It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
(male)

Jason27 HB User
Would high blood pressure meds change me as a person?

My current blood pressure is 155 over 98 and I was thinking about going on meds but I was curious to know if they would change my personality or anything? I don't want to turn into a zombie or anything.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Would high blood pressure meds change me as a person?

With your current pressures, not going on meds will change you as a person...you're at risk for developing kidney disease (check out the post at the top of this board), stroke (which, if it doesn't kill you, may impair your ability to talk, feed yourself, walk, think, and may affect your emotions), and cardiovascular disease.

Not getting one's blood pressure under control, whatever the means, means you'll end up very sick or dead....but either way, it will definitely change you as a person.

Bsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Jason,

Don't worry about the meds. What you read on this board are the experiences of posters who have had some bad side effects, but the VAST majority of people on BP meds do fine. Your doctor will start you out low and work with you carefully. It is easy to overstate the bad effects of meds (and I have as well), but for most people they work IF you combine them with lifestyle changes, and THAT is the critical part.

Some recent studies show that in cases where meds fail to work, it is often because people have not made lifestyle changes (lost weight, eat healthy, cut back the booze, etc.), or think they have made lifestyle changes and haven't.

With meds and taking better care of yourself, you will be fine.

acp

Old 06-25-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
(male)

joe86 HB User

Jason,
There's no way it's going to change you as a person. Bp meds are not psycho-active. They can't change personality. But they can change your life, both positively and negatively. I've been lucky to avoid medication but my wife has been on beta-blockers for years. They did change her lifestyle by making her lethargic and short-winded. However, she worked hard to overcome the side effects and the positive side was that it helped her blood pressure.
If you have to go on meds to get your bp down it will be mostly positive. And there's no reason it has to be for life. Despite what many people say, it is possible to come off bp meds and I've seen people do it. My wife is now on the tiniest dose possible and will soon be off of it.
Do go on meds if it's necessary but research natural methods and get going on some positive changes that will influence your bp. I'd be happy to advise you on what has worked for me and how my wife has nearly weaned herself off of meds.
But the bottom line is that some people are predisposed to hypertension and must use the meds. The result is almost always better than the alternative.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
(male)

Jason27 HB User

Thanks joe. I am currently taking fish oil and magnesium supplements but honestly it hasn't done much. I am doing killer cardio and lost 7 pounds in a week so I feel much better. I am sure my blood pressure is a lot lower now and I will keep trying to go strong.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi Jason,

I'm concerned about your "killer cardio" & having a diastolic of 98. Have you checked your b/p while doing the cardio? I would bet that your diastolic heads toward 120 when doing such a workout. Your heart is supposed to be resting duing the diastolic so I would check with your Dr. to see if your present workout is safe given your current b/p. I've never seen stats saying whether most people don't experience side effects that alter their lifestyle while taking b/p meds. I saw many people with side effects regarding b/p meds while working in a walk-in free clinic where patients just stopped by to have their b/p taken. After seeing 7 Dr's re: my b/p, I know how often most Dr's dismiss side effects & patients live with lifestyle altering side effects. The Dr's I've seen have usually wanted to start with the the normal dose or higher instead of titrating to the dose needed. I agree that most people don't follow the healthy lifestyle suggestions while trying to reduce their b/p.
Four yrs ago when my b/p hit the roof, I thought I would just waltz into the Dr's office & get a pill & be on my way. I wish I knew then what I know now!!! You need to be on top of things. You may be one of the lucky ones who just takes a pill & down his b/p goes, but you may not. Hopefully, you can get your b/p down without meds!!! Fam

The Following User Says Thank You to famnd For This Useful Post:
jamie007 (05-30-2011)
Old 06-26-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Joe,

Quote:
but my wife has been on beta-blockers for years. They did change her lifestyle by making her lethargic and short-winded. However, she worked hard to overcome the side effects
I am glad your wife is able to control her BP with lifestyle changes and only a tiny dose of a BPmed. Many of us hope to do the same ultimately and do our best to work toward this goal. Whether or not a person with high blood pressure can succeed in controlling it entirely through lifestyle and exercise is dependent on many factors.

I did not realize one could consciously overcome the adverse effects of beta blockers. How high was your wife's dose of beta blockers and how severe were her breathing problems? And, finally, what did she do to overcome this highly disabling and unpleasant side effect of beta blockers some of us experience?

I experienced severe breathing difficulties while on a high dose of this medication. It was discontinued several weeks ago and I'll have to go on it again, a different beta blocker this time. It really works in helping to keep the blood pressure down. I am one of those people who cannot control BP through lifestyle and diet alone and have suffered many side effects of my numerous BP meds. Any tips on how to handle this would be much appreciated.

Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 06-26-2007 at 10:11 PM.

Closed Thread