It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
A new & surprising blood pressure lowering tip

Hello everyone,

I came across this tip today(from a well meaning friend) and though somewhat skeptical, will look into it. For now, I'll share the following:

According to a certain wellness magazine article, (in front of me) there's a strong link between our potassium intake and blood pressure.
This information comes from the researchers from John Hopkins University.
The average intake of potassium is 2500mg daily. If another 2,340mg is added to an average diet, it will result in a BP reduction as well as a lower risk of stroke. (I am paraphrasing).

There's a free report available with the specifics...yeah, they are pushing a magazine subscription.. but, as a teaser, a recipe for a banana shake:

2 sliced bananas
2 c fat-free milk
2 c nonfat vanilla yogurt
1/2 c pineapple juice
1 TBsp honey

622 mg potassium, 207 cal, 11g pro, 38mg carb, 1g fat, 9mg chol, 1g fiber,145mg sodium.

I'll see what I can find out.
Flowergirl

Old 07-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User
Re: A new & surprising blood pressure lowering tip

Dang...! I was hoping your were going to say more sex is in order...

Post what you find out. I'd love to hear.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

Pssst... Venture....

There is a wives tale that states that sex will lower blood pressure... but then again, think of all the people that die of heart attacks while having sex... so maybe it does lower it, if it does not kill you...

(For some reason I could see a line of people around the block at the National Institutes of Health if they proposed a study on this... brave souls... all of them willing to risk their lives in the name of research)

Last edited by penybobeny; 07-26-2007 at 07:48 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Old 07-27-2007, 04:49 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

I take Potassium on a regular basis in pill form for leg cramps. Its good to know that it could be helping my bp also. Venture and Peny about the other comment, if there is a release of hormones during the act I am sure that it can help with lowering bp. I have noticed that my SVTs and bp is lower when I am more active

Old 07-27-2007, 07:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

They say that laughter is the best medicine......this could easily the second best!

Good for you, lylone!

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 07-27-2007 at 07:26 AM.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
...According to a certain wellness magazine article, (in front of me) there's a strong link between our potassium intake and blood pressure.
This information comes from the researchers from John Hopkins University.
The average intake of potassium is 2500mg daily. If another 2,340mg is added to an average diet, it will result in a BP reduction as well as a lower risk of stroke. (I am paraphrasing).
Hello Flowergirl,

Sounds like you are keeping up with your research, grin! We can never learn enough!

The potassium connection is not new but apparently needs to be brought to the public's attention....the importance of potassium is discussed and incorporated in the DASH diet. Some researchers believe that potassium plays a greater role in blood pressure control than sodium.

Some of the research that I've seen was published in February 2001, was data collected from more than 17,000 adults, and the results of the study suggested that a diet with 8.5 servings of fruits and vegetables (providing 4,100 mg of potassium) lowered bp by 7.2/2.8 mmHg (systolic/diastolic) in people with hbp.

But again, details can be found in the link I have listed under my thread titled "Lifestyle Changes Can Reduce Systolic B/P by..."

Bethsheba

Old 07-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

Well, I wondered why I went for 5 years without and SVT and then whammo started having them every three months.
My boyfriend and I bought a house together and since April, no SVTs and the only thing I could determin why is lack of release of hormones.... Hmmmm I wonder if there has been any studies done on this....

Old 07-27-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

I spent considerable time going through the archives of current and previous years' press releases by the John Hopkins University. They are too numerous! I got distracted very easily....too many times, without finding the right study. I found it (and others) later through another search elsewhere.

It's not a false claim. The statement that potassium reduces blood pressure is true.

In the study mentioned by the wellness magazine, the data from previous 33 smaller studies was reviewed and the results combined. The average reduction in blood pressure was 4.4 mmHg systolic and 2.5 mmHg diastolic. Potassium supplements were used & evaluated in the studies, not actual food.
Potassium supplements proved more helpful in people with severe hypertension and with high salt intake. Generally, the use of potassium supplements is not recommended. People should get their potassium from food sources. The potassium from food is superior to potassium obtained from supplements.

Another study, published in the Archives of Internal Medicine (Feb 2001), called NHANES III, came to these conclusions:

A diet of 8.5 daily servings of fruits/vegetables daily provided 4100mg of potassium. This resulted in an average reduction of 7.2mmHg sys/2.8mmHg diastolic in people with high blood pressure. That's about 1/2 of a reduction achieved with the use of ONE blood pressure medication. Impressive, I'd say!

People with a low dietary intake of potassium have an increased risk for developing high blood pressure and suffering a stroke.
Bottom line: the recommended daily intake for HEALTHY adults is 4700mg.
Sources of potassium are bananas, beans, tofu, potatoes, fruits and vegetables. Diet of fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains and low fat dairy products shaves points off BP. Loosing weight, reducing sodium, a boost in a potassium intake and limiting alcohol are all proven ways to lower blood pressure.

Flowergirl

Old 07-27-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Thanks, Beth & FG. I'm going to try double my potassium intake. I agree that it is best to get one's potassium from food sources. One reason is there maybe other nutrients in the food that are needed to absorb potassium or work with potassium to low b/p. Taking supplements could be dangerous if one gets too much too fast. Fam

Old 07-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #10
(male)

nclark42 HB User

Hi all. First time
poster here. Registered to chime in on this thread, but I'll probably be around in the future...

The DHHS RDA for potassium is 4700mg, which is really tough to get unless you're trying. To help me along my way, one thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread is Molasses...If you can stand the taste! I don't really mind it, but you can pinch your nose or just chug it in a blended drink or just eat it raw and chase it with something immediately afterward.

I buy Plantation brand unsulphured blackstrap molasses, and I take it twice daily in separate blended drinks.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 Tbsp

Calories: 42
Sodium: 10mg
Potassium: 297mg
Total Carbohydrate: 11g
Sugars: 11g

Vitamin A: 20%
Calcium: 20%
Iron: 20%

Yup.

-N

Last edited by nclark42; 07-28-2007 at 02:02 PM.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

nclark, thank you very much for your post.

I think Fam and Beth use it. You don't see molasses listed as a source of potassium. It is not considered food. I wonder what it tastes like? Sweet? It cannot taste any worse than some cough syrups.

Beth,

I did not see your post until now. We were both talking about the same study. How great to see those numbers! I hope everyone diagnosed with borderline or stage 1 hypertension tries using lifestyle changes first before using antihypertensives.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Sounds logical.
You cannot excrete sodium without excreting a proportionate amount of potassium (something about the body preserving electrical neutrality.)
Thus people who eat a LOT of sodium or take diuretics to dump it will lose lots of potassium.

Logic decrees the reverse is also true: eat lots of potassium and your body tries to dump it and must dump sodium and its water load as well.

Thus potassium suppplementation is acting as a diuretic.

I read that people living in the bush gleaning whatever is edible tend to eat something like 18,000 mg. potassium...so it MUST be possible.

But gosh, at today's prices 8.5 servings of fruit and vegetables will cost an AWFUL lot. I paid $1 for a medium sized tomato last week.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-28-2007 at 03:14 PM.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I use the light colored molasses in baked beans which I eat about once a week (no fat). I like the Bred Rabbit brand. It is hard to find so I stock up when I can. It has a sweet taste but not like sugar. Fam

Old 07-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Nclark,

Welcome to our boards!

And thank you for the info on molasses, (which I have with my oatmeal). My molasses contains no potassium, only calcium, iron, and magnesium, so when my supply runs out, I will be buying black strap molasses, thanks to you! Actually, I use it to increase my iron consumption and to add flavor to relatively bland oatmeal. The two were meant for each other!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 07-28-2007 at 07:45 PM.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
.... You don't see molasses listed as a source of potassium. It is not considered food. I wonder what it tastes like? Sweet? It cannot taste any worse than some cough syrups...
Fg, molasses is considered food...it comes from sugar cane or sugar beets and contains minerals...you've eaten it when use brown sugar (which is white sugar flavored with molasses), and you've eaten it if you've treated yourself to gingersnap cookies, gingerbread, or baked beans. The flavor is wonderful...but thanks to nclark, I learned that it is the black strap molasses that contains potassium...my regular unsulfered, does not.

Quote:
...We were both talking about the same study. How great to see those numbers! I hope everyone diagnosed with borderline or stage 1 hypertension tries using lifestyle changes first before using antihypertensives.
Yes, we were talking about the same study. I didn't know if I could "name" it on the board. Of course it is only 1 study, but it is large, respected, and their are others out there with similar results. The Joint Committee's recommendations (see my thread "Lifestyle Modifications Can Reduce Systolic BP by..." is the "gold standard" for physicians who treat patients with high blood pressure. The Joint Committee recommends lifestyle changes for those with borderline hypertension. Unfortunately, some of us were treated by "aggressive" physicians and our conditions may have worsened as a result.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 07-28-2007 at 07:06 PM. Reason: quotes, what else?

Closed Thread