It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 12:47 AM   #1
(male)

seadrops HB User
Question Unstable Blood Pressure

Hi, I'm a 48 yr old male with type 2 diabetes and Cirrhosis of the Liver (Alcohol related). I've been dry for 10+ years. I have been monitoring my bp for the last 2 yrs after a Dr's recommendation. During the last 6 months or so I've noticed the readings have become increasingly unstable. It can vary from 150/105 to 110/60 in the space of a few hours without doing anything to cause it(my average measurements over that period is 130/90). I do all my tests exactly the same way after sitting quietly for about 5 minutes (seated upright against a hard back chair). My lsft arm measurements always seem to be about 10 to 12 mmHg higher than the right arm (I'm right handed). I use a "AND ua-702" digital monitor with an arm cuff). I don't especially suffer any unusual stress and only get a bit light headed when I'm near the lower figures - otherwise no other signs. Can anyone possibly shed some light on what the cause of these swings may be? Many thanks, Dave

Old 08-01-2007, 04:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Unstable Blood Pressure

Quote:
It can vary from 150/105 to 110/60 in the space of a few hours without doing anything to cause it(my average measurements over that period is 130/90).
That is a huge swing unless accompanied by some exercise.
My first thought is that perhaps you are taking some meds that are fast acting and the timing of those meds determines any particular reading. What are you taking?

Why not trade that hard Quaker chair for something more comfortable, like a recliner set to your most comfortable angle. BP is supposed to be measured at our most comfortable...and a hard back chair sounds less than that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

My BP has done this too, so it sounds like classic BP anxiety to me. I would try and rule that out first.

acp

Old 08-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadrops View Post
Hi, I'm a 48 yr old male with type 2 diabetes and Cirrhosis of the Liver (Alcohol related). I've been dry for 10+ years. I have been monitoring my bp for the last 2 yrs after a Dr's recommendation. During the last 6 months or so I've noticed the readings have become increasingly unstable. It can vary from 150/105 to 110/60 in the space of a few hours without doing anything to cause it(my average measurements over that period is 130/90). I do all my tests exactly the same way after sitting quietly for about 5 minutes (seated upright against a hard back chair). My lsft arm measurements always seem to be about 10 to 12 mmHg higher than the right arm (I'm right handed). I use a "AND ua-702" digital monitor with an arm cuff). I don't especially suffer any unusual stress and only get a bit light headed when I'm near the lower figures - otherwise no other signs. Can anyone possibly shed some light on what the cause of these swings may be? Many thanks, Dave
Sea,

You might want your Dr to do some blood tests on your kidneys... creatinines to be specific. With your history of Diabetes and liver complications, a 24 hour urine test might not be a bad idea.

Blood pressure can vary between your arms, but a consistant difference of above 10 points should be looked into by a cardiologist as soon as possible.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Last edited by penybobeny; 08-01-2007 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Missed the variance in BP between arms when I read the post the first time

Old 11-17-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
(male)

jadawgis732 HB User

hello penybobeny or anyone else for that matter. i am a 23 year old male with slightly high bp. 150/105 the other day. i am never drink alcahol. i was put on lysinopro to treat me for the high bp. the first time i took the pill i started getting very dried out. i wasnt able to keep anything down and i thought i just needed saline to rehydrate me so i went to the hospital. my creatinine was 5 and they kept me overnight and monitored me for a few days. i insisted that it due the lysinopro, which for the first time using anything to treat my bp, worked wonders. it was 70/43 when i came to the er. is it possible the two are related. and finally why did u mention creatinine in the response above? thanks for reading and sorry for no punctuation, im doing this on my handheld.

Last edited by jadawgis732; 11-18-2007 at 10:26 AM. Reason: poorly worded

Closed Thread