It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User
Fluctuating systolic, normal diastolic?

Folks,

Does anyone know what makes systolic BP zig zag while diastolic barely moves at all? My readings have ranged from 116 systolic to a horrible 148 today in the last week, but the diastolic has always remained 71-75 range. I know I have bad anxiety problems, but I'm wondering now if there may be artery issues involved. I'd like to think at age 45 I don't yet have the arterial stiffness associated with rising systolic and falling diastolic.

This was truly depressing...after a week of slowly dropping readings, todays was 142/74, 15 minutes later 134/76, and 15 minutes later again 148/71! That last one especially has really freaked me out, and won't help the anxiety I'm sure.

acp

Old 06-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User
Re: Fluctuating systolic, normal diastolic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp44 View Post
This was truly depressing...after a week of slowly dropping readings, todays was 142/74, 15 minutes later 134/76, and 15 minutes later again 148/71! That last one especially has really freaked me out, and won't help the anxiety I'm sure.

acp
Acp, it might have been your anxiety that caused the raised numbers. If you get a higher than expected number again give yourself half an hour after checking the number a second time... it helps to remember that DR's tend to be more concerned by elevated diastolic than systolic.

Try keeping a diary of the time, any symptoms what you were doing before you take your BP...

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by penybobeny View Post
Acp, it might have been your anxiety that caused the raised numbers. If you get a higher than expected number again give yourself half an hour after checking the number a second time... it helps to remember that DR's tend to be more concerned by elevated diastolic than systolic.

Try keeping a diary of the time, any symptoms what you were doing before you take your BP...

Good luck
Thanks. I know I've asked this many times, but can anxiety make THAT big a difference in swings? I mean the first one was 142, then 15 minutes later 134, then another 15 minutes 148! That is a HUGE swing in systolic in 45 minutes!

Even though I post a lot on anxiety, I still don't understand it. When I FELT anxious yesterday, my BP was 119/76. I felt CALM today, and I get 142/76!

I really wish i knew what to do to get consistent readings...

Old 06-27-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

I wonder if I'm putting too much pressure on myself mentally? I take every BP supplement, eat the DASH diet, do an hour of intense cardio every day, all trying to FORCE myself not to get high blood pressure. There is also a part of my subconscious that keeps telling me that if I do HAVE high blood pressure, I am screwed...that I will end up on 5 meds and NOT bring it down!

So whenever I get an elevated reading, THAT'S the outcome I interpret. I hate it too, a lot. I go through every damn day worrying about taking my BP, and then obsessing that I'm on the verge of a damn stroke.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:35 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

I like you have the same wierd readings of my diastolic. After exercising, I get really nice low numbers (105/65, 98/70) and then about a half hour later the diastolic goes up to 125, but the systolic stays a nice low 70s number. I have seen it shoot up to 135 before.
This morning, woke up, took my meds, checked bp and hour later after driving in the car listening to music and singing along get to the office and wammo 135/70.
I asked my doctor about it also and he said that its nothing to worry about. Lennin/KenKeith.. any ideas?

lyl

Old 06-28-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

125-135 systolic is not bad!!! I would be about 75% less anxious if my BP readings were in that range on a regular basis! I assume you mean SYSTOLIC not DIASTOLIC? If that is the case, you are fine.

acp

Old 06-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp44;306***2
I wonder if I'm putting too much pressure on myself mentally? I take every BP supplement, eat the DASH diet, do an hour of intense cardio every day, all trying to FORCE myself not to get high blood pressure. There is also a part of my subconscious that keeps telling me that if I do HAVE high blood pressure, I am screwed...that I will end up on 5 meds and NOT bring it down!

So whenever I get an elevated reading, THAT'S the outcome I interpret. I hate it too, a lot. I go through every damn day worrying about taking my BP, and then obsessing that I'm on the verge of a damn stroke.
Maybe you are putting too much pressure on yourself... it helps to take your readings over the day then average them out. If I went on the basis of each reading as an individual I would have a stroke BP or no BP... but if I take all the readings I have during a day and average them out I get something that I can live with and that can actually give me a better picture of what is going on.

I know from personal experience that it can be very hard not to get fixated on the old BP monitor, you worry about what numbers are going to come up and immages of strokes and MI's dance through your head as the numbers count down. I have had to make myself see the monitor as a tool and not a grim reaper... no matter what numbers some up I am still here... the numbers do not determine who and what I am. I own what is happening to me, it is mine... it belongs to me and it is hard when I cannot control what I own, it is not even a matter of controlling the numbers as controlling the situation.

You are doing everything humanly possible to control the BP you own... but even the best of us cannot control everything in our lives all the time. Sometimes we have to vent to let that frustration out, sometimes we have to take stock and think of new ways to deal with it... and sometimes we have to turn off the lights, grab a cold drink and a snack that is not always healthy for us and watch an absolutely horrible movie on the TV and give ourselves a little vacation from life. This afternoon I am going to veg in front of my TV watching Ringo Starr in Caveman, sip some caffine free green tea so cold my teeth freeze and nibble on popcorn (no salt, I gave up salt years ago and actually don't like the taste anymore) and allow myself a gooey messy brownie!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Well spoken penybobeny. I have reached the point with my numbers where I think every thing I eat, or every glass of wine I drink is going to precipitate a stroke.

I am also engaging in fear-replacement: first was the fear that my BP was going up. Second was the fear that lifestyle wouldn't bring it down. NOW is the fear that if I go on meds (and my doctor tomorrow may very well say now is finally the time), that they won't work!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp44 View Post

I am also engaging in fear-replacement: first was the fear that my BP was going up. Second was the fear that lifestyle wouldn't bring it down. NOW is the fear that if I go on meds (and my doctor tomorrow may very well say now is finally the time), that they won't work!
Just remember that medications are tools, they are not crutches nor are they a sign of failure. If your DR does put you on medication you need to see it as being given another tool to use... if you go in with the mindset that they will not work you might make it a reality. Our brains are wonderous and mysterious things and we as humans have not tapped even a tenth of our brain's potential... we can set a mindset to prevail over unbelievable odds and do it and at the same time we can set ourselves up for failure and make it happen.

In 1999 I was in ICU... on a repirator... I had a bad reaction to anesthesia and they did not expect me to live through the night... I remember waking for a moment hearing voices... it took too much energy to open my eyes but I heard two nurses talking about me, I heard my name... and they said I was going to die. I got mad (no one tells me what to do ) and decided that I was not going to die. They had no idea that I was conscious... my heart was 4 times normal size... my lungs filled with fluid and they could not get my blood oxygen above 80. Well, I decided that I would live and I did... there was no reason that I should have medically, it was just a chance encounter where I happened to come to for a moment when they were talking.

I also had a Grandmother that simply decided she was going to die and did... there was nothing wrong with her, the autopsy showed nothing... she just decided that it was going to happen no matter what and it did.

You can get through this, if it helps any I will just start and keep thinking that you will get control of things until you are able to think that for yourself... then you will know that at least one person out there thinks that you can do this. It is not in any way, shape or form that I think you are not trying or trying hard enough... I think that you are overwhelmed by what is going on and need a friend that will take some of the pressure off of you. We are here for you when and if you need us.

Closed Thread