It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Hypertensive and atherosclerotic effects on blood vessels

I wish you the best of luck with biofeedback. I hope it works for you. It has helped so many people in reducing their blood pressure. Let us know how it goes.

FG

Old 10-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

there's an excellent article just out in ejournal of cardiology practice. It is about oxidative stress and atherosclerosis. It goes into detail about how some conditions, including hypertension, which predispose us to atherosclerosis, are also associated with an increased production of reactive oxygen species. Hypertension seems to stimulate inflammatory response. The author describes the mechanism of oxidative stress and how it affects the arteries. It is recommended that instead of attacking the free radicals with antioxidant vitamins such as vitamin E, ACE inhibitors be used for best results.

flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #18
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

I'll check that out. ACE inhibitors are pretty powerful and have some strong side effects, so I'd be cautious. But that is interesting!

For now I like the broad anti-inflammation approach which combines diet and supplements such as antioxidants and others that help arteries.

tamuprof45

Old 10-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

It goes to show just how versatile the ACE inhibitors are. They are used for treating cardiological problems, hypertension, some kidney diseases, and even these types of conditions.
This publication is for cardiologists, the well referenced articles contributed by the same. They prescribe the ACE inhibitors for heart failure and to heart attack patients. I agree that these drugs are powerful and effective, with fewer side effects than other antihypertensives. I am glad I am on it and often recommend it to others.
Diet and exercise are probably the best ways to avoid/defer these medical conditions. Achieving and maintaining a normal blood pressure (by ANY means) is the most important thing.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 10-10-2007 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typos

Old 10-11-2007, 05:38 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Ace Inhibitors especially PERINDOPRIL (ACEON) and RAMIPRIL (ALTACE) appear to be among the most cardio-protective. The only problems with Ace
inhibitors (as with lots of meds) are side effects. The Ace Inhibitors are the most researched and research yields very positive results. I'm currently trying a low dose of ACEON (as an addition to low dose BENICAR) for better blood pressure control. I had trouble tolerating ALTACE apprx 5 years ago and was switched. I hope this med. proves better.

I believe Ace Inhibitors are more beneficial than the ARB's that many of us are switched to ex. COZAAR, DIOVAN, BENICAR etc...
COZAAR and DIOVAN are fairly well researched. BENICAR is yet to prove any strong positive studies with the exception of many laboratory RAT experiments, but doctors push them like crazy.

As you mention Inflammation and atherosclerotic effects, I think that the addition (among some others) of vitamins such as VITAMIN C, Vitamin E (natural), NIACIN, FOLIC ACID and a low dose of a statin, can reverse atherosclerotic plaque and inflammation.. see "The combination of NIACIN and ZOCOR"

P.S. Ace Inhibitors may also prevent cancer...I guess it's due to the snake venom toxin ingredient, which has this effect. When they say; These blood pressure meds. are poison.... I guess they are not kidding......

[removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-11-2007 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Do not copy material directly from another website.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:40 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Ace,

Quote:
P.S. Ace Inhibitors may also prevent cancer...I guess it's due to the snake venom toxin ingredient, which has this effect. When they say; These blood pressure meds. are poison.... I guess they are not kidding......
Very funny! I knew about the cancer prevention. I did not know about its snake venom ingredient. Perhaps that is why the ACE inhibitors are so effective! Did you know that they also keep the blood sugar in check, so, to an extent, protect from diabetes? (As opposed to beta blockers that help cause it).
I was on Altace originally with no problems. I was switched to 20mg Ramipril a few weeks later, because another doctor thought it would be a better drug for me. I've never heard of the one you are trying now. Perhaps it also goes by another name. I cannot stand either of the two ARBs we tried, Diovan and Micardis. I am allergic to something in them.
I too am a strong believer in the anti-inflammatory properties of the vitamins and other supplements, though have not taken Niacin or folic acid. My doctor said the statin and aspirin should be enough. I'll read about the combination of Niacin & Zocor you suggested. Thanks for that!

flowergirl

Old 10-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

there's a new device becoming available that will enable most physicians to screen carotid arteries in their offices. It is a miniature portable ultrasound machine. It screens for plaque buildup and measures the thickness of the arterial wall.
Previous versions (in use in some ERs) were about a laptop size, weighed 3.5 kg and cost $45,000 with the software. Smaller devices have now been developed and released just last week. Acuson P10 costs about $10,000. It is being used in UW Madison and costs $295 for the test.
The upside: this screening will prevent sudden deaths in people with no symptoms of heart disease. The downside: there will be overtreatment with cholesterol drugs (hooray for Astra Zeneca, which endorses & helps promote this screening). Many doctors using this device will lack the extensive training that the ultrasound technicians have. This will result in frequent treatment of non-existent problems.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 10-11-2007 at 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Hi Ace,

Very funny! I knew about the cancer prevention. I did not know about its snake venom ingredient. Perhaps that is why the ACE inhibitors are so effective! Did you know that they also keep the blood sugar in check, so, to an extent, protect from diabetes? (As opposed to beta blockers that help cause it).
I was on Altace originally with no problems. I was switched to 20mg Ramipril a few weeks later, because another doctor thought it would be a better drug for me. I've never heard of the one you are trying now. Perhaps it also goes by another name. I cannot stand either of the two ARBs we tried, Diovan and Micardis. I am allergic to something in them.
I too am a strong believer in the anti-inflammatory properties of the vitamins and other supplements, though have not taken Niacin or folic acid. My doctor said the statin and aspirin should be enough. I'll read about the combination of Niacin & Zocor you suggested. Thanks for that!

flowergirl

Flowergirl,

The Ace-Inhibitor I'm taking is known as (Perindopril) In America it is known as ACEON and in Canada as COVERSYL. A big European research study called EUROPA used perindopril....

P.S. You mentioned switching from ALTACE to RAMIPRIL.... ALTACE is the brand name of RAMIPRIL in the U.S...

Old 10-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sorry, I really have to get my act together. Even my doctor can't keep my meds straight. He gets confused. I am not alone. I was on Norvasc then was switched to Felodipine. We were talking about ACE inhibitors, not the CCBs. Thanks for reminding me. I am also on Ramipril and have been since day one.

FG

Old 10-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

I just watched a video about a new stent. It is called a "wingspan" stent and is the first of its kind.
Its main purpose is to prevent strokes. It will be used in patients with an intracranial atherosclerotic disease. Up until now, the only treatment available was an aspirin therapy or the use of big & bulky heart stents.
Compared to the stents used in coronary arteries, it is light and extremely flexible. It can be bent or squeezed and will bounce right back to the right position. Because of their size and extreme flexibility, these stents, besides being used in the brain, will also be used in the neck arteries. The cranial arteries are smaller and more fragile than elsewhere in the body. The wingspan stent was designed specifically for use in the brain arteries. It works by opening up the artery at the blockage site and keeping it open to allow for a good blood flow.

Speaking of stents, there's another new invention in the making, undergoing trials right now. In the very near future, we'll be hearing a lot about a stent that completely dissolves itself in the patients' artery after a period of time. Based on the information to date, it looks very promising.

flowergirl

Old 11-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was reviewing the highlights of the new 2007 ESH/ESC Hypertension Treatment Guidelines and found this interesting:

Two "new" measures are recommended for assessment of end-organ damage in hypertension. They are an ankle-brachial ratio and the pulse wave velocity. They are recommended because they reflect changes in arterial stiffness. Both of them represent sensitive and accurate markers of atherosclerotic disease. It's great to see these tests will be routinely used in some countries as a part of the diagnostic workup in individuals with high blood pressure. It might not be long before similar changes to hypertension treatment guidelines are adopted by other countries.

Other items of interest - a flexible threshold for treatment of hypertension, based both on elevation of blood pressure values AND an assessment of total cardiovascular risk profile.

Beta blockers still remain a firstline antihypertensive drug for people with angina, previous MI or HF.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 11-07-2007 at 05:17 PM.

Closed Thread