It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
(female)

zeyavia HB User
can xanax cause my blood pressure to be low?

have been taking it for anxiety and has helped
but today i took it and felt very lightheaded...which is normally a symptom of my anxiety...or so i thought...but today the xanax did not help that and i know in the past my pressure has been low...
i really dont want the xanax to be effecting that cause it helps me so much do the things i need to do
but tonight after work(8hours after i took the xanax) it was 104/79 which i know isnt that low but low enough...
i also am getting my period so could that be a cause of it???anyone know?

Old 06-30-2007, 02:43 AM   #2
(female)

Teacupforme HB UserTeacupforme HB User
Re: can xanax cause my blood pressure to be low?

your BP 104/79 is not low. It is normal, and it is a very good reading. Xanax is a CNS depressant,and lightheadedness,and dizzyness is an occasional side-effect. You need to be careful, and monitor side-effects anytime you take any medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2007, 05:17 AM   #3
(female)

zeyavia HB User

my father told me it was low... but then i looked it up here and saw it wasnt that bad...but this morning its 96/67 or something like that
anyway i know xanax can make you feel that way but all the other times i took it i never felt lightheaded so im wondering if it was something else...and i only take a SMALL amount...im not even taking a whole .25 pill...
i mean if the xanax would make me feel lightheaded now all the sudden should i stop
plus the fact i dont think its the xanax cause i feel lightheaded when im not on it ya know...just a feeling i have...its scary

Old 06-30-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

I agree with Teacup---your bp's just fine.

Side effects from drugs can appear immediately upon taking the drug, or after being on the medication for months or years. Just because you don't feel lightheaded when you're not on it does not mean it is not the xanax. The drugs stay in your body for a period of time---I checked the half life of xanax, and it is as long as 40 hours in some people. Certain populations (I believe Asians, for example) can extend the half life of this drug for 15-20 percent! And according to the clinical studies done on xanax, over 20 percent experienced some lightheadedness.

Your pharmacist would have more information for you.

Bsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 06-30-2007 at 06:23 AM.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
(female)

zeyavia HB User

no i feel lightheaded when IM NOT ON IT...meaning that i am pretty much always lightheaded since i dont take xanax on the regular...i have only taken it 6 or 7 times and never had a bad exp. with it
im not even saying that i had a bad exp. just that i was lightheaded throughout the day...
i dont know...i know that can be a side effect but i dont know if it is one that would prevent me from taking xanax since it helps my anxiety greatly

Old 06-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

In answer to your question, xanax does not lower your blood pressure. I have taken it for the past 6 months, and it does absolutely nothing to lower mine. The only effect it has is to cause me to freak out that much less when I get high readings.

acp

Old 06-30-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
(female)

zeyavia HB User

so your blood pressure is normally high???what about though for someone who normally has a moderate pressure???i guess its fine...i mean im just being my usual paranoid self...
what bout the dizziness though...im just baffled by it

Old 06-30-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Xanax CAN make you dizzy and woozy, yes...very much so. But xanax does not and can not act directly on blood pressure. If it did, many people on this board would jump on it instantly!

Old 06-30-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
(female)

zeyavia HB User

but im wondering why i didnt have that side effect before
IS IT POSSIBLE IT WASNT THE XANAX MAKING ME FEEL LIGHTHEADED???like i said it wasnt an all day thing...off and on and at some points i was fine...i normally do feel lightheaded even off the xanax so its hard to tell what it was...the xanax did though make me not freak out about it like i usually do
im thinking im not taking enough maybe so it isnt combatting the anxiety the whole way...i dont know...

oh yeah i know your a male...lol...but i really think my period had something to do with it as well...

Last edited by zeyavia; 06-30-2007 at 08:47 AM.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Anemia can cause light headedness and fainting (and low blood pressure)...and having one's period can put a woman who is borderline anemic "over the border"....you might want to have your iron level checked if you haven't done so already...taking iron supplements may alleviate the symptoms of mild anemia.

Bsheba

Old 06-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #11
(female)

zeyavia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
Anemia can cause light headedness and fainting (and low blood pressure)...and having one's period can put a woman who is borderline anemic "over the border"....you might want to have your iron level checked if you haven't done so already...taking iron supplements may alleviate the symptoms of mild anemia.

Bsheba
you know i was anemic when i was younger...i used to wake up and have like 'blackouts' and then id be fine...
i stopped taking the supplements and then i was told i was 'borderline' but i wasnt 'anemic' by def....cause my level was like 11.0 and below that number is anemic but i was thinking...HELLO im right on the border
i was going to buy supplements but heard too much iron can be toxic...so what should i do...are there any foods that have iron in...

Old 06-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was borderline/anemic for awhile even though I was eating enough iron...my problem was that I wasn't getting enough vitamin C (because I "thought" that citrus fruits were irritating my stomach--they weren't, it was sleep apnea). Vitamin C is needed to process the iron, by the way. Red meats, liver, spinach, and beets come to mind as far as iron goes...but you best check the diet boards. There are many people with there who could help you, I'm sure.

But don't rule out the xanax....I had a friend who went off a med because of side effects (it wasn't xanax, tho) and the side effects lasted over 2 months after she had disco'd her meds.

Bsheba

P.S. You should probably check with your doctor's office before taking supplements and a rx medication, but usually an over the counter vitamin does the trick...iron tabs can cause stomach upset and constipation so they should be taken with food and lots of veggies!

Last edited by bethsheba; 06-30-2007 at 10:35 AM.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:37 AM   #13
(female)

zeyavia HB User

no i dont think the xanax is a problem...like i said it worked great except yesterday i was lightheaded...hmmm i might have to check that out
but now im worried bout until i get it checked out...will i be ok????

what if i just take an iron supplement for a day to see if it helps???

Old 06-30-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Beth,

Congratulations on your great achievement! That is a perfect BP level! I am so very happy for you! Thank you for re-visiting this board and keeping in touch. Your posts are greatly missed.

Quote:
because I "thought" that citrus fruits were irritating my stomach--they weren't, it was sleep apnea).
If you don't mind me asking, what is the connection between the two? (sleep apnea and stomach issues). Can sleep apnea cause GERD? I am starting to wonder about the gastro issue and breathlessnes. I have eliminated the BBs but still have problems in that area during exertion. (gastro discomfort & chest tightness & SOB)

Flowergirl

Old 06-30-2007, 06:04 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeyavia View Post
no i dont think the xanax is a problem...like i said it worked great except yesterday i was lightheaded...hmmm i might have to check that out
but now im worried bout until i get it checked out...will i be ok????

what if i just take an iron supplement for a day to see if it helps???
A call into your Dr's answering service might be worth the trouble... you can then ask your Dr about suppliments and your BP readings. It is worth it for your peace of mind.

While we can offer you our opinions it is not a diagnostic nor should you take anything you see here as a diagnosis... we can only offer our opinions, nothing more... so we can't tell you if you will be okay, only your Dr can.

You might also want to remember to keep hydrated... this is the summer and dehydration can sneak up on you over time. You might think that you are drinking enough, but caffinated or sugary drinks can actually cause you to dehydrate, and dehydration can cause lowered BP. I am not saying that you are dehydrated, but it is another thing that could cause symptoms like yours.

Closed Thread