It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
(male)

lmejianyc HB User
High Blood Pressure Medications side Side effects??

How long does Side effects suppose to last when is a good time to tell your doctor to change your meds..because since I been on med I been a little light headed my bp still run 140/90 somtime higher like 159/100....I'm going to the doctor on Wed so any good question I should ask please tell me... I'm running out of ideas what going on with me I was fine before all the meds stuff never light headed but alot of bloody nose I never knew is because my HBP..These are the seconds meds I try out

1. Aspir-low 81
2. tekturna 150mg
3. Enalapril Maleate (Vasotec)10 mg
4.water pill

And I lost about 40 pounds I was 310 now I'm 271 I'm 29

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: High Blood Pressure Medications side Side effects??

First off, a hearty congratulations on your weight loss!! That most certainly will help you reduce the number and or the amount of medications you will take. More weight loss may make it possible to get off of medications entirely!!! Go slowly and eat wisely and you will be rewarded many ways.

Definitely tell your doctor about your lightheadedness...it may help him to know when you experience the symptoms...is it 2 hours after taking the meds? does the lightheadedness come and go? Do you experience lightheadedness once a week? Once a month? Have you fallen? Have you passed out? Does the lightheadedness happen with a warning? Without a warning?

Tell him about your bloody noses...when do you get them? How badly do they bleed (do you use one tissue to stop the bleeding? or the entire box?) How long do they bleed? 1 minute? 5 minutes? 1 hour?

And tell him what your blood pressure readings are...but also tell him how you take those readings so he or his nurse can tell you if you are taking them correctly and consistently. 159/100 may be an acceptable blood pressure reading if you just finished a marathon run or chased after the dog....I don't know if it is or not, but it's important for your doctor to know how and when you take your blood pressure.

If your side effects are tolerable, ask your doctor how long it may be before they go away...if your side effects are not tolerable, tell your doctor what side effects you are experiencing and tell him you want to try different medicine.

If you don't get answers to your questions, or if you think of more questions after the doctor's visit, write down your questions and call your doctor's office. I get kind of nervous when I'm in the exam room and even if I have questions written down, I forget to ask them or get too nervous to ask them...so sometimes it is easier for me to call the office and to tell them what I want or need after my visit. They haven't charged me extra for these calls. The only problem is waiting around the house for the doctor to call.

There are no easy questions or answers to these things...do the best you can...you're a step ahead of everyone else because you're asking questions now!

Take care and good luck with your doctor's visit.

Bethsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
(male)

lmejianyc HB User

Thank you bethsheba for the fast reply I almost lost faith with this site lightheadednesses is not so bad most of the time I don't pass out of nothing it just bug me alot... Norvasc I was very lightheaded.... the bloody noses i dont get anymore since i take meds for hbp..... my lightheadednesses is 24 hour a day come and go but come more then it goes until i fall asleep... All I know is that it didn't start this until with all these meds came to my life this year...My family think I'm crazy.... My blood work is good mir the ekg is good of my brain dont have the results until the other doctor come back in Septermber thank you again bethsheba anymore advise to relax at the doctor appointment

Old 08-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Hello lmejianyc,

Please don't lose the faith...we're all in a similar boat here and we have good days, not so good days, and sometimes very bad days so we can't always be as "talkative" as we'd like. And I, for one, sometimes need to think abit before I answer as sometimes a quick answer means I've overlooked something important or my words don't mean what I want them to mean.

I think you need to tell the doctor what you're telling us...sometimes the lightheadedness is a nasty side effect and sometimes it means that our meds are too strong and working too well...so again, do tell your doctor...and you are definitely NOT crazy...I experienced lightheadedness to the point of passing out on at least one of my meds...it is not a rare side effect...very common. But it can be a dangerous side effect if you lose consciousness.

It must be a relief to know the results of your tests are good...and I'm sure you'll feel better once you talk to your doctor. Make sure he answers your questions as you pay for that privilege! And you are entitled to know and to understand what is happening to your body. If your side effects get worse, call your doctor's office right away. Things can change faster than you realize sometimes and it's better to be safe than to be sorry.

Take care and do keep us posted. And yes, it would be wonderful if one could relax at the doctor's office....

Keep the faith, lmejianyc!

Bethsheba

Old 08-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

As Beth mentioned, we are on the same boat. All drugs have side effects and affect each of us in different ways. That's why you might have to move on and try yet another blood pressure medication. Your lightheadedness will lessen or dissapear and you will be able to enjoy life once again. Most of us on this board have experienced many side effects of the drugs we were prescribed. The goal is to find those meds whose side effects you can live with. Your doctor should work with you and help you achieve that.

I checked the side effects of your meds and there are at least two that can cause lightheadedness. They are Enalapril and Tekturna. Hctz (if that's the water pill you are on) can cause lightheadedness also.

I then ran your meds through the interactions checker. Enalapril and Hctz taken together have an additive effect. That means that your 10mg dose might affect you as 20mgs or more would and make your lightheadedness that much worse.

Aspirin also interacts with Enalapril. Those on a small dose should not be affected greatly and the evidence of negative interactions in higher dosages is somewhat contradictory as the studies were quite complicated.

I had the same issues in the past with lightheadedness. Just like constant nausea, it can make our lives miserable. I really don't know which drug to suggest for you to try. Some of the others have side effects that are even worse. How about an ARB? You could ask your doctor about those. They have relatively few side effects, IF you can tolerate them.

PS. ARB stands for Angiotensin Receptor Blockers. They are: AVAPRO, DIOVAN, COZAAR and ATACAND.

Good luck with your appointment
Don't give up hope

Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-07-2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Adding PS

Old 08-10-2007, 02:54 AM   #6
(male)

lmejianyc HB User

Thank you.... My appoinment was ok my hbp was very high 160/120...The doctor didn't say much all my test are normal... I show him my home test most of the time it hits 140/90 still high he siad and still take your meds and see you in 3 months...I ask him about Acupuncture he don't recommand it I told him write on a paper saying I can do it... becuse I think it work for me it relax me and it work for alot of people...I'm still 271 pounds size 38 before it was 40 I want to be 160 and size 28 lol

Old 08-10-2007, 06:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

lme,

Tekturna is a VERY new drug of a different type. It claims lowering of systolics of around 2-5 mm. Hg. and lowering diastolics far less so it's weak.

My fave online pharmacy doesn't yet stock it so I cannot tell the price but I can GUESS it is orders of magnitude higher than other antihypertensives.
My personal feeling is to NEVER take a brand new class of drugs until it has been around a couple years...let OTHERS be guinea pigs.
Since it doesn't seem to be doing much, it would be the first thing I;d discard. Don't be surprised if your doctor fights you on this becasue there is a VERY good chance that your doctor is receiving $$bucks$$ from Novartis for each prescription...either directly or indirectly.

My prediction is that this drug will become the new NORVASC in generating huge amounts of money for its manufacturer <if it doesn't start causing heart attacks that is. >

Quote:
because since I been on med I been a little light headed my bp still run 140/90 somtime higher like 159/100
Hmmm, light headed AND poor control.
Your doctor needs to step back to square zero and get you on a different drug regimes. Bad enough to suffer side effects with effective drugs...suffering side effects from INeffective ones is just poor medicine.
Since both your ACE inhibitor and the Tekurna are addressing renin issues, perhaps your doctor should be looking into NON-renin issues like fluid retention from salt sensitivity. A way to test his might be to stop the ACE and Tekturna and double your diuretic and see if that gives you a good BP response.

How much and which diuretic are you taking?

Old 08-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

joefine HB User

I have tried eight (8) different blood pressure medicines so far and I cannot tolerate the side effects of any of them!

Old 08-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Which ones have you tried? Do you keep a list? It would be interesting to see how many classes of BP drugs you've actually tried and which ones might still be an option for you.

How bad is your blood pressure? What are your average readings? Just wondering if a lifestyle modification and some weight loss might be enough to deal with your hypertension.

Flowergirl

Old 08-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

joefine HB User

Hi, Flowergirl2day (another nice name!) -

My BP isn't all that horrid - and I wish I never even heard of blood pressure! I'm a lifetime athlete and very muscular (but I think maybe the heart doesn't actually distinguish between fat and muscle). I have been neglecting aerobic (but not strength) exercise lately due to an injury and the extreme heat here. So I'm thinking I'd be better off just doing more aerobics and trimming down and maybe meditating - and I have also been on edge lately. Perhaps, if I have to take a drug, a tranquilizer would be a better thing to take than these killer BP medicines. I hate them!!!

The classes of drugs I've tried so far are: ARB, ACE inhibitor, calcium channel blocker, beta blocker, and thiazide diurtetic/water pill.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:29 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

joefine HB User

[Please check the Registration/Membership/Site Problems Board to find answers to your questions, or post a question regarding the setup of HealthBoards there. mod-anon]

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-12-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:17 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

joefine HB User

Interesting counterpoint I just read - and something I like to hear!

Blood Pressure Drugs - Avoid Them!

[removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-13-2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:00 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
Quote:
So I'm thinking I'd be better off just doing more aerobics and trimming down and maybe meditating -
So glad you've come to realize that the blood pressure medications should be used only if there's no other way to lower one's blood pressure. It sounds as if you've tried most of the BP drug classes. As you have found out, they all come with side effects. Some can be tolerated by us better than others. There are some people whom the meds don't seem to affect negatively at all. I think they are an exception, rather than a rule.

Since you are an athlete, you get plenty of exercise already and excessive weight is most likely not an issue. I am sure you've been eating healthy foods (with perhaps extra protein & carbs for energy?) There's one diet, called DASH, that''s been proven to lower blood pressure naturally without sacrificing most of the foods you like. You might be familiar with it if you've researched hypertension thoroughly. You also seem to be aware of the fact that stress increases your blood pressure. Finding ways to de-stress (relaxation, deep breathing) and learning ways to handle it effectively on daily basis will affect your blood pressure readings. Stress management workshops always recommend to take the time to do things for yourself that you enjoy. This must be done often.

You can lower your blood pressure without the use of medications and maintain it at an acceptable level through healthy living, with only a few adjustments to your lifestyle.

Wishing you the best of luck
Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-13-2007 at 09:18 AM.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:16 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

joefine HB User

Thank you, FlowerGirl2Day (love the name!). My bp seems to be going up, especially the 2nd number. Perhaps it is a rebound effect from all these horrid bp drugs that I keep starting and stopping right away. I think that my nerves are causing my high bp. I took a tranquilizer (lorazapan .5 mg) last night and again tonight, and once it took effect my numbers went down to a much more reasonable level, like to 134/81 from an unreasonable 158/104.

Would it be practical to just take a tranquilizer instead of one of those horrid bp drugs? I'm afraid to take this lor. tranquilizer drug regularly though (often I go for months without using it) as I'm afraid of it's losing its ability to calm me and let me sleep, and its potential adictiveness.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:35 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Joe,

I'm not sure that two readings is an accurate picture of bp readings on a tranquilizer. It may be that your readings would be like that even if you didn't take the lorazapan....but then again, I haven't done any reading about (or had any personal experience with) tranquilizers and blood pressure.

I've been following your posts as I too, have had horrible experiences on meds (and don't believe in the supplement thing). Have you ruled out sleep apnea? I only mention this because it can elevate pressures in an active, healthy, normal weight person, and treatment can be med free....it might be worth taking the time to rule it out.

Bethsheba

Closed Thread