It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 06:24 AM   #1
(male)

Hux HB User
mercury monitors - worth it?

Hi all,

My doctor has recommended I purchase a mercury BP monitor with stethoscope as she believes they are much more accurate than the electronic ones (which I have). She also gave me some basic instructions on how to use them - a bit tricky (though when I was a kid I do remember my mum using one on my dad with no problems). I'd like to know what you guys think about the idea. If they are indeed more accurate, can you tell me if such a degree of accuracy is required? I realise the trends and ranges are more important than the exact figures but I'm just curious. Is anyone else using a mercury device and how are you getting along with taking the readings?

Thanks,
Hux

PS. In the country I live mercury monitors can be purchased for as little as US$6!

Old 10-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: mercury monitors - worth it?

Hux,

I can't answer your questions but will share this: I watched two videos on the computer about using blood pressure monitors correctly.
The one you are considering to purchase is, for a layperson, very tricky to use. As I watched the person demonstrating how to use it, I felt so relieved I had not needed to learn that technique.
Why is your doctor concerned with the accuracy of your blood pressure readings? Do you have white coat hypertension? Strange to hear a doctor recommend one of these. The other ones are SO MUCH easier for patients to use. The automatic BP monitors most of us use are, in my opinion, very accurate. My monitor was tested for accuracy by the doctor at the clinic, and was found to be as accurate as the one he uses.
It will be interesting to hear from people who use these monitors. I wonder how widespread their use may be in this day & age.

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 10-02-2007 at 06:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hux,

I have two mercury & two electronic monitors. I started using the mercury until my hands were damaged by Cozaar. I found the Omiron EM the most accurate after testing every machine I could get my hands on. My neighbors have been very helpful in this endeavor as well as Walmart when I took back several.

It is somewhat less stressful to use the mercury because one is busy manipulating the equipment which must raise the b/p somewhat with the muscle tension involved. I liked actually hearing the blood coming through the stethscope.

If you find the mercury too stressful then I wouldn't do it cause that's not what you want more stress involved with b/p. Fam

Last edited by famnd; 10-02-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

I think doctors like to tell people this...I don't know why. There is little or no evidence to suggest home monitors are inaccurate. In fact, there are medical studies that show home monitoring gives better long term health projections than doctor's readings.

tamuprof45

Old 10-07-2007, 03:22 AM   #5
(male)

Hux HB User

Thanks for all the replies. I am not too sure why my doctor is so concerned with the accuracy of my BP. However, it is certainly true that I suffer from whitecoat hypertension - don't we all?? I agree that grappling with the mercury monitor will only add to the stress of taking a reading too. I've dcided to stick with the trusty old Omron Sem-1 for now!

Hux

Closed Thread