It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 03:20 AM   #1
(female)

Teacupforme HB UserTeacupforme HB User
Need to change Beta blockers due to exhaustion,which one is best?

I am on Lopressor (metropopol) 50mg in the morning and 50mg again at night. I sometimes take an extra 50 mid day. I also take an ARB with them. I changed my evening dose from 6 pm to 3 pm now due to the insomnia the BB causes.

The insomnia I suffer sometimes is unreal. I go days without sleep way beyond fatigue to complete exhaustion. I can't even think straight, and I have no idea what is going on around me due to complete lack of brain power.

This is from the Beta Blocker. I was on a higher dose, and almost collapsed on a few occasions due to exhaust. Though from my earlier post you can see that I have stress related BP and a touch of anxiety,so my GP insists Beta Blockers are right for me.

I know there are different ones out there. I think in th past I may also have been on Atenolol with similar sleep issues.

My question is are they all just about the same,and could a change to another relieve the insomnia, or not likely?
I just don't know what to do anymore. Due to the exhaustion, my BP actually rises because my body is fighting to cope with the exhaustion and pain from exhaustion. Ironic isn't it? There is only so long someone can go without sleep. I realise now why sleep deprivation can be used as torture. That's exactly how I feel after 2-3 nights of no sleep and 9 hour work days. I feel like I am being tortured,and my BP goes up anyways?

What can I do?

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User
Re: Need to change Beta blockers due to exhaustion,which one is best?

Have you ever tried an ACE inhibitor like Monopril or the like onstead of the Beta Blockers for high BP...? The only potential side effect that is most common is coughing... but the minority get that. I've been taking it for 16 years and I don't have any coughing... maybe you wouldn't either.

I tried a beta blocker for 6 weeks and hated it. Will not ever try it again.

Good luck.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

teacup,

Having been on two types of beta blockers, I sympathize with you. I am having a day you describe on my tiny dose of Bisoprolol. I am completely familiar with the type of fatigue beta blockers cause. I fell asleep in an office chair earlier while in the middle of finalizing details for a custom deck railing. Had slept all the way there, and was awake but unable to concentrate enough to talk on the way back. The exhaustion, both physical and mental, is complete.
Unfortunately, if you stay on beta blockers, that is not going to change.
Beta blockers block the effect of adrenalin on beta receptors. This slows down the heart and its demand for oxygen and blood. As a result, there's a reduction in cardiac output and less oxygenated blood is carried to the tissues. We are both on a selective beta blocker. This means that beta 1 receptors in the heart are affected for the most part, resulting in changes in the heart rate and the strength of the heart beat.
As Venture man suggested, you should quit using the beta blockers. I can tell you from personal experience that the fatigue never changes. You have to re-organize your life completely around that fatigue. You will always feel sleepy, tired and have insomnia. I did with Labetalol and still do with Bisoprolol. A non-selective and a selective beta blocker. Not much difference in that regard. ACE inhibitors are excellent for reducing blood pressure. So are the ARBs, combined with thiazide diuretics. Unless you have angina, or had a previous MI or a similar cardiac problem, you do not need to be on the beta blockers. Let your physician deal with the two separate medical issues - your anxiety and hypertension - individually. I have a feeling he just wants to make it easy on himself by prescribing one medication to help both. You should be aware that other antihypertensives increase the effects of beta blockers. Some anti-depressants, ashtma and diabetes meds do to. My advice matches Venture Man's: if you want to lead a fairly normal life, get off the beta blockers!

flowergirl

Old 09-12-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi,

Don't have much time as I am getting ready for a Dr's appointment on Friday-like studying for a final exam . Scanning your posts leads me to think your problem likely your adjustment to your job than your b/p. Dr. Dean says there is no point taking anti-depressants etc. unless you are willing to get counseling to help you cope with your problems & get some insight into solutions for the stress they create. Public speaking is the number one fear of humans so you shouldn't feel inadequate etc. for your stress reaction to it. There are ways to cope with that fear. Check out some good books on the subject.

I take Lebetalol 1800mg so I can vouch for FG's statement that one's life must revolve around the side effects. I have no choice so am making the best of a bad situation. There are ways of reducing the fatigue but I don't have time to post them now-try to do that this weekend. Since this is a apha/beta blocker, I feel there isn't as much fatigue as the pure beta blockers gave me (still more than I would volunteer for ). I don't have the sleep problems that pure beta blockers gave me (nightmares.) Taking lebetalol requires one to pay strict attention to detail & the willingness to re-arrange one's life. A big plus I found is the drug takes away one's appetite which really helps prevent over eating from all this stress of taking drugs.
Still I have gained at least 20 lbs from a combination of taking b/p drugs, being disabled from a drug reaction for a long period, & being hypothyroid.
Lebetalol would be my choice for your situation if you have to take a beta blocker rather than the pure beta blockers. My first choice would be to get counseling & perhaps take biofeedback therapy so you could be drug free.
Fam

Old 09-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
(female)

Teacupforme HB UserTeacupforme HB User

Thank you everyone for your replies. The knowledge on this board is overwelming. I knowhave to take a deep look into my situation.

Thanks again-

Old 09-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacupforme View Post
...I changed my evening dose from 6 pm to 3 pm now due to the insomnia the BB causes.

The insomnia I suffer sometimes is unreal. I go days without sleep way beyond fatigue to complete exhaustion. I can't even think straight, and I have no idea what is going on around me due to complete lack of brain power.
Yes, I know what you mean about the insomnia...I experienced it with 5 different blood pressure meds, but in different degrees of exhaustion. I have recently come across information that discussed the role of magnesium in insomnia and sleep. Magnesium is also instrumental in brain function so you may want to do some reading in this area, and make sure you're getting enough magnesium, calcium, potassium, and other nutrients.

Quote:
This is from the Beta Blocker. I was on a higher dose, and almost collapsed on a few occasions due to exhaust. Though from my earlier post you can see that I have stress related BP and a touch of anxiety,so my GP insists Beta Blockers are right for me.
Teacup, I experienced 4 falls (one which landed me in the Emergency Room), and suicidal tendencies on a beta blocker (atenenol) so I would highly advise you to find out what the potential side effects may be, and what you need to do to get off of the beta blocker if you experience severe side effects....some meds shouldn't be stopped suddenly because it could be life threatening to do so. That way, should you chose to go on a beta blocker, you'll know what to watch out for, and what to do IMMEDIATELY if you start to have problems.

Quote:
Due to the exhaustion, my BP actually rises because my body is fighting to cope with the exhaustion and pain from exhaustion. Ironic isn't it?
I believe this is why my blood pressure rose after being on medication. I appreciate hearing this from you as it validates my own experience. My systolic pressures dropped from 130 (when I was lucky) on meds, to 113 off meds.

Quote:
There is only so long someone can go without sleep. I realise now why sleep deprivation can be used as torture. That's exactly how I feel after 2-3 nights of no sleep and 9 hour work days. I feel like I am being tortured,and my BP goes up anyways?
You took the words right out of my mouth...many, many times I've made the analogy to torture and that's exactly what it is.

What can you do? Hard to say...you could try another beta blocker but be aware that they reduce activity, reduce metabolism, and increase your chances of gaining weight and increasing bp...or you could try some options offfered by other posters.

Bethsheba

I lost 10 pounds the week after I stopped taking atenolol and the weight hasn't come back.

Last edited by bethsheba; 09-15-2007 at 06:01 AM.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureMan View Post
Have you ever tried an ACE inhibitor like Monopril or the like onstead of the Beta Blockers for high BP...? The only potential side effect that is most common is coughing... but the minority get that. I've been taking it for 16 years and I don't have any coughing... maybe you wouldn't either.

I tried a beta blocker for 6 weeks and hated it. Will not ever try it again.

Good luck.
Ventureman,

There's some information out there that suggests increasing one's iron will reduce the coughing side effect. Of course there's always the danger of having too much iron in the blood so one should check with one's doctor before taking supplements.

As for the beta blocker, I'm with you...but I have heard of people with heart conditions that have benefited from its use.

Bsheba

Old 09-14-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
.... My first choice would be to get counseling & perhaps take biofeedback therapy so you could be drug free.
Fam
Yes, Famnd, I would agree.

Bethsheba

Old 09-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Teacup,

One final thought and forgive me if I've mentioned this before. Have you ruled out sleep apnea? It can cause anxiety, panic attacks, depression, and elevated blood pressures.... Treatment is often med free and 100 percent effective.

Haven't a clue if you have symptoms or not but it may be worth looking into...you can take written "self tests" to see if you might be a candidate.

Bethsheba

Old 09-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Good thought, Beth. C-pap will probably reduce systolic b/p at least 10 points or more. I find it very soothing myself. Fam

Old 09-15-2007, 06:03 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Famnd,

Didn't sleep with my cpap for a couple of nights (due to supplies needing to be replaced) and pressures went up to 150/100...need I say more?

Bethsheba

PS I can always say more, grin...I was up to pee 3 or more times each night when I wasn't using my cpap. Thank goodness my cpap supplies have arrived and things are back to normal (blood pressure down, no getting up to pee, and sleeping through the night) BIG GRIN!!!

Last edited by bethsheba; 09-15-2007 at 06:06 AM.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:42 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Fam,

I was going to look for the right post but this one will do, as it is about the beta blockers.
You mentioned on at least two occassions you had some tips on overcoming fatigue the beta blockers cause. I am doing just fine now and can cope and function Ok. I wil be increasing my dose of Bisoprolol, which might result in my feeling more tired. Getting a script for a higher dose on Friday. I will be returning to work and of course cannot be taking naps there and I have to be able to stay alert and move and think clearly. Some coffee usually helps but I don't want to get into drinking ten or more cups a day again.
So what are your tips?

Much appreciated.
flowergirl

Closed Thread