It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 12:36 AM   #1
(male)

Nexis HB User
Is this abnormally low blood pressure in the morning?

I would like to know if this is the reason why I am so tired in the morning....

My blood pressure while I am still in bed when I awake in the morning seems very low; after an hour and a half it does go quite up, if I drink two cups of strong percolated coffee. If not I end up having to go back to bed because I am so dizzy and tired...

In bed in the morning: 85/47 BPM:72

After an hour and a half: 106/61 BPM:93
(After caffeine consumption)

Also throughout the day, my blood pressure can go down suddenly to 87/49; is this normal?

Can someone advise me what I should do when I still feel very tired and dizzy in the morning?

Should I take a blood pressure raiser to get me started if the coffee doesn't help?

Should I see a cardiologist, since I don't know anyone who has blood pressure this low in the morning...

I feel this problem is interfering with my daily life because I cannot get going in the morning and very irritable because of the tiredness and dizziness...

Thank you!

Last edited by Nexis; 09-09-2007 at 02:03 AM.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Is this abnormally low blood pressure in the morning?

Nexis,

I am not aware of any guideline that says such and such number is too low...but if you are not feeling well, as you say, than a doctor should be consulted. There are some things that you can do to temporarily elevate your pressures until you can get in to see a doctor...but even if those things help/work, I would still see a doctor to make sure everything is ok.

There are others out there with more expertise in elevating bps and I'm sure they'll give you some tips....but do set up an appt with your family doctor.

Bethsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi Nexis,

90/50 is the cut off between hypo & hypertension so you fall slight below which can be normal for some people. Since you have symptoms, you should see a regular Dr. to start off.

But I personally would try a week of increased fluids scattered throughout the day. The standard is 8 (8oz) of any kind of fluid as in juice, milk, water, but not alcohol as it would increase your symptoms. So before you get up have a glass of water (put it on your nightstand). Then have your coffee & breakfast. It would be good to take a walk before before or after bkf.

Note: 16oz of fluid drunk in 15 min will keep your b/p up for two hrs.

Measure out 2 tsp salt & put it in a salt shaker & use it throughout the day. Caution, if you have kidney problems & your Dr. has told you not to take in much salt, then don't do this.

Although I have severe HBP, there have been times I have had to do this because my meds have interacted with other meds.

I would give it two wks & then see the Dr. as there as other possible reasons for your symptoms. Fam

Last edited by famnd; 09-09-2007 at 01:20 PM.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
Hi Nexis,

90/50 is the cut off between hypo & hypertension so you fall slight below which can be normal for some people. Since you have symptoms, you should see a regular Dr. to start off.... Fam
Thanks Fam,

I didn't know this.

Bethsheba

Old 09-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
(male)

Nexis HB User

Quote:

Note: 16oz of fluid drunk in 15 min will keep your b/p up for two hrs.

Measure out 2 tsp salt & put it in a salt shaker & use it throughout the day. Caution, if you have kidney problems & your Dr. has told you not to take in much salt, then don't do this.
Famnd,

Thank you for your advice; actually I excessively drink alot of water to the point I am bloated all day; I never knew that it was raising my BP... I drink very cold water since another doctor said that helps to constrict the blood vessels and raise the BP...

I use to take alot of salt yet it ended up giving me extreme chapped lips, so I cut back, yet I eat very salty dried plums to keep me going if I feel very weak which helps...

I was seeing a neurologist because I thought I had POTS, a neurological disease that causes Low BP, yet it wasn't the case and the doctor did prescribe me meds to raise my BP, yet he did NOT try to find out WHY it was low, so I stopped yet, I think I should have a few pills in handy when I have a Low BP attack...

I will talk to this about to my primary care physician and see what he thinks...

Thank you!

Last edited by Nexis; 09-09-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

You need to see a DR. & get evaluated again. Write down the amount of water/fluid you are drinking-there is such a thing as drinking too much which could lead to brain seizures. Did you get blood tests the last time you were at the Dr's? (blood sugar, thyroid tests, iron level etc.?) You need to be eating a balanced diet & get some exercise (walking is fine.)

Drinking fluid can raise or low your b/p depending on how fast you drink. Don't drink more than 16oz in a 15 min. If you had HBP then you would spread that out to 1 hr so your b/p wouldn't be raised so much. In this case the fluid would be used to flush out extra sodium in the body.

Fam

Old 09-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #7
(male)

Nexis HB User
Unhappy Re: Is this abnormally low blood pressure in the morning?

Quote:
You need to see a DR. & get evaluated again. Write down the amount of water/fluid you are drinking-there is such a thing as drinking too much which could lead to brain seizures. Did you get blood tests the last time you were at the Dr's? (blood sugar, thyroid tests, iron level etc.?) You need to be eating a balanced diet & get some exercise (walking is fine.)

Drinking fluid can raise or low your b/p depending on how fast you drink. Don't drink more than 16oz in a 15 min. If you had HBP then you would spread that out to 1 hr so your b/p wouldn't be raised so much. In this case the fluid would be used to flush out extra sodium in the body.

Fam
Thank you again for your advice; you are very informative regarding BP, more than my former neurologist who told me he was sure I had some psychiatric issue that was causing me to drink water excessively! What a quack! He tried to refer me to a psych ward! The nerve..

Yes I had everything tested including for Antibody and nothing came up except that the protein level /kidney is very low which the doctor said is not a problem.. I wonder if this is from drinking too much water... It was my BUN test that was low...

Anyhow, I am extremely fit ( people tell I shouldn't complain about my low blood pressure because I look healthy ) , my BMI is at 20.2...

I am very careful with sugar intake since I am prediabetic which I always believed was causing my excessive thirst...

I was unaware that drinking too much water would excrete the sodium out of my body; that is a very interesting fact I must remember because alot of doctors do not take Low BP as a problem...

This is why I was compelled to make this post, though I feel sheepish since those who have High Blood Pressure struggle with so many complications, yet I do have very bad days that I need to drink about 5-10 cups of coffee so I can stand up, and need to lay down because of the dizziness...

Do you have any idea what causes low blood pressure?

Is is some sort of heart condition? Or neurological? I haven't talked to my new GP/ Primary care Physician, yet few other doctors don't see it as a problem, so I need to see have some idea what it may be....

Thank you very much for replying to my message; I feel much better...

Last edited by Nexis; 09-09-2007 at 09:56 PM.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I would go easy on the caffeine. I think Dr. Dean said 4-5 cups a day is alright for most people without other health problems. Over that could cause problems.

The Merck Manual (check the library etc.) will give you the possibilities for causes of low b/p. Very low b/p is just as bad as having high b/p. In fact I feel great when my b/p is over 200 but I am a basket case when my b/p is 110.

Maybe seeing a GP is the answer as he or she could look at the whole situation instead of zeroing in one aspect.

If you have had the routine lab tests, then it is probably time to rule out other causes.

Meanwhile keep eating a healthy diet & taking care of yourself.

Tell us a little about your lifestyle including what you eat on the average. Maybe you could teach us hypertensives something about how to lower our b/p's.

Fam

Old 09-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
You need to see a DR. & get evaluated again. Write down the amount of water/fluid you are drinking...
Yes, be as descriptive as possible...how much water, at what times, etc.
Quote:
...there is such a thing as drinking too much which could lead to brain seizures
and possibly death.

Quote:
Did you get blood tests the last time you were at the Dr's? (blood sugar, thyroid tests, iron level etc.?) You need to be eating a balanced diet & get some exercise (walking is fine.)....
Yes, I very much agree with Famnd as to the blood tests...given the amount of water you are drinking, I would suspect you are flushing other important salts/nutrients out of your system in addition to the sodium. Coffee is a natural diuretic...and may be contributing to the problem. Also, it can cause anxiety attacks in some people (me when I exceeded 8-10 cups/day).

In addition to Famnd's other comments, I would also like to agree that having low blood pressure is can be serious and shouldn't be taken lightly...there is no need to feel sheepish or embarassed. It's your health, your body, and your symptoms are impacting your quality of life...do let us know how you fare.

Take care.

Bethsheba

I'm glad you said "former" neurologist. That doctor should be reported to the governing board of his peers for that kind of advice.

Last edited by bethsheba; 09-10-2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typist needed

Old 09-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #10
(male)

Nexis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
Yes, be as descriptive as possible...how much water, at what times, etc.
and possibly death.

Yes, I very much agree with Famnd as to the blood tests...given the amount of water you are drinking, I would suspect you are flushing other important salts/nutrients out of your system in addition to the sodium. Coffee is a natural diuretic...and may be contributing to the problem. Also, it can cause anxiety attacks in some people (me when I exceeded 8-10 cups/day).

In addition to Famnd's other comments, I would also like to agree that having low blood pressure is can be serious and shouldn't be taken lightly...there is no need to feel sheepish or embarassed. It's your health, your body, and your symptoms are impacting your quality of life...do let us know how you fare.

Take care.

Bethsheba

I'm glad you said "former" neurologist. That doctor should be reported to the governing board of his peers for that kind of advice.

Bethsheba,

Thank you very much as well for your previous posts; its difficult to receive advice regarding my Low BP, and I will take proper action with my new doctor.... He referred me to a new neurologist ( I will see tomorrow) and I will bring up my concerns...

Yes you are very correct because I need to intake so much caffeine just to gt by without all the fatigue and passing out feeling, I do have heart palpitations ...

What do you think I could be flushing out that is important due to my extreme thirst? This is a very interesting topic as well since its said that people do not drink enough water, yet excessive thirst is not considered a medical concern, and appreciate your input...

Yes that doctor should be reported, yet in the country I am in ( its highly industialized yet backwards in many ways) you cannot report and doctor and have actions taken since its a tort-daverse country and many as 6,000 people die ( just in surgery) due to malpractice and nothing can be done ( unless its a high profile case) ...

This is due to the low number of attorney's and most doctors do not carry malpractice insurance, so there's no money in it for the attorneys to litigate....

Thank god for this board and people alike yourself helping people better their health and conditions...

Old 09-11-2007, 02:09 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I didn't realize that you have excessive thirst as I thought you were just drinking to keep your b/p up. Excessive thirst is a whole other ballgame. Diabetes & hormone problems are possibilities. Tell your new Dr. that you have "excessive thirst" not that you just drink a lot. He will know what to test for.

BTW it is not that easy to report a Dr. here in the US for malpractice either especially when a patient is already sick & can't go through the loopholes to do it. There have been a few times I would have done it otherwise. I settled by writing a registered letter. Fam

Old 09-11-2007, 03:33 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
...BTW it is not that easy to report a Dr. here in the US for malpractice either especially when a patient is already sick & can't go through the loopholes to do it. There have been a few times I would have done it otherwise. I settled by writing a registered letter. Fam
Famnd, this is a good point...I myself have sent a registered letter (to a dentist who blotched the job) only to be ignored. I wonder if contacting the press would be more cost efficient and effective...those doctors have good malpractice insurance, good lawyers, and they protect their own. Somethings gotta change! I did come across a "clearinghouse" where one could write a review of one's doctor. I was surprised to read of physicians in my area that were "reported".

Bethsheba

Old 09-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I contacted the TV station that had a (consumer fight back) & they wouldn't touch it. I did call the Physician Board (state) & told them the situation but it would have meant that I had to come back & tesify which I couldn't do at the time. I would have had no qualms about testifing. Getting a letter does more than you think even though you don't get feedback. It's like raising a teenager when you think everything you say go in one ear & out the other. Later you hear them parroting back your words to someone else. So your message did get through. Wish I had realized that when I was raising my teens. Fam

Old 09-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #14
(male)

Nexis HB User

I wish to post an update; I had a tilt-table like study done yesterday, and my blood pressure did not change..

My blood pressure stayed at under 100/ 70, and said this is normal...

They think that my dizziness and extreme fatigue may an inner ear disorder or something else... May be Lyme disease...

I know its not sleep apnea since I had two sleep studies done...

Thank you again!

Old 09-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nexis,

Thanks so much for the update! I do hope you get to the root of the problem....dizziness and fatigue can interfer with one's life immensely.

Take care!

Bethsheba

Closed Thread