It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #16
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User
Re: Desperate 26yr Male - Sudden onset of Hypertension 1 month ago.

Hi there!

I am so glad to hear that you have found a Dr that is willing to listen and act... it sounds like you are well on your way to the treatment that you need.

Just remember that pheochromocytoma can be found wherever chromaffin tissue can be found... this means that it can be anywhere in the body, so even if the CT comes back normal on your adrenals there are other places that should be looked into. There are many that have had extra-adrenal pheo's found on their necks, aortas... anywhere there is cromaffin tissue in the body.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers... hopefully your search will be a short one and you will get your cure.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:26 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Jim,

I think there's a good chance a good adrenal and kidney scan will reveal the cause of your problems given your high catecholamine levels. I HOPE it's not pituitary (unlikely) .

Last edited by Lenin; 08-03-2007 at 05:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 06:56 PM   #18
(male)

kerry4 HB User

i don't know if this is relevant. about 2 weeks prior to me having any problems... i felt an itch in my throat... as my wife had strep about 3 weeks before, i was thinking, thats what ill be getting, so i took some of her amoxicillin.

i took half of a amoxicillin pill (about 715mg) one night then the next night i took the remaining half plus a whole. That night i got nervous and tried to purge this amoxicillin.

well, i know that this is the only thing that i did that may have contributed to my downfall. i had never taken amoxicillin ever in my life prior to this.

a few days later i experienced the vertigo and swelling of saliva glands and diarreah.

In hindsight, i wonder if i never touched that crap if i would be perfectly fine today. I am wondering if i screwed up the good bacteria in my guts causing the headaches and excessive acid eventually causing duodenitis and gastritis.

Also, i am wondering if the swelling and allergy-like symptoms may be thrush resulting from the amoxocillin. I had been reading on thrush and it is basically fungus that overpopulates because the "good flora" isnt there to supress it.

I haven't had allergies to anything other than cats prior to all of this, that is why i found it huge surprise that when i initially visited my family doc and he prescribed me allergy meds saying i had allergies.

after reading more on thrush, the fungus that gets killed off create toxins that can flow into the bloodstream potentially effecting organs and the brain causing anxiety, hyperactivity and depression.

The hypotheses I am drawing is all of my ailments are caused from the overly abnormal stress I had experienced and a reaction to this amoxocillin that I foolishly consumed.

does anyone think that this could be it?

still today i still have canker type sores in my mouth, dry mouth, fatigue, sore throat, swollen glands, and swollen tonsils with white spots on them. also ringing/clogged ears, etc... the symptoms seems to line up with canida (thrush).

i know it wont be diagnosed completely without a doc saying so, but i just wanted some input from everyone else.

i had mentioned that i never taken antibiotics ever before (at least from what i can remember), i had thought they were just a harmless med, but my eyes are opened now to the dangers of antibiotics. they can be beneficial, but not when they're not necessary.

i wish i had a time machine to go back and test this theory by never touching this amoxocilin in the first place.

Please chime in if this sounds about right

Old 08-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #19
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

You can not do what you did with anti-biotics... what you did likely created a mutation. Maybe this mutation is your downfall.

Antibiotics are to be taken seriously... and only with a Doctor's prescription.

Enough said.

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 08-03-2007 at 08:02 PM.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #20
(male)

kerry4 HB User

i now realize the mess i may have caused.

I did mention this to my family doc in my initial visit, however he claimed that i didnt take enough to cause any problems.

I doubt him.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #21
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

Hi there, BigJim...

I have had thrush many times (any time I go on antibiotics I get it) and I can tell you that the first symptom is usually a burning tongue... I mean stinging burning like you scalded it with boiling coffee... the tongue goes red then gets covered with white patches... there is no feeling like it, believe me.

If you think you might have gotten thrush there is an easy home cure... yogurt with live active culture. I find the best to use are the new yogurt smoothies on the market... swish it in your mouth for about 30 seconds then swallow (to get any thrush in your throat) every couple of hours.(get one of those little dosing cups used with most cough syrups at a pharmacy, they usually just give one to you and use that instead of drinking from the bottle to avoid contamination) In my experience it works as well as the usually prescribed anti-fungal swishes and tastes worlds better.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:16 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Good idea, Peny. I always eat yogurt when I take an antibiotic as a precaution unless it is contraindicated. Fam

Old 08-04-2007, 06:44 AM   #23
(male)

kerry4 HB User

i suspect thrush or candida as the first symptom i had was swollen saliva glands, follower by swollen tongue, then dry mouth and clogged head. This occured about 3 days following amoxicillin and a couple days prior to my initial er visit with palpitations and hypertension.

I had read about candida and read that it can affect the bloodstream and also the heart causing damage to valves, muscles, etc... I've had 3 EKG's done since this all occured, would they be sufficient in diagnosing valve issues?

Should I get an echo cardiogram? What can I do if I suspect candida infection? I guess my doc would have to prescribe antifungs meds.

Could Candida or thrush be responsible or have a helping hand in creating a sudden onset of hypertension?

Thanks

Old 08-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #24
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

BigJim-

Neither infections would have caused your 24 hour urine to come back elevated... and it is the secretion of those chemicals that caused your sudden onset BP, racing heart and many of your other symptoms.

You can bring up the other things to your Dr when you see him next, but I am pretty sure that, though you should not have taken a couple of anti-biotics that were not prescribed to you, they did not cause everything you are experiencing.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:13 AM   #25
(male)

kerry4 HB User

Well, i had my CT scan yesterday with the emphasis on kidneys and adrenal glands.

the doc said that he should have the results of my serum catecholamines test and ct scan today. i have my fingers crossed that they find something.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:21 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Quote:
i have my fingers crossed that they find something

Glad you had your scan done. I know exactly how you feel. You need the cause identified so that it can be dealt with. Hoping for abnormal test results may sound ridiculous to most...It's always a relief to know what condition one's dealing with. I hope you'll get some answers.

flowergirl

Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Yes, we'll keep our fingers crossed for you, bigjim!!! We'll be thinking of you, too!!

Bethsheba

Old 08-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #28
(male)

kerry4 HB User

I sincerely appreciate all of the support!!!

But, i did get some results.... 1/2 of them anyways.

I got a call from the docs. They had to tell me that the blood that i supplied them last week to be tested (3 vials) had a problem. Two of the vials disappeared, vanished, gone.... then the third vial that was sent to the lab (across the street from my docs office) had shattered in transit.

So, they asked me to come and give more blood.

I had my wife take me up to the clinic ASAP.

To reiterate, i had undergone the 24hour urinalysis and had substantially elevated catecholamine levels. The purpose of THIS blood test was to test the serum catecholamine levels as nobody has done this test yet.
Come to find out, I only needed one vial and not 3 as had been taken previously.

While there, we were directed to the in clinic lab to have blood drawn. I was anticipating the results of my CT scan, so i had been asking all nurses if I could speak to my doctor. They all said "no, he's gone for the day". My wife and I saw his nurses here and there.

Eventually, my wife found a nurse that is a friend of hers and she took us right to my doc. low and behold, they were all there.

I finally get the findings of my CT scan. Basically, nothing found. All my guts look fine. No masses.. nothing.

Frustration immediately ensued as this is the 2nd CT scan of the same area in just weeks within each other. My doc was completely aware of my previous CT scan, as I had my results with me during my initial consultation with him.

Anyways, he apologized for the mess with my blood test and said that he wanted to wait until we get the results to move further with diagnostics.

I said fine, but i had been complaining to all docs that I have seen about a sore/swelling bump on the left side of my neck near or on the thyroid area.
This swelling has been going on intermittantly since all my problems began June 28th.

All docs seemed to dismiss since my Thyroid TSH levels were apparently fine.

I demanded at least an ultrasound of my neck. He decided to do a CT of my neck with and without contrast.

I had that neck CT today. Hopefully, in a day or two, I will have results from both of those.

I had read that problems with the thyroid can indeed cause a sudden onset of hypertension. however, i cannot find information about any correlation between a problematic thyroid and elevated catecholamine levels.

Anyways, as I said, I have more results to look forward to, and hopefully there will be some answers. Just wanted to vent a bit.

Thank you all for your support.

James

Old 08-09-2007, 04:42 AM   #29
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Jim,

Are you running any fever through all this this?

What you are describing in your throat sounds to me most like bacterial tonsillitis but it ALWAYS causes fever, somethimes quite high.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:51 AM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Jim,

Did they only do a TSH? Were other thyroid tests done? Sometimes the TSH is all right but the others point to the right diagnosis. I tried to tell my PC Doc that but couldn't get her to understand. Luckily, I had an appointment with a endocrinologist the following week who confirmed that I had thyroiditis. Most regular Dr's don't exam the thyroid enough to get a feel for when it is swollen & inflamed.

Aspirin will decrease the swelling if you are able to take it. But don't take anything without checking with your Dr. because some of the tests might be inaccurate because of it. Good luck. Fam

Closed Thread