It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
(male)

Titanic Explore HB User
Can blood shot eyes be caused by high blood pressure?

I just discovered my blood pressure is very high- I also noticed in the past year my eyes often become very bloodshot- some days they're fine, but they often turn bloodshot- How does blood pressure affect the eyes? Does it cause blood shot eyes? Im having a problem with dry eyes as well...

Old 08-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User
Re: Can blood shot eyes be caused by high blood pressure?

Doubtful. Your eye doctor can easily and quickly examine the blood vessels in your eyes to see signs of BP damage...usually in the form of little nicks in the vessels (micro versions of the damage high BP is doing to other arteries). This would not, however cause blood shot eyes, I think.

acp

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Dry eyes can cause them to become reddened. Are you taking any medications? Sometimes meds can cause dryness of the eyes.

I don't know if hypertension can cause red eyes or not...

Bethsheba

Old 08-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
(female)

flowersx2 HB User

High blood pressure can cause high eye pressure (not sure if it would make your eyes red or not but mine usually are - I think mostly allergies and contacts). High eye pressure can result in glaucoma. If you have hbp make sure you go to an opthamologist for a thorough eye exam. When I was "trying to be off meds" and my bp was elevated my eye pressure was too. After I gave up and went back on meds my eye pressure did go down, but I'm on "watch" for at risk.

On another note, my son has had VERY red eyes, some days worse than others (kinda looks like pink eye) but it is totally allergies. They have been very bad this year. We did eye drops and allergy meds but the continue to return so he is going to an allergist in a couple of weeks. hth's

Old 08-24-2007, 01:47 AM   #5
(male)

joe86 HB User

In my experience, yes, hbp can cause both eye tenderness and redness. Apparently some people only get the pressure without being bloodshot but I had both together.
In fact, until I got control of my hypertension my eyes were very sensitive and tenderness to the touch became a sure tipoff that my bp was at high levels.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User

All I can tell you is I have had three bloodshot eyes this year, the last one being really bad, it was totally red! I looked like Christopher Lee. I rung the doctor and when I told him it was the third time in six months he wanted to see me straight away. I had never had blood pressure problems in the past, but this time it was way up. above 200. I am now on Ramipril and touch wood... my red eyes won't return. By the way, I have had dry eyes for a few years now, probably due to my having autoimmune problems, I buy 'visco tears' they are fantastic, they are liquid gel drops, and give instant relief.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I totally agree with couldbeworse.
High blood pressure can and does have this effect on the small vessels in the eyes. They simply burst. With the reduction of blood pressure, (= if the cause is treated) they repair themselves. Red eyes can have several causes, high blood pressure is one of them. I have hypertensive retinopathy. I had woken several times over the past few years with bloody eyes. I wish I had seen the doctor then, instead of blaming the redness on spider bites, allergic reactions, having too much to drink, or whatever else I could think of. I urge anyone with red eyes for no apparent reason to see an optometrist or an opthalmologist, or a GP at the very least.

PS. I am sure I messed up the spelling of the opt. doctor.

The Following User Says Thank You to flowergirl2day For This Useful Post:
RokinRobin (03-27-2012)
Closed Thread