It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Lutheran122 HB User
The High Blood Pressure Hoax

Dr Sherry Rogers book [removed]. This doctor says that its bad to take statins and blood pressure meds and that they in fact can cause you to have heart attacks. Is she right? I can't believe all the information on the net that go's against the norm that your cardiologist recommends. I am on toprol xl and Zetia and have some some narrowing of the heart arteries. I want to do whats right and beat this but when I read something like this it makes me wonder how can I win if my doctors are all wrong.

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-08-2007 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: The High Blood Pressure Hoax

I haven't heard of Dr Sherry Rogers so I had to "look" for her...I looked only briefly but didn't see her name affiliated with educational or government sites so she's a bit suspicious in my opinion. If she had written a well researched/referenced book, and was well respected in her field, I would think some of the major clinics or universities would be broadcasting her credentials/books...

And personally, I found her purported claims to be "to good to be true".

Bethsheba

PS or maybe I should have said "to bad to be true"!

Last edited by bethsheba; 08-08-2007 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added ps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
bad to take statins and blood pressure meds and that they in fact can cause you to have heart attacks

Lutheran,

Read some of the studies which showed that statins have excellent cardioprotective qualities. There are many!
I was told by my nephrologist that statins also help with kidney issues though I would have to read up on that. That's why he wanted me back on the statins after I had quit taking them. As for the statins combined with the blood pressure drugs - I have not heard of any drug interactions, though they cannot be ruled out.

Nothing is worse than CCBs when it comes to MIs. I hope you are not on those!

Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-07-2007 at 05:26 PM.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Lutheran122 HB User

No I am just on Beta Blockers and Zetia , so far

Old 08-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Good for you!
How are you handling the beta blockers and what's your dosage? Are they for your BP or for cardio issues?

Old 08-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Pravachol, for one, was scientifically shown to reduce the chance of heart attack. I think there may be another statin where this is true too.

Also, niacin has been shown to reduce chances of heart attacks as well.

While I think statins are nasty as all get go, and you wouldn't catch me taking another ever again, I can say this from 6 years experience taking them... 3 different statins... they have proven well for many. What I've researched folks taking statins (lipitor in particular as it appears most take this particular statin) have given it an overall 40% satifaction rating when you consider benefits verses side effects.

From your sonopsis of that author... sounds like quackery with no basis.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Ventrue Man,

Quote:
What I've researched folks taking statins (lipitor in particular as it appears most take this particular statin) have given it an overall 40% satifaction rating when you consider benefits verses side effects.
I did not know there was a satisfaction survey on statins conducted. Seems rather silly of people who take statins to rate them.. .Most take them because they would rather not deal with MIs caused by clogged arteries. Or with the flushing that comes with the use of Niacin for many. We all make our choices. We also know (or should know) there are no perfect drugs that are side-effect free. I've read a study recently on plaque reduction by statins. Cannot remember the particulars.

While they can have serious side effects and cause permanent damage, statins have saved many lives.

Flowergirl

Old 08-08-2007, 06:31 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Lutheran122 HB User

I take the bp meds for fast heart rate and high blood pressure..it was always around 135-150 / 90-100 and now its always 120 or less / anywhere from 90-65. Can Metropolol cause chest pain? Because I have a ton of it and even though I have narrowing of the arteries its only 30 percent or so and not enough to give me all these pains. And this pain is there during total rest so something is up , either its a medication I am taking or its coming from somewhere else other then my heart.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

Quote:
And this pain is there during total rest so something is up , either its a medication
Lutheran, I had some problems recently in that regard. I suspect that another BP medication, an HCTZ, might have caused my chest pain and fast heart rate. It has cleared up for the most part with a dosage adjustment. Make sure to mention this pain to your doctor. With a 30% blockage you likely don't have a history of angina. Do not take any chances. As you know, no chest pain should be ignored. There was a discussion on the heart board about CoQ10. The poster was right on. Make sure to take yours when using a statin. If you can get Q-gels ('they are not sold here), get those. They are much more readily absorbed by the body.

flowergirl

Old 08-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Lutheran122 HB User

I ordered c0q-10 and red rice yeast and Niacin non flush supplements..i am eating almost no fat at all each and every day..a lot of fruit and veggies and chicken breast and oatmeal and eggwhites , salads , turkey , beans etc...I want to beat this disease , I ordered dr cornishes reversing heart disease book too.

Last edited by Lutheran122; 08-08-2007 at 01:45 PM.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lutheran,

You are doing all the right things! I am so glad you take your health seriously. Believe it or not, there are some people out there who do not. Even with illness present, they make no effort to modify their lifestyles.
There are too many books out about heart disease. Instead of buying a whole bunch, buy only several. You will find that most of the advice, though from different doctors, is similar. The books should help you get a better understanding of how your heart works (and what makes it tick! ) and what you, personally, might be dealing with. You will find that every published author has a sure fire way to prevent heart disease. Take it with a grain of salt. Use common sense - I see you are already very good at that! Sometimes it takes a big scare for us to jump into action... Dr. Ornishes diet is very hard to follow. Only the MOST determined people will succeed. It means a lifetime without most of the foods you enjoy. Not many of us can do that. Judge for yourself.

Good luck to you!
Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-08-2007 at 02:08 PM.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Lutheran122 HB User

If I follow it do you think I can reverse this narrowing problem or is that all baloney? I already have dropped all bad foods..what I listed in the earlier post is ALL I EAT and I will only add stuff that I read from dr cornishes book. No more fast food , no more diner food , no more cookies or cake from the store , no more chinese food unless its steamed chicken and broccoli , no more mexican food which I love , no more heaping plates of macaroni with a ton of sauce on it , no more greasy french fries and brown gravy ;p ...i am done with it all..hell I ate all bad crap and a lot of it too mostly because I was bored and used to eat and read the newspaper at the same time. I have frozen yogurt now as a snack or fat free pudding , and just a few spoonfuls..no longer will a fill up a huge bowl and sit there and pig out..i just can't do it anymore. I need to be serious about this..oh and I am also adding fish like salmon into my diet as well , no more shrimp or shellfish. I will read his book from cover to cover and do the best I can but I just know I wont be eating any foods I shouldn't be eating anymore.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am glad to hear that. Just so you know (this will make you feel better!) statins help with this type of a problem and so do the beta blockers. The results of a new study were published just last month. Apparently, the beta blockers reduce and even completely reverse the plaque. More studies need to be done, but things look VERY promising.

P.S. Reduce your alcohol intake and try to drink less pop. Instead, drink more water.

Flowergirl

Old 08-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutheran122 View Post
...i am eating almost no fat at all each and every day..a lot of fruit and veggies and chicken breast and oatmeal and eggwhites , salads , turkey , beans etc...I want to beat this disease , I ordered dr cornishes reversing heart disease book too.
Diet can play a major role in controlling high blood pressure (which actually isn't a disease but a symptom of a disease). It's possible for some people to get off of meds by following the guidelines of the DASH diet. While I understand your desire to eat right, I'm not sure the things you are doing are in the best interest of your health, both short term and long term.

The first thing that comes to mind is your comment "i am eating almost no fat at all each and every day...". Our bodies need fat for lots of reasons...and although many health organizations and health professionals have been touting low fat diets in the past, very reputable large studies now strongly suggest that it isn't the amount of fat in our diets that is the culprit, it's the type of fat in our diets that causes problems! In other words, eating the right kinds of fats can prevent plaque from forming in our artories.

The other concern I have is that in another post, you mention all of things you won't eat anymore. I've found in my vast history of dieting, , that deprivation eating doesn't usually fit into one's lifestyle no matter how badly you want it to...and a deprivation diet doesn't translate into a lifestyle change.

For those reasons alone, if you're really serious about eating right, I would suggest you spend some money (the money you would use to buy those books and supplements you are talking about), and set up an appointment with a dietician. You might talk with your doctor about this as s/he should be able to refer you to someone reputable. Also, you might want to check with your insurance company because these consults/appointments can be covered by insurance.

Good health and good luck!

Bethsheba

Old 08-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Beth gave you a very good advice! Seeing a dietitian would be money well spent. The dietitian will tailor your diet to your needs. She creates special diets for patients with different diseases.

Just a reminder that your local library has dozens of books about cardiology for free.

flowergirl

Closed Thread