It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User
Best drugs for BP spikes?

Could someone please tell me the best drug to talk to my doctor about re stopping massive BP spikes due to stress? I just took my BP and it went from 138/73 to 160/69 in 10 minutes! I am so freaked out right now I don't know what to do.

acp

Old 09-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Best drugs for BP spikes?

I don't blame you for being upset.
Calm down.

By the time you read this, your blood pressure spike will likely be history. Do not try to take your blood pressure again, no matter what, for at least ten minutes. Otherwise, your anxiety is going to drive it right back up again.
Depending on the result of your next reading, make yourself an appointment with your doctor. The sooner you'll see him, the better. He will advise you as to what you should do. He and you will both ultimately decide whether you need to go on medication now, or wait a little bit longer before taking this step. I think the standard is allowing six months for the lifestyle changes, but am not sure whether the same rules apply where you live. You need not worry about that, though. Try to be calm and your blood pressure will drop. Maybe you should inquire about anxiety meds? They are never an ideal solution, but should be considered in certain circumstances.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Did as you suggested...134/79, so you were right.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi ACP,

I don't think any med is going to do the job until you find some way of handling your "cuff anxiety." You will still get adrenalin surges for whatever reason which will cause b/p surges.

Medication given at the time will decrease your b/p but regular medication will probably not prevent the surges.
A beta blocker would be the med of choice. You have to be careful taking these drugs because you can get withdrawal which can be quite serious.

I'm battling a similar situation as you so I understand. It is so aggravating!!! But that's life & you have to find some way of dealing with it.

My b/p's were much higher than yours when I reached the end of my rope with the whole mess. (200-230/100-120)
Don't let yourself get to that point!!! Your b/p will go higher & higher just with your cuff anxiety.

I would find a biofeedback therapist who will teach you how to manage cuff anxiety. That's what I did. It was worth every penny ($85 a pop). Insurance will pay sometimes. Make sure he or she is certified.

If you go on meds, you won't be able to get your money's worth out of the sessions. That's what happened to me because Lebetalol prevented the monitoring that needed to be done. Still it was worth it.

In most cases, I don't think you will be able to rid yourself of the problem but you will be able to formula a workable plan to cope. It is essential for you to do so.

You might want to take a vacation from taking your b/p for a month-that helped me. I actually got out of town to go sell a property in another state. Kept my mind so busy.
I don't even think I took my cuff. Then when I came back I saw the therapist with a fresh look at the whole situation.

I know you don't believe this but sustained b/p is the problem not isolated b/p surges unless you have certain conditions like bulges in the Aorta etc which your Dr. would have probably picked up. Your b/p figures are not a critical problem at the moment unless you have symptoms of a stoke or MI.

You must have faith that you can deal with this problem-just say it over & over to yourself. Write it 100 times like you used to do for grade school.
This has helped me. You must accept that the fact that you have a problem & its alright-you have plenty of company believe me.

Make a list of activities that will lower your b/p on a short term basis. For example, take a hot bath which will decrease your b/p by about 20 points systolic. Just sitting for 15 min we know decreases the b/p about 20 points

Last edited by famnd; 09-10-2007 at 06:37 PM.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Thanks so much for the reply...it helps to put things in perspective. I called my doctor's nurse and she laughed and said "He doesn't want to even think about meds until you have sustained systolic readings in the high 140s-150s.

I guess I am so frustrated because I am doing everything right on the planet and cannot get sustained good numbers...and I don't know how to deal with the cuff anxiety. I don't know what it means when I suddenly get a high number like that 150+ today.

What gets me is that I seem to get the highest numbers when I do everything possible NOT to...relax, take a hot bath, etc. I almost feel like I should eat a cup of salt, then a Big Mac, then an entire bottle of wine and THEN take a reading.

I know that if I don't break this cycle it will feed into genuine sustained hypertension.

acp

Old 09-10-2007, 09:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

acp,

You've been doing all you can. There's only so much excess weight a person can lose. Each kilogram of weight lost brings about a reduction of 1.1 systolic and 0.9 diastolic. That's just a little over 2 pounds per point. The reduction gets greater with an average weight loss of 5kg (6.6 systolic and 5.1 diastolic). You don't have that much weight to lose!

Something you might not be aware of: weightlifting is not recommended for patients with hypertension, because of the theoretical risks associated with large exercise surges in blood pressure. This comes from Canadian Hypertension Education Program Recommendations, (not the actual guidelines for treatment, which I would not post here) and is something to keep in mind. It's just a recommendation which does not have to be followed by anyone, of course.

Fam has some excellent advice about the biofeedback, among other things. I did some reading about it when it was being discussed on another board. It has worked for so many people! You should try it. What have you got to lose?
(Other than your anxiety)

flowergirl

Old 09-11-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Well I'm convinced I need to make some changes.
1. I'm going to give biofeedback and other stress-management therapy a
serious try.

2. I'm going to train myself to say "A BP reading in the 130s, 140s, or 150s is
NOT a death sentence."

3. I'm going to walk away from my BP reading and NOT retest, and go and do
something else.

4. I'm going to tell myself every single day that if I go on pills it won't be the
end of the world, and I will still be able to live a normal, active life.

And thanks again for all your advice!

acp

Old 09-11-2007, 07:40 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
acp,

Something you might not be aware of: weightlifting is not recommended for patients with hypertension, because of the theoretical risks associated with large exercise surges in blood pressure. This comes from Canadian Hypertension Education Program Recommendations, (not the actual guidelines for treatment, which I would not post here) and is something to keep in mind. It's just a recommendation which does not have to be followed by anyone, of course.

flowergirl
I'm looking into the weight-lifting part. What I read is that LIGHT weight lifting and proper breathing is just fine, and I'm seeing lots of testimonials from people online who say weightlifting helped lower their BP. I stopped doing the really heavy strenuous stuff 10 years ago...in favor of more cardio. What I do now is purely for toning rather than "bulk."

acp

Old 09-11-2007, 08:06 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good to know!

You've been trying so hard! I admire your determination. Staying motivated is the toughest part. Good luck!

FG

Old 09-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Motivation is the easy part. Having an immediate family member die from a brain aneurism at a young age right in front of you is about as motivating as it gets.

That being said, I will continue my regimen, and try yet another "wonder supplement," an herbal called rauwolfia I have been reading extensively on. This time I won't get overly optimistic and expect miracles though. But who knows?

acp

Old 09-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #11
(male)

sween HB User

Quote:
That being said, I will continue my regimen, and try yet another "wonder supplement," an herbal called rauwolfia I have been reading extensively on. This time I won't get overly optimistic and expect miracles though. But who knows?
please check with your doctor prior to taking any supplement that contains rauwolfia-this compound can reduce blood pressure but can also cause severe major depressive disorders, hallucinations that mimic schizophrenia and various other psychiatric issues that may very well place you at risk. It was the percursor to reserpine an old bp drug and was a drug used to induce schizophrenic symptoms in those that ancient psychiatry thought could use hallucinatory experiences to cathect non psychotic emotional issues

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-12-2007 at 10:54 PM. Reason: added quote tags

Old 09-13-2007, 07:27 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sween View Post
please check with your doctor prior to taking any supplement that contains rauwolfia-this compound can reduce blood pressure but can also cause severe major depressive disorders, hallucinations that mimic schizophrenia and various other psychiatric issues that may very well place you at risk. It was the percursor to reserpine an old bp drug and was a drug used to induce schizophrenic symptoms in those that ancient psychiatry thought could use hallucinatory experiences to cathect non psychotic emotional issues
Thanks for the advice. As I understand it, it is not the herb itself but the old drug derived from it that was the problem. Many blood pressure mixes available contain rauwolfia it seems. In any case, it seems difficult to find. So, I'm going to add something new, stevia, to my regimen, which appears to have BP lowering properties.

acp

Closed Thread