It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
New 3rd generation Beta-blocker (Nebivol) in the FDA approval pipeline

A new beta-blocker is to be released shortly called Nebivolol. It is currently being prescribed in more than 65 countries..with the exception of the U.S.
It appears that all the good meds. are very difficult to approve in the U.S.
Doctors appear to push mainly Atenolol and TOPROL with numerous side effects (including severe fatigue, high chlesterol/triglcerides,low HDL and sexual dysfunction ) Nebivol supposedly does not have these effects. I asked my doctor for a prescription for a rather well researched beta-blocker called KERLONE or generic Betaxolol (which my pharmacist told me has less side effects and works great for many) but my M.D would not prescribe it to me. He said it is not well known.. He would only switch me to Atenolol from TOPROL.. (We go from the furnace to the fire) This leads me to believe that Pharmaceutical Interests not patient interests call the shots..
Anyway, keep posted on this new beta-blocker approval (ask your Doc) (If it ever gets approved and if he prescribes it) The approval process has been pending for 3 + years...

Here is some information on this new beta blocker from Medscape:

[removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-09-2007 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Do not copy material directly from another website.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: New 3rd generation Beta-blocker (Nebivol) in the FDA approval pipeline

Great!

Thanks for that information, ACE!

Guess what I am going to do now......a few searches of European databases. I want to learn more about these two drugs. I've never heard of either. I also want to see if either is available in Canada and read a few clinical trials. I wonder how effective these beta blockers are compared to the traditional betas and other antihypertensives.

You'd think they would jump at the chance to make these types of medications available to the public. Most of us, the patients, would gladly pay the going price in exchange for fewer side effects. We all know what the bottom line is, don't we? I somehow doubt a genuine concern for our safety is the reason the FDA's approval is still pending three years later.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Hi Flowergirl2day,

I'm always researching pills prescribed to me by my MD's. Always checking for the latest and greatest and drawing comparisons. Besides, most of the time we are the guinea pigs for most of these meds prescribed by our doctors and surely influenced by pharmaceutical sales reps. As High Blood pressure meds. are sometimes prescribed for life, we should be sure the pills have some proven value. For example, while searching different beta-blockers as a replacement to TOPROL, A beta-blocker named ACEBUTOLOL appeared to be an excellent choice, but as I researched further I discovered a very serious side effect "LUPUS" syndrome which was shown to have effected approx. 15 -20% of persons using this drug (much higher then with TOPROL or ATENOLOL) Those are odds I wish to avoid.....

P.S. Unfortunately, all meds. have some type of side effect and what works for one person may not work for another, but we should at least be aware of what meds. are available and the pros and cons, rather than be prescribed a prescription and sent on our way....

Old 10-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I could not agree with you more!

I learned the hard way about medications and their side effects. I had medications prescribed for me that were contraindicated because of my medical issues. I took meds that interact with one another. I was on three potassium building/sparing meds at a time, horrified constantly that my potassium would reach lethal levels and I'd simply drop dead. I won't even go into how sick I was with the many side effects of my medications.
I had many scary experiences, including conduction irregularieties, both brachycardia & bradycardia, chest pains etc., all drug-related.
This has resulted in something similar to a drug paranoia. Before taking any new drug, I thouroughly research it in my many drug books as well as online. I read a bunch of studies. I compare the results. I learn every bit of information I can about the drug, how it works, and what it can do. I get additional information about adverse reaction - information not known until after the drug has been in public use, as reported by the doctors and their patients. I subscribe to drug alerts (Canadian government website being one of my good sources). It's incredible how MANY drugs get recalled for safety reasons. It sure helps to be informed. To some of us, it could mean a difference between life & death.

P.S. This is in no way meant to discourage others from taking prescription drugs. They are real life savers. One should always get informed about their side-effects prior to the actual use. The fewer the drugs & the lower the dosing, the better.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 10-09-2007 at 08:27 PM. Reason: adding P.S.

Closed Thread