It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
The DASH diet...changes can improve it!!

Researchers at a major medical school found that if a traditional DASH diet (which is higher in carbohydrates) is modified so that some of the carbohydrates are replaced by protein and healthy monounsaturated fat

1. bp can be lowered even more

2. triglycerides will drop

3. LDL (the "good" cholesterol) will rise

(There is no change in triglyceride levels or LDL levels with the traditional DASH diet).

Bethsheba

Old 08-09-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User
Re: The DASH diet...changes can improve it!!

I am curious how this diet differs meaningfully from South Beach, or the Mediterranean diet...is it just the amounts of fruits and vegetables in DASH are greater? It strikes me that all these diets are essentially saying the same thing: eat more fruits and vegetables, less red meat and more fish, moderate alcohol etc.

acp

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
I am curious how this diet differs meaningfully from South Beach, or the Mediterranean diet...is it just the amounts of fruits and vegetables in DASH are greater?
It would also be interesting to see just how different this diet is from our recently revised food guide. As you know, the food guide sets out guidelines for healthy eating, types of food and a recommended number of portions a day. It is a well researched government publication which gets updated regularly. There have been no major changes since last revision. The only one I remember is a reduction in the servings of fruit & veggies to a more reasonable 8 a day. I don't have a copy in front of me (ordered it from the goverment months ago, still waiting). So don't quote me on that. I believe if people followed the basic rules, as set out in the food guide, no diets would be necessary and there would be fewer chronic diseases and obesity in children. Too bad I did not adopt a healthier lifestyle a long time ago!

Flowergirl

Old 08-09-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

ACP,

I'll try to write a detailed synopsis of different diets...from what I understand, the DASH diet has a higher percentage of carbohydrates than some other diets have...so the new info suggests decreasing the carbs, and increasing the protein and monounsaturated fats in the traditional DASH diet.

But again, I'll try to briefly describe the differences in another post.

Bethsheba

Old 08-15-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
(female)

Suelai721 HB User

The dash diet book is what I like to call my dietetic cook book. This book has several really good recipes. I have had high blood pressure for many years. I had never heard of the diet or this book. I was in the middle of ordering my resperate(an excellent natural device that lowers your blood pressure), when I stumbled on the Dash diet book. Eventually with the resperate and dash diet recipes I have been able to lower my blood pressure tremendously. However, I am very interested in this philosophy. Any extra info on it is very much appreciated.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sue,

Some nurse friends that I know put me on to the DASH diet (the info SHOULD have come from my physician when I was diagnosed with hypertension).

Your comments about the diet are welcome...and diet alone can reduce systolic bp by 8-14 mHg on the AVERAGE alone...now add a 2-8 mmHG on the average drop with sodium reduction and many people can be med free!!! glad you posted...must do my homework and get back with what I learn about the details.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 08-15-2007 at 10:29 AM.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suelai,

First off, I'd like to thank you for letting us know that the DASH diet was in book form...it's one thing to know the basics and it's another thing to put menus together, grin!

One of the researchers who developed the DASH diet, also fine tuned it. Although there is alot of research info on the fine tuning, I did find a government site that contained info about the changes and everything else that was diet related...

the site is "http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/healthieryou/contents.htm"

Again, thanks for letting me know about the book...although you can ******** it, I"m going to run out and buy me a copy as l like to write notes as I go along.

Bethsheba

Closed Thread