It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 07:55 AM  
(male)

PT05 HB User
BP After Exercise

Hi,

After a light cardio workout at the gym i had my BP taken, turned out 141/88, is that normal after a workout, or is that too high after just a light session where my heart rate didn't go much further than 120.

Thanks.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:33 AM  
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User
Re: BP After Exercise

That is actually low BP, for exercise. BP typically rises, on average up to 200/100 during exercise, and weight lifters have gotten it up WAY higher than that. If your BP only rises that much, you are probably in great shape!

acp

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 03:19 PM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

PTO5,

There is a standard procedure for taking an accurate/meaningful bp reading...according to The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure , the following standard procedure is to be followed for an accurate reading:

avoid exercise, caffiene, smoking 30 minutes prior to reading
sit quietly in chair 5 minutes before reading
support arm at heart level

If you took your reading without following the standards, your pressures may have little meaning. Some people record their bp's night and day no matter what the conditions, and some people wear a bp monitor 24/7 no matter what the conditions, but in those cases the average bp reading is used.

So again, it's difficult to say what it means without knowing what standards you used to measure your pressures.

Bethsheba

Old 08-07-2007, 04:26 PM  
(male)

PT05 HB User

Thanks for the replies

I had waited about 5 minutes after exercise to take it. I just wanted to know whether my BP was normal after exercise, as in did it reach a too high level during exercise or if it was at a normal level.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:22 PM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

PT05,

I can't speak for actual numbers, as there are much more knowledgeable posters here than I. But I can report on my experience when I joined a local gym. They took down information about a middle-aged lady who hadn't exercised in far too long (ahem). Then they took my resting blood pressure. I don't remember the numbers, but it wasn't way out of line, considering my couch-potato history. Then I took a stress test -- pedaled my rear-end on a stationary bicycle while they monitored my pulse rate. When my pulse got up to a maximum for my age, I sat for a while and rested. (I think they took my blood pressure immediately afterwards.) They took my blood pressure again after some resting time (15 minutes, perhaps?) and noted that the numbers went down. I was told that it is normal for blood pressure to go high during exercise, but if my numbers didn't go down after a resting period, then they would refuse to sign me up at the gym and they would refer me to a doctor for discussion about high blood pressure.

My understanding is that this means that if your blood pressure comes down in a reasonable period after exercise, then your system is in relatively good shape. It's when your body doesn't recover afterwards that you need to worry.

--Rheanna

Old 08-08-2007, 10:24 AM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheanna View Post
...My understanding is that this means that if your blood pressure comes down in a reasonable period after exercise, then your system is in relatively good shape. It's when your body doesn't recover afterwards that you need to worry.

--Rheanna
Rheanna, you explained this so very well! Thank you!!

Bethsheba

Old 08-28-2007, 11:20 PM  
(female)

Sinopa2 HB User

I agree - thanks for the explanation, Rheanna!

Does anyone know what it means when blood pressure doesn't really respond to activity? Or if this can even happen? I appreciate any thoughts!

Old 08-29-2007, 04:51 AM  
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

I usually wait until my heartrate goes down to normal (60-80bmp) and then check my blood pressure. Mine usually goes down after about 15-20 minutes and that is after a cool down (slow walk) of at least five minutes. I have seen mine dip down into the 99/60 range before after exercise and before I take my evening betablocker.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:58 AM  
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

An adult resting heart beats at about 70 for males and 75 for females. The goal is not to exceed 150 beats per minute during exercise (for most, anyway).

The rate at which your pulse declines after exercise is refered to "Recovery heart rate".

The recovery heart rate is taken 2–10 minutes after exercise. You measure it over a 15-second sampling interval. The easiest way to do this is to be using a treadmill or cycle with pads that take your pulse during and after exercise.

A drop of 20 beats in a minute is typical for a healthy person. A drop of less than 12 beats per minute after maximal exercise has been correlated with a significant increase in mortality.

This is all I know. I always do the treadmill pulse pad after riding a stationary cycle. My pulse drops from 150 to 125 during the first two minutes... and even slower after that... but I'm also walking on the treadmill 2.5 MPH during my pulse check, so it doesn't drop much below 120 during the walk.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:25 AM  
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureMan View Post
An adult resting heart beats at about 70 for males and 75 for females. The goal is not to exceed 150 beats per minute during exercise (for most, anyway).

The rate at which your pulse declines after exercise is refered to "Recovery heart rate".

The recovery heart rate is taken 2–10 minutes after exercise. You measure it over a 15-second sampling interval. The easiest way to do this is to be using a treadmill or cycle with pads that take your pulse during and after exercise.

A drop of 20 beats in a minute is typical for a healthy person. A drop of less than 12 beats per minute after maximal exercise has been correlated with a significant increase in mortality.

This is all I know. I always do the treadmill pulse pad after riding a stationary cycle. My pulse drops from 150 to 125 during the first two minutes... and even slower after that... but I'm also walking on the treadmill 2.5 MPH during my pulse check, so it doesn't drop much below 120 during the walk.
This sounds exactly like my regimen. I get my HR up to 160, sometimes 165 for at least 20 minutes of the 60 minute cycle. It usually drops 20-25 BPM in the first minute when I stop the intense stuff and do the slow moving "cool down."

I have read conflicting things about a healthy heart rate recovery and had some questions about that. I heard anything over 12 is good. I also heard anything under 40 is bad from a few sources!!! I don't know anyone except Lance Armstrong who can probably do that, though I've hit 30-35 BPM in the first minute of recovery a couple times.

acp

Old 09-04-2007, 05:10 PM  
(female)

Sinopa2 HB User

Hey all! Anybody know about clood pressure? Like, what blood pressure is supposed to do during and after excercise? If anyone has any ideas about what it means when bp WON'T rise, I'd love to hear that too. Thank you!