

Closed Thread