It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
(male)

kerry4 HB User
Does this define high blood pressure/hypertension?

I have lost about 40 lbs in the past 2.5 months.

Also back about 2.5 months ago (June 29th), i had an attack of sorts (panic?) that left me with hypertension and a bunch of prescription meds, which i never had in my life prior to my "attack".

Being that it was such an abrupt onset, the docs seem to think it is secondary hypertension and I was put on Diovan. Also, I had tests for tumors, pheo's and things that could be culprit for hypertension not knowing if I just had a panic attack or if there was another condition.

The final testing that I had showed that I had elevated cortisol which my endo mentioned could be a potential cause of the hypertension.

My cortisol result was 115.0 while the normal range is 04.0 to 50.0. The doc wanted to test me again (yesterday) and i need to go in for followup in a week or so for the resuts.

I have been getting slightly better day by day it seems. I am wondering if the cortisol was elevated due to stress.

Anyways, I have thought I would see what happens without my BP med (Diovan).

I stopped taking and I have been testing. After I have been up and running around I will abruptly sit and test my bp. I get anywhere between 130-145/70-80 depending on what I was doing. However, I can take a few deep breaths and test again and I have been able to hit the range of 113-120/68-76.

So, my question is what defines hypertension? Is it a sustained bloodpressure at of above 140/90 regardless of sitting, standing, working, etc?

I know it is normal for blood pressure to be dynamic and go up and down with what you are doing throughout the day, but what is considered a normail scope?

If I can sit and take a few breaths and hit at or below 120/80 (off meds) do I need to worry about BP meds when I am running around, exercising, etc? If my relaxation BP can get this low, do I need BP meds?

Is it possible for a severe panic attack to temporarily raise blood pressure over a span of months and then can eventually return to normal?

Thank you in advance for your input.

James

Last edited by Administrator; 07-17-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Does this define high blood pressure/hypertension?

Yes, it's AMAZING what can be learned when one if off medication---symptoms attributed to other things disappear overnight or over the course of the next few weeks, blood pressures drop, energy levels increase, cholesterol levels drop....for some of us. But for some of us it is dangerous to do, especially if we have stage 1 or stage 2 hypertension.

I would strongly suggest reviewing the definitions in the US government's Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High BLood Pressure (JNC7) which is information compiled by the country's leading experts. I've included the link in my thread "Lifestyle Modifications can Lower Systolic BP by...".
The numbers that are important are the numbers you take 30 minutes AFTER physical activity...that is why you should sit quietly for 15 minutes before taking your pressures (you do this at the doctor's office in the waiting/exam room) under normal circumstances or after 30 minutes of exercise....
Yes, it is. You might want to check out my recent post to Teacup.

Hope you're feeling better, Bigjim.

Bethsheba

Last edited by Administrator; 07-17-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: typos

Old 09-08-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

The answer is... you do not need meds if you have a resting BP of 120/80 or lower.

I use to "just sit down" and take my blood pressure right away. Did this for years. My BP readings were always higher than my Doctor's and his Nurse's.

I recently told my Doctor's Nurse this and she said I was doing it wrong. I'm suppose to sit down for 5 minutes and relax... and then take my blood pressure. It's suppose to be a relaxing blood pressure. The goal is to gett the pressure readings when htere is no other due influence on your arteries, such as movement or exercise, etc.

You don't have to take meds... even if your Doctor prescribes them. I tell my Doctor "No" to certain meds all the time. I've had enough bad side effects from some that I'm really careful now before agreeing to any new meds.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-17-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi James,

I tend to agree with previous posts.
What you need to do is be consistent in taking your blood pressure. This means taking it at the same time each day.
It is recommended that the readings be taken in the mornings and at night. This is because the measurements taken before the medication will more accurately reflect your true blood pressure. As we all know, it is very variable due to activity and many other factors throughout the day.

The actual threshold for hypertension is considered flexible, based on the total cardiovascular profile. This means that a blood pressure value may be considered high and in need of treatment in a high risk person, but can be acceptable in a low risk individual.

Home readings should be averaged over a period of a few days. If you take medication, take your blood pressure before taking your pills.

I think your blood pressure is good. Check with your doctors - you don't want to be on medication unnecessarily at your age! Also, check out Cushing's syndrome regarding your cortisone levels.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 09-08-2007 at 03:39 PM. Reason: deletion

Old 09-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Yes, to everything you said, Venture Man.

Bethsheba

Old 09-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
...BP threshold for definition of hypertension:

Office/clinic 140/90
24hr amb 125-130/80
Day 130-135/85
Night 120/70
Home avg 130-135/85
FG, these are not the figures recommended by the US government if I recall correctly. I would be willing to say most physicians in this country don't go by these numbers as they are higher than our country's experts recommend. Are these the guidelines in Canada?

Just thought the readers may want to know.

Bethsheba

Old 09-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Beth,

thanks for pointing it out. These are for home readings. They are not guidelines per se, just something for people to go by when doing home readings. I remember someone mentioning a five point deduction to allow for errors. That seems to be the case here. The guidelines for classification of hypertension are universal. At least from what I remember. I'd have to doublecheck.

I am not sure what yours are, I guess I'd better look into that and not post any numbers next time. I will also edit the post & take them out so as not to confuse anyone.

FG

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 09-08-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
(male)

kerry4 HB User
Re: What exactly constitutes as high blood pressure?

Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate your input so much.

Basically, I havent taken my Diovan since Thursday evening. Apparently Diovan takes some time to build in the system. I believe 2 weeks for effectiveness then 4 weeks for full effectiveness.

Another question is... Do blood pressure meds take as long to get metabolized by the body as it does to build up?? I wouldn't think so.

I have been testing throughout the day. My most recent readings from this evening are:

132/70 - just walked in the door and tested immediately after getting home from family function.
127/71 - a couple minutes and a couple deep breaths later
123/65 - a couple minutes later
119/64 - a couple minutes more later and a little more breathing.

Does this look positive?

Again, I really appreciate all of your help. I am sure that i will be posting more numbers for evaluation.

I am so excited about going on without meds. Well, just the fact that i dont need them. but i want to be honest with myself, so if i need them, i need them and thats all there is to it.

As far as Cushing's Syndrome, my endo didn't want to classify me with this since my cortisol levels werent at least 3 times the normal (150). The test I had yesterday was another 24hr urinalysis and blood free cortisol and ACTH just to confirm my previous cortisol reading. The endo said that stress could cause a substancial elevation in cortisol also.

Other than the higher blood pressure and anxiety, I haven't really had any of the other symptoms of Cushing's.

At times, I just wish I had something so that I could get it treated. But in light of the BP and not needing meds, my attitude and overall self happiness has been elevated as I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

THANKS again EVERYONE!

Last edited by kerry4; 09-08-2007 at 07:41 PM.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

[QUOTE=bigjimcfh;3199103]Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate your input so much.

I have been testing throughout the day. My most recent readings from this evening are:

132/70 - just walked in the door and tested immediately after getting home from family function.
127/71 - a couple minutes and a couple deep breaths later
123/65 - a couple minutes later
119/64 - a couple minutes more later and a little more breathing.

Does this look positive?

Yes! This looks incredibly positive...those are numbers anyone would envy. I would love to have numbers like that consistently (although I am unmedicated).

Feel very, very happy about this...it is an inspiration to many others. See how things continue, and please keep folks posted on your progress.

acp

Old 09-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Congratulations, Big Jim!

Your numbers are great! Acp is right on all counts, most of us would love to see those numbers!

FG

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 09-08-2007 at 09:18 PM.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:57 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Hi Beth,

thanks for pointing it out. These are for home readings. They are not guidelines per se, just something for people to go by when doing home readings.....
Flowergirl,

Based on what I've read, the numbers you cite are based on ambulatory readings (which is what you said). They are different from the clinical readings (guidelines)....personally, the differences never occurred to me. For the sake of other readers I will include the clinical guidelines for patients in the US below:

Normal <120 and <80
Prehypertension <120-139 or <80-89
Hypertension, Stage 1 <140-159 or <90-99
Hypertension, Stage 2 >160 or >100

(all of these should "read less than or equal to" or "greater than or equal to" but I couldn't figure out how to type it that way with symbols)

Quote:
The guidelines for classification of hypertension are universal.
I just pulled up the hypertension guidelines for the United Kingdom for 2007. They vary to those for the US. Based on this difference alone, I think it is safe to say that the guidelines are not universal. However, I did not check the guidelines used by the World Health Organization. May do that later.

FYI, I did find the United Kingdom's info very interesting...

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 09-09-2007 at 06:07 AM.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:02 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jim,

Although the numbers look great, the medication is still in your body and is still working...it may be 4-6 weeks or longer after discontinuing a drug before you really know what your numbers are off medication. Do chart your numbers daily as you may see a gradual or a rapid increase in pressures...but I could be wrong as everyone is different.

Are you going off Diovan with your doctor's and/or your pharmacist's supervision? It is very dangerous to stop taking some drugs cold turkey...best check with the pros to avoid complications down the road.

Sounds like you're feeling better. Hope so!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 09-09-2007 at 06:08 AM.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

I just want to say that my OB said it was actually NOT good to have elevated pressure when up and about. My nurse agreed (they are separate from each other), and said that your BP should regulate itself and level itself off without rest alone. So, I am curious as to why it is so important to take your pressure after resting? My BP was 150/86 when I first went into my OB's office (for postpartum visit) and then after 5 minutes of rest it was 130/80. They refused to let me stop my Labetelol due to this. So, why would that be? Was it just too high as my up and about level? I am 27, so does that make a difference? These are just things I am curious about. Thanks!

Old 09-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #14
(male)

kerry4 HB User

Alright folks,
Thanks again... I really do appreciate all of your help and very informative information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
Jim,

Although the numbers look great, the medication is still in your body and is still working...it may be 4-6 weeks or longer after discontinuing a drug before you really know what your numbers are off medication. Do chart your numbers daily as you may see a gradual or a rapid increase in pressures...but I could be wrong as everyone is different.

Are you going off Diovan with your doctor's and/or your pharmacist's supervision? It is very dangerous to stop taking some drugs cold turkey...best check with the pros to avoid complications down the road.

Sounds like you're feeling better. Hope so!

Bethsheba
I have stopped the meds on my own. I have been checking my BP religiously and recording them.

I did learn some info after reading through the 'The Seventh Report
of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and
Treatment of High Blood Pressure
' and I did learn the definition of ambulatory blood pressure. Until now, this is something that had been trivial to me as i didn't know the formal name. I read that it is somewhat controversial.
I would agree as the it would really depend on what activity you are performing throughout your day. Regardless, this was very informative to me and I recommend this as good reading for anyone with questions about BP.

Despite the new-found information, I had some more numbers and I am seeking an opinion on if they would be okay.
I took these this evening (9/10/07) immediately after mowing the yard and performing other various tasks outdoors..
Please let me know if this would constitute the need for meds.

7:42pm - 141/78 - HR78 - Immediately after coming in from doing yardwork, I sat down and tested .
7:44pm - 130/72 - HR76 - A couple of deep breaths later
7:45pm - 120/74 - hr77 - More deep breaths later
7:47pm - 117/69 - hr 76 - Final test after a little relaxed

To me, this looks okay, however i am not sure about the 141/78 test. I was just doing yardwork, so, i would expect this. Is this okay?

Thanks everyone.
James

Last edited by kerry4; 09-10-2007 at 07:51 PM.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bigjim,

Yard work is going to elevate numbers...again, the only numbers that "count" are the number you take 30 minutes AFTER exercise...if you weren't exerting yourself physically, numbers taken after being seated 15 minutes should be adequate. Some people's numbers go back to "normal" after only 5 or so minutes but the guidelines allow 15 minutes...

The numbers look great...but again, they could change so do continue to monitor. I would recommend that you keep a written record also. When I went off meds, I was so excited about my low numbers I was taking my bp ALL the time and unfortunately, my monitors memory only remembered a brief history....I wish I had daily figures to refer back to because I THINK my lowest numbers were taken about 3 weeks after being off meds and then they went up a little again.

If you should go back on meds again, before doing so find out what the possible side effects may be, and find out how to stop taking the med should you decide to discontinue it. Again, stopping some meds can be life threatening (angina, stroke, heart attacks, elevated bps) for some people...I suggest finding out beforehand because sometimes the side effects are so sudden, so severe, so mind altering that one cannot wait to get info before stopping the medication.

Bethsheba

PS Breathe normally when you take your bp. Breathing can lower the numbers temporarily and you want to get a true reading. Now for those of you doing breathing EXERCISES to lower your breathing, keep on exercising as it will bring about long term bp reduction. Breathing exercises are not what I'm talking about here....

Closed Thread