It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 04:12 AM   #46
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Desperate 26yr Male - Sudden onset of Hypertension 1 month ago.

I haven't taken Paxil, but someone I know did, and that person committed suicide. I believe the drug was to blame. After the death I did some reading about Paxil and learned that it was a VERY controversial drug!

Since 1992 when the drug was approved by the FDA over 5000 people sued SmithKlineGlaxo because they believed they weren't given adequate info about possible side effects. If I recall correctly, there was some suggestion that SKG knew about problems but didn't make those problems public. There are currently people out there protesting Paxil's existence. I would strongly suggest you investigate their concerns if you are considering taking this "med".

I just want to say, too, that depression can be a "symptom" of physical things that are going on, so I agree with the doctor there...and depression can be a very nasty symptom, but there may be healthier ways of dealing with it then medication...kind of like hypertension...good foods, music therapy, breathing therapy, talking therapy, physical activity (I know this one might be out for now), humor therapy, but you get the idea. Please don't get the impression I am opposed to anti depressants. I am not. I'm just concerned about a very complicated medical situation which increases in complexity when more meds are added.

And by the way, the chemistry in your head appears to be just fine! You're thinking and questioning!

Bethsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #47
(male)

kerry4 HB User

Thanks for the follow up. I have opted to not even consider paxil.

Here's something that is interesting. Just a week or so prior to my onset of hypertension/anxiety, etc... I had a bit of vertigo and swelling in my parotid (saliva glands) and stuffiness/swelling in my head, ringing/clogged ears, etc.
I have post nasal drip, but my nostrils are bone dry and have been for quite some time.

I still have these symptoms today which i have discussed with my doctor on more than one occasion. He says it is likely that I have allergies or an infection somewhere. I have only had allergies to cats, and that is only after constant contact for a long period of time.

Also, i have been getting swollen lymph nodes and really bad jaw tension. I though these may have stemmed from the anxiety or hypertension.

I noticed that when there is a slight clearing in the sinuses the jaw tension seemed to subside a bit.

I have had some occasional dry mouth and really horrible rushes of bad tastes in my mouth. I figured these would be from the prevacid i take at night.

Well, the other day, i noticed a cavity that had been bleeding, and i realized the bad taste had been emitting from this cavity.

I called and made an appt with my dentist for Monday and i explained all of my symptoms. I was told that a tooth infection could be the cause of all my sinus ailments, jaw tension, swollen lymph nodes, etc.. and could possibly produce bacteria that can affect the heart by way of endocarditits.

Now I am worried that maybe the cavity has been infected this entire time and contributed to all of my problems, including swollen thyroid.

I called my doc and explained that I would like to have an echocardiogram performed since this is a test that I have yet to undergo. He hasn't called me back yet.

I spoke with my endocrinologist and he seemed to think that I may have performed my initial 24hr urinalysis incorrectly leading to show that I have elevated metanephrines/catecholamines. That is one reason that he wanted me to complete a second 24hr test.
I hate to think it, but he may be correct.
The results I should get back on Thursday, so we shall see.

It scares me to think that a cavity could kill you or disease you so severely.

Is it possible for an infection to cause hypertension? Maybe the infection caused thyroiditis and that is the cause of hypertension and anxiety?

I guess i may have a better idea on Thursday when i get all my test results.

Since the on bringing of all my issues, i have vowed to NEVER neglect my health. I just hope that I can get back to 100% again.

Last edited by kerry4; 08-25-2007 at 07:39 AM.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #48
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Jim, I can't believe it-another thing we have in common medically!!! Here's how my health problems began:

My husband brought home a box of chocolate's that a customer had given him. I was in the middle of vacuuming so he popped one in my mouth (even though I'm not a big chocolate fan). Almost immediately I got pain in my back molar on the right lower side. Well, it kept hurting & started to get worse so I went to the dentist. An absess the dentist said & I would have to have a root canal or have the tooth pulled. He was not an endodontist but we were in a small town so he was the only one to do the job. It ended up as a long drawn procedure with each session painful & recovery worse.
After he was through doing the root canal, I was still in pain. Finally I said enough already & told him to pull the tooth. He offered to do the whole RC over. I had been having swollen lymph nodes in my neck & swallowing problems along the way.

So he pulls the tooth & the very next morning I woke up with a swollen thyroid gland & feeling like something the cat dragged in!!! My PC didn't really know what to make of the whole situation & send me to an endocrinologist who said I had thyroiditis. Apparently, when the tooth was pulled,the germs went to my thyroid. I found out later that in some people a canal of sorts is formed from the mouth to the thyroid so infection has an easy route. The Dr. wanted me in the hospital on complete bedrest. I pleaded with him to stay home with my young children (five under 6yrs). I promised to do everything he said & I did. I had to cut all my outside activities & not do any heavy housework etc. etc. My husband had to fill in for me. I was very hyperthyroid & then hypothyroid.

Did the Dr. do a SED rate? That is a marker for infection in the body. Mine was very high. I always have one done if I think anything is going on. You should be taking your AM temp (first thing in the morning before doing anything other than going to the bathroom). That way you will get to know what your normal temp is & recognize when you might be getting an infection.

Let us know what the dentist says. Fam

Old 08-25-2007, 09:25 AM   #49
(male)

kerry4 HB User

famnd:
did your thyroiditis dissapate and go back to normal? did this cause your hypertension, anxiety, etc?

if normal, do you still have anxiety and or hypertension?

you have me so curious if that's what I have experienced. did you have the shakes and bouts of lethargy? joint/muscle pain?

did they give you thyroid suppression meds then replacement meds or just leave you be?

do you have to take antibiotics for the root canal germs?

just under my adams apple I imagine is the thyroid. it feels bruised. on occasion it feels more swollen and hurts more.

With the infection, I feel like my face swells up a bit and my jaws get tight.

let me know

Last edited by kerry4; 08-25-2007 at 05:43 PM.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:35 PM   #50
(male)

kerry4 HB User

Alright, gone to the dentist today... basically i am told that I have peridontitis.
I need a root canal, crown and a filling for a tooth right next to my big cavity.

We get costs and insurance out of the way then the dentist proceeds to work on my teeth.

I get some numbing agents, a few shots of novacain, etc. I am feeling a bit anxious about this already.

He asks if I would like some nitrous. I have always used nitrous at every dentist visit, so I say yes, of course.

He hooks me up, and turns on the oxygen. Then slowly the nitrous oxide comes about, i take a few breaths then i begin to get cold.

I took a couple more breaths and I became really cold, my heart and pulse began racing.

I was freezing, my teeth were chattering and i couldnt sit still. I took off the mask and sat up. They knew something was up, the dentist stopped the nitrous and gave me oxygen. My heart was still racing but began to slow a bit.

We opted to perform the procedure at a later date. I was prescribed some antibiotics (that i am worried about taking) and some lortabs. Basically we are gonna wait till i get my lab results back on thursday from my endo to see if we can get to the bottom of my issues first,

I was still freezing when we left.

My wife drove me home and so I could get settled down.
I looked up the info on nitrous and found that I could have been experiencing HYPOTENSION. How could this be? I have high blood pressure. As much as I would like it lowered, its not been that low since all my issues came about. two months ago.

Diovan keeps me in the 116/60(rest) to 150/89(movement) range. Could it be that the nitrous affected the actual secondary cause of my hypertension causing my bp to drop the way it did?

I am thinking that my thyroid would be the cause of a lot of my probs, being that i may have a cyst on it and it feels like someone punched me there. Sore and bruised. Can nitrous have an affect on hyper/hypo thyroid?

Anyone experience this? Thanks

Old 08-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #51
(male)

kerry4 HB User

Alrighty, i have met with my endocrinologist today to go over all my tests that i underwent last week.

I found that all of my thyroid levels are fine. Had ultrasound and verified that i do have a 4mm cyst that is just nothing to worry about.

We were able to conclude that i messed up my initial 24hour urine test and the elevated levels of metanephrines were my fault.

On this new 24urine test i did exactly as requested. All metanephrine levels came back within range. Blood panel came back within range.

This is good because it rules a ton of stuff out.

However, there was one thing out of range. My cortisol level.

24hour urinary cortisol: 115.0 Reference Range: 4.0-50.0.

My endo said since it is NOT 3 times above normal, he wants me to repeat this urinalysis test in 2 weeks. Also an ATCH and serum cortisol test.

I had an MRI of my head today, so, that may show something on the pituitary. Im just glad to be getting to the bottom of this.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #52
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

BigJim,

Thanks for the update... it sounds like your Endo might be tracking down Cushings and like he is not only going to hunt it down but hunt it to extinction! You have a very good Dr on your side

Old 08-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #53
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi Jim,

Could you please tell me what you did incorrectly for the 24hr urine collection? I wonder if I, too did something wrong too. I know there wasn't enough urine in my urine collection. Glad you got some good news. Fam

Old 08-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #54
(male)

kerry4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
Hi Jim,

Could you please tell me what you did incorrectly for the 24hr urine collection? I wonder if I, too did something wrong too. I know there wasn't enough urine in my urine collection. Glad you got some good news. Fam
I started the test @ 7am.
well, I was to discard the 1st urine specimine as it was collected in the bladder from the previous evening. instead of discarding, I included.
so instead of being 24 hours, it was actually collected for several more hours than 24 showing an abnormally elevated level of all results.

I learned my lesson after 2 negative ct scans later looking for pheo, etc...

hope that makes sense to ya.

Closed Thread