It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)
 
CrazyLife414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 435
CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User
Beta Blockers and Diabetes

Hi Everyone...I just read an interesting article regarding beta blockers and diabetes. Basically put, it said that beta blockers can cause a person to become diabetic!
Has anyone else heard of this???? If so, is it true or just a theory?
I am calling my doc on Monday, but until then just wondering what you all know!
Thanks for your input!!!!
Crazy

 
Old 06-30-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 351
penybobeny HB User
Re: Beta Blockers and Diabetes

Hi there, Crazy...

The Beta-blocker-diabetes thing has been debating in the "low dose beta blocker" thread... as with everything these days you have to take the good with the bad it seems.

Sometimes I watch TV and an ad will come on for some new drug and at the end is that same male voice talking at 10000 words a minute telling you all the side effects... it is like that new FDA approved diet pill that has hit the market by storm... yeah, you lose weight, but it is recomended that you wear dark colored pants and carry spare pants because of "accidents" (they should just sell them with depends)

The fact is that you have to decide... do you live with a lower risk of stroke and MI at the risk of insulin imbalance, sparing some organs at the risk of others. There is no win win situation...
__________________
If all that doesn't kill you makes you stronger then just call me SuperMan

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-01-2007, 05:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,484
Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Beta Blockers and Diabetes

Crazy,
Beta-blockers, especially Beta-2 blockers have an effect on glucose metabolism and kidney function. BUT selective beta-1 blockers probably don't. So maybe a selective blockers is the better choice for someone with diabetic concerns.

In any case, studies have shown that diabetics get MUCH MORE protection after a heart attack from beta-blockers than do non-diabetics.

I doubt anyone seriously suggests that beta-blockers will CAUSE diabetes, in fact thhey are probably UNDER-prescribed becasue of this perceived kidney and sugar involvement.

But I have long said that I think beta-blockers are the WRONG class of drugs to use for simple hypertension unless it is accompanied by tachycardia, migraine, cardiomyopathy/heart failure, or ischemic angina. There are too many less bothersome alternatives for just high blood pressure.

 
Old 07-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)
 
CrazyLife414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 435
CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User
Re: Beta Blockers and Diabetes

Thanks for the replies... I have been on 25mg of Atenolol since March of this year. 2 weeks ago when I had my bloodwork done my fasting blood sugar was 100. My doctor said that I have to work hard to correct anything that is going on in my body that might be a risk factor to diabetes because she believes that I am "pre" diabetic....(this is my first time having even a little bit abnormal blood sugar)
My 2 hour glucose numbers were not bad, my cholesterol is not bad (LDL 115 and she wants it below 100 was her only concern)...
My blood pressure is borderline, except when stressed and then it can go as high as 98/150 and that is what made my old doctor put me on the Atenolol.
I was going to have my new doctor revisit my blood pressure at my Sept appt, but I now wonder if I should not have that visit sooner than later...
Anyway,thank you again!!!
Have a great day!!
Crazy

 
Old 07-01-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Carlsbad, CA, United States
Posts: 81
joe86 HB User
Re: Beta Blockers and Diabetes

Beta blockers made the headlines in the U.K. last year because they were shown to be less effective for lowering blood pressure than previously believed and they increased the risk of heart attack, stroke and diabetes (when compared with other bp drugs).
The result is that they are being withdrawn in the U.K. for the treatment of hypertension, though continued for heart disease.
The connection with diabetes is not strong but it exists. I doubt if you have any risk at a minimal dose of 25 mg. But do you really need it? An episode of high blood pressure when under stress does not merit drug treatment in my book. You should monitor your own bp closely and if this is just a rare episode of stress I would insist on getting off the atenolol.

 
Old 07-02-2007, 05:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,484
Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Beta Blockers and Diabetes

I too have trouble with people being judged "pre-hypertensive" and "pre-diabetic" and then being drugged as a result. Let's face it, we are all pre-something... "pre-dead" springs to mind, but we don't go out and buy coffins.

To treat a symptomless disease like hypertension is one thing but to treat those who don't even HAVE it yet is quite another. The body is made to deal with stressful situations in a myriad of way and raising the BP to 150/98 is only one of these ways. THe proper judgement of BP is to be made when reclining confortably for 5 minutes, relaxed, with both feet on the floor, and cuff at heart level...probably the IDEAL measurement is a 30 day average of readings taken like this. "Borderline BP" should be WATCHED, not medicated.
What is your average relaxed reading?

Crazy,
Why does your doctor want an LDL<100? Heart disease?

Last edited by Lenin; 07-02-2007 at 05:32 AM.

 
Old 07-02-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bryan, TX, USA
Posts: 302
acp44 HB User
Re: Beta Blockers and Diabetes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
I too have trouble with people being judged "pre-hypertensive" and "pre-diabetic" and then being drugged as a result. Let's face it, we are all pre-something... "pre-dead" springs to mind, but we don't go out and buy coffins.

To treat a symptomless disease like hypertension is one thing but to treat those who don't even HAVE it yet is quite another. The body is made to deal with stressful situations in a myriad of way and raising the BP to 150/98 is only one of these ways. THe proper judgement of BP is to be made when reclining confortably for 5 minutes, relaxed, with both feet on the floor, and cuff at heart level...probably the IDEAL measurement is a 30 day average of readings taken like this. "Borderline BP" should be WATCHED, not medicated.
What is your average relaxed reading?

Crazy,
Why does your doctor want an LDL<100? Heart disease?
I concur. At age 45, I'd be incredibly surprised if I wasn't "pre-something!" My "borderline" blood pressure and blood sugar is annoying, but it just doesn't surprise me.

As the great social critic Paul Fussell once said, "Many Americans think aging and death are optional."

acp

 
Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GA
Posts: 134
jp39 HB User
Re: Beta Blockers and Diabetes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
Crazy,

But I have long said that I think beta-blockers are the WRONG class of drugs to use for simple hypertension unless it is accompanied by tachycardia, migraine, cardiomyopathy/heart failure, or ischemic angina. There are too many less bothersome alternatives for just high blood pressure.
Which classes of the HBP drugs do you like better?

 
Old 07-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)
 
CrazyLife414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 435
CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User
Re: Beta Blockers and Diabetes

Hi ... I agree about the pre stuff, at my age I would expect to be "pre" something...I have enough to worry about, I don't really need anymore to tell the truth

My Total Chol = 190
HDL = 52
LDL = 115
TRI = 136

CRP = <1 I think this means that my heart is okay????

Fasting Blood Sugar = 100 (which I guess is right on he border)

The doc did a 2 hour glucose tolerance test and those numbers were all within the ranges...


My doc wants the LDL below 100 because of her suspicions of me being "pre"diabetic...My Mom has diabetes so she was concerned.
My bp is usually around 15-120/70-80...before I started the Altenolol I ran more like 130/85. I am about 25 pounds overweight and have a very stressful life, but I don't drink or smoke and have taken up swimming laps for exercise (I live in AZ, not much you can do when it is 105 at 8:00). I am also working on the diet.... I am told a SouthBeach type of diet is good, any opinions????
I am also really working on ridding myself of the stress and anxiety in my life, I know that is a contributor as well.
I would really like to get off of the Altenolol if I can.....

I just want to be healthy and watch my babies grow up...
Thanks for everything!!!
Crazy

 
Old 07-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bryan, TX, USA
Posts: 302
acp44 HB User
Re: Beta Blockers and Diabetes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLife414 View Post
Hi ... I agree about the pre stuff, at my age I would expect to be "pre" something...I have enough to worry about, I don't really need anymore to tell the truth

My Total Chol = 190
HDL = 52
LDL = 115
TRI = 136

CRP = <1 I think this means that my heart is okay????

Fasting Blood Sugar = 100 (which I guess is right on he border)

The doc did a 2 hour glucose tolerance test and those numbers were all within the ranges...


My doc wants the LDL below 100 because of her suspicions of me being "pre"diabetic...My Mom has diabetes so she was concerned.
My bp is usually around 15-120/70-80...before I started the Altenolol I ran more like 130/85. I am about 25 pounds overweight and have a very stressful life, but I don't drink or smoke and have taken up swimming laps for exercise (I live in AZ, not much you can do when it is 105 at 8:00). I am also working on the diet.... I am told a SouthBeach type of diet is good, any opinions????
I am also really working on ridding myself of the stress and anxiety in my life, I know that is a contributor as well.
I would really like to get off of the Altenolol if I can.....

I just want to be healthy and watch my babies grow up...
Thanks for everything!!!
Crazy
Wow, I'm surprised you were put on meds for 130/85! My doctor won't even think about meds unless I have steady readings above 140/85...

 
Old 07-04-2007, 06:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,484
Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Beta Blockers and Diabetes

jp39,

Personally, I think the best combo for MOSTpeople is an ACE inhibitor and a diuretic, but this must be tailored to an individual. If one coughs from an ACE inhibitor or builds a tolerance to them then an ARB ($$$) is probably a good replacement. This is for ONLY hypertension...with other conditions on top of BP, then beta-blockers and calcium channel blockers have their place.
For the proven SALT SENSITIVE minority, there is NOTHING that works as well as a diuretc...or salt restriction.
But beta-blockers for JUST hypertension...a bad choice in my book.

Crazy,
I think that a 25 pound weight loss will likely remove your hypertension AND diabetic issues. Make that your #1 priority,
South Beach? If it gets you the weight loss, fine. But I think there are FAR more balanced low-cal diets out there. But Low carbbing (as South Beach definitely is) gets good effects on blood glucose and triglycerides. If you DO go the SB route, try to keep the animal fats as low as possible...that is gonna be TOUGH!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-06-2013 at 11:00 AM.

 
Old 07-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #12
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GA
Posts: 134
jp39 HB User
Re: Beta Blockers and Diabetes

Lenin,

Thanks for your input. I am currently taking the dreaded 50 mg of Toprol XL for almost a year. It has lowered my diastolic but my systolic is still too high. The alternative ACE inhibitor that my doctor said he would prescribe was Altace. Maybe I should ask for lisinopril since it is generic. Heck while I am there, maybe he give me a sample of Cialis.

If I am able to switch to the ACE class, how long do I need to taper off the beta blocker?

I understand about the weight loss. I do strength training twice a week but need to up the cardio routine to lose the weight. I do have mild sleep apnea which along with the extra 15 pounds contribute to my HBP.

Last edited by jp39; 07-04-2007 at 07:03 AM. Reason: additional info

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Reducing heart rate with beta blockers in hypertension is it harmful or Atenolol? ACE28 High & Low Blood Pressure 51 03-18-2010 05:03 PM
Beta blockers effect on Type II? uma_anne Diabetes 7 04-12-2009 08:57 AM
Are all ace inhibitors and beta blockers the same? Shanifaye High & Low Blood Pressure 10 02-18-2009 10:35 AM
Need to change Beta blockers due to exhaustion,which one is best? Teacupforme High & Low Blood Pressure 11 09-18-2007 07:42 PM
Beta Blockers & b/p in Aorta famnd High & Low Blood Pressure 11 09-17-2007 09:01 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Atenolol
Benicar
Clonidine Cozaar
Diovan
  Lisinopril
Lotrel
Norvasc
Potassium
Toprol




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Machaon (55), atengnr (48), JJ (35), soflsun (29), Flutterbye77 (17), flowergirl2day (16), flitz (16), zuzu8 (15), cartner (12), rudiraven (12)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1182), MSJayhawk (1015), Apollo123 (913), Titchou (862), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (760), midwest1 (671), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:11 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!