It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 05:01 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User
BP summary of past 6 months

So, a retrospective on taking my BP for 1/2 year:

Home readings: Systolic Diastolic
Hypertensive 156-160 1 90-95 4
150-155 2
146-149 5
140-145 6

Prehypertensive 136-139 10 86-89 1
130-135 17 80-85 14
126-129 19
120-125 25

Normal 116-119 17 76-79 22
110-115 7 70-75 56
100-109 2 66-69 10
60-45 8

Then the worse news: clinic testing in chronological order since I started:
Nurse Doctor (always taken 5-10 min. later)
130/89 139/89
146/89 130/80
143/78 130/74
145/85 128/80
138/78 132/82
144/82 130/80

There is no long term pattern here, except re home readings, most of the higher ones are clustered toward the early period when I first started.

What I've done: 1. lost 22 lbs since March; 2. cut out salt; 3. cut back on
booze.

What I've failed to do: manage stress and anxiety effectively...xanax, supplements, breathing, and therapy have not worked.

So what to make of all these numbers? Time to talk meds, or keep on trying and "keep hope alive?"

acp

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User
Re: BP summary of past 6 months

Are you exercising as well as losing weight...? Can you lose more weight...?

Getting into the normal BMI range and exercising is the best treatment for high BP. By achieving both, I was able to go completely off my BP meds. However, I have reverted back to my old ways and I'm now about 10% overweight and back on BP meds.

I can't speak to the anxiety thing.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureMan View Post
Are you exercising as well as losing weight...? Can you lose more weight...?

Getting into the normal BMI range and exercising is the best treatment for high BP. By achieving both, I was able to go completely off my BP meds. However, I have reverted back to my old ways and I'm now about 10% overweight and back on BP meds.

I can't speak to the anxiety thing.
I do 30-60 minutes of very intense cardio (HR up to 165) a day + about an hour of weightlifting as well.

My plan is to lose about 10 more lbs, but I'm down in the normal BMI range, size 32 waist...and I'm not a small guy. So there will be diminishing returns re that route.

My diet is so healthy now it makes me sick, no pun intended.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Keep it up.

I cycle through my health lifestyle... doing everything correctly and then taking a break... and eventually eating and ecercising properly again. That is why I've resigned to BP meds... I can't live a totally healthly lifestyle forever... I'm only human...

I've tried a few different BP meds. The one I like best is fosinopril (Monopril). It's ans ACE inhibitor... but no side effects that I have noticed. I've been taking it for 16 years. Some folks say it make them cough. Anyway, I like how it helps without all the adverse effects of beta-blockers and calcium channel blockers.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

acp,

Quote:
My diet is so healthy now it makes me sick, no pun intended
I can certainly relate to that! Thanks for making me laugh.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

What I am failing at is getting my systolic down, and I am having trouble coping right. Last few readings have been 140s and 130s. No matter what I try, I cant get that damn number to go down and stay down. Now of course all sorts of possibilities are racing through my head like some kind of arterial problem.

I swear it is so frustrating having gone through every lifestyle change it is possible to make, and still getting numbers like this. It is setting of cycle after cycle of depression and I don't know what to do, except try meds.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Been there, done that... with lifestyle changes. Pretty hard to keep at this for the next 50 years.

Try meds and then you can relax. Medications aren't bad, you know. They don't make you a failure. I was 32 when my BP was 160/110. BP meds helped get that under control. Keep up your exercise and tell your Doc you want to try a low dose of fosinopril (Monopril).

You can't get a hit if you don't swing the bat...

Here's hoping for a home run...

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 09-10-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

In an effort to find any pattern, I have also broken my readings down as such, in chronological order: H=hypertensive (140+), P=prehypertensive (120-139) and
N=normal (<120). I am using the systolic, since that is the only one that really moves (95% diastolics 60-80)

3/27-5/1 H 3, P 13, N 0
5/2-5/28 H 0, P 8, N 15
5/30-6/29 H 2, P 10, N 4
6/30-8/13 H 0, P 13, N 7
8/14-9/9 H 1, P 11, N 5
9/10- H 2, P 1, N 1

Sure miss that month of May!!!

acp

Old 09-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

ACP,

Lucky you. Your B/P no's show that you are not having major adrenalin surges or else your diastolic would be going up. At least that has been my experience. Fam

Old 09-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
ACP,

Lucky you. Your B/P no's show that you are not having major adrenalin surges or else your diastolic would be going up. At least that has been my experience. Fam
But what would explain the systolic going up? This is what I don't understand; I thought stress/anxiety caused adrenalin surges which affect the diastolic, BUT I read stress and anxiety affect the systolic mostly. Can you have stress and anxiety without and adrenalin surge?

acp

Old 09-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

ACP,

My experience is that a short term stress situation will increase my systolic but not my diastolic. For example, when I went to my Gyn for a pap a few wks ago, I was not stressed because she doesn't get stressed if my systolic is up & this was just a routine visit with no problems anticipated. Besides that she is a very warm patient- friendly Dr. I took 300 extra lebatalol just in case.

Well, her nurse isn't as patient friendly-rather cold distant probably because she is new & learning the ropes. She really messed up on my pap a few months ago by putting the specimen in the wrong bottle which made me have to come in & get the pap again in the same week. I told her it was just a mistake & that I was glad someone caught the error in time.

Anyhow,I am over medicated & my b/p is 199/50. When my diastolic is that low then I know that this is a temporary situation with just a little adrenalin. I know my b/p will go down immediately once I get out of there or at least out of the chair & seeing the DR.

In constrast, if both my systolic & diastolic go up usually when seeing a DR. then I know I have a full adrenalin surge going on which I have to take care of with meds and or exercise (mild), writing in my journal, then resting & relaxation.

Some of us are hyperresponders & some of us aren't. I am definately a hyper.

There is more concern if the b/p is always up then if it goes up & down.

My twin sister died from a brain aneurism so I know your worry. The way I look at it is that it is a fast way to go & beats having terminal cancer any day of the week. People have recovered from them. I worry more about having a stroke & not being able to function.

Perhaps having tests done to see if you have one would put your mind at ease. Fam

Old 09-17-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Quote:
ACP,

My experience is that a short term stress situation will increase my systolic but not my diastolic. For example, when I went to my Gyn for a pap a few wks ago, I was not stressed because she doesn't get stressed if my systolic is up & this was just a routine visit with no problems anticipated. Besides that she is a very warm patient- friendly Dr. I took 300 extra lebatalol just in case.

Well, her nurse isn't as patient friendly-rather cold distant probably because she is new & learning the ropes. She really messed up on my pap a few months ago by putting the specimen in the wrong bottle which made me have to come in & get the pap again in the same week. I told her it was just a mistake & that I was glad someone caught the error in time.

Anyhow,I am over medicated & my b/p is 199/50. When my diastolic is that low then I know that this is a temporary situation with just a little adrenalin. I know my b/p will go down immediately once I get out of there or at least out of the chair & seeing the DR.

In constrast, if both my systolic & diastolic go up usually when seeing a DR. then I know I have a full adrenalin surge going on which I have to take care of with meds and or exercise (mild), writing in my journal, then resting & relaxation.

Some of us are hyperresponders & some of us aren't. I am definately a hyper.

There is more concern if the b/p is always up then if it goes up & down.

My twin sister died from a brain aneurism so I know your worry. The way I look at it is that it is a fast way to go & beats having terminal cancer any day of the week. People have recovered from them. I worry more about having a stroke & not being able to function.

Perhaps having tests done to see if you have one would put your mind at ease. Fam
Thanks for the very informative reply. I have been trying to secure tests for aneurisms given that my mother, her mother, and two familial cousins of mine died from them, all prematurely. I do realize there are far worse ways to go, but at 45 I'd like to stick around a few more years!

I did not realize that stress can affect BP differently. I know when I received my first big BP panic news, my diastolic was always over 80 and often over 90. I guess that was the first big adrenalin wave.

When I got used to testing, the diastolic went down and stayed down, but the systolic yo-yo'd...I guess in response to a different type of stress?

Of course when I go the doctor, the diastolic ALWAYS goes up, which could be adrenalin again. Its just damn confusing.

acp

Old 09-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Okay, I can see why you have more concern than me. I'm in my 60's so I'm seeing things from a different perspective. Having 4 relatives up's the concern. Have you asked your Dr. for the tests?

Also, you probably realize the concern about weight lifting
& increasing pressure in the brain. You should ask your Dr. about that.

Did any of these relatives have HBP & other risk factors. My sister smoked constantly & drank gallons of strong coffee all day. She ate healthy though.

You should ask your Dr. about any warning symptoms to look for. I know one is a sudden very painful headache (remember this can be from other causes too). My son got one & the first thing I thought of was an aneurysm but it was from food poisoning from eating out (not my cooking, thank goodness . Fam

Old 09-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Quote:
Okay, I can see why you have more concern than me. I'm in my 60's so I'm seeing things from a different perspective. Having 4 relatives up's the concern. Have you asked your Dr. for the tests?

Also, you probably realize the concern about weight lifting
& increasing pressure in the brain. You should ask your Dr. about that.

Did any of these relatives have HBP & other risk factors. My sister smoked constantly & drank gallons of strong coffee all day. She ate healthy though.

You should ask your Dr. about any warning symptoms to look for. I know one is a sudden very painful headache (remember this can be from other causes too). My son got one & the first thing I thought of was an aneurysm but it was from food poisoning from eating out (not my cooking, thank goodness . Fam
Let's see, mother was 68, a smoker, high cholesterol and untreated HBP. Grandmother was 70 and same. Cousin was 47, a very heavy smoker, a VERY heavy scotch drinker, and a stressful person. There were 3, not 4 actually.

I have never had any symptoms like severe headaches...I have a semi-permanent one behind my left eye that I'm sure is due to the blocked sinus problem there (another story).

I asked my last doctor who was very candid about all this and he said to stop worrying unless I had an immediate family member that had a stroke or heart attack before 60.

Yes I know about the weight lifting, which is why I do toning and no heavy lifting.

I think the way my HMO works, I'd have to have better reasons then these for my doctor to sigh, shake his head, and sign his approval for an MRI.

acp

Old 09-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Decided to go cold turkey on ALL supplements last two days. Today's BP was 126/67...last few were in the 130s and 140s systolic. Curious. Still had cuff anxiety since the pulse registered 101.

Now have to sift through which of the supplements I take may or may not be useful. Micromaneging BP is not fun.

acp

Closed Thread