It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
FG Re: acid reflux & b/p meds

I re-read two of my books on acid reflux. The Fire Inside You is one of them. The author talks about the early experiments that proved there is often a connection between asthma & or airway constriction & acid reflux. A lot of b/p meds are known to cause a decrease in the pressure in the valve (like a swinging door which only swings one way) between the esophagus (throat) & the stomach. The valve is a circular muscle which closes tightly when there is no food in the esophagus & then open when food comes down the tube.

I have to remind my daughter of that because my grandson is having breathing problems & ends up in the ER at least once a month. Asthma meds are not helping (he has never been diagnosied with astham). He was born premature which is a risk factor for acid reflux. Actually the asthma meds can cause acid reflux too.

So I'm wondering if the asthma meds you were taking with Lebatalol caused you to have more breathing problems.

I'll get the name of that other acid reflux book tomorrow. Fam

Old 10-09-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: FG Re: acid reflux & b/p meds

Hi Fam,

just a very brief note-will write more tomorrow. Remember me doing research of the other blood pressure drugs I was on at the time (and still am) of my worst breathing difficulties, specifically, the ACE Inhibitors and bronchoconstriction? I posted it. According to one of our government websites (sort of a watchdog group), such adverse reactions (respiratory problems) were reported with ACE inhibitors over the years. As is the case in the USA, the adverse reactions (effects of drugs coming to light AFTER they have been approved and released for public use, and previously unknown) go mostly unreported.
I also learned just recently from one of my drug books that calcium channel blockers (another one of my meds) can also cause bronchoconstriction. So who knows what causes what. I sure don't anymore. I was not on the Nexium while on the 800mg of Labetalol. The info in your post is fascinating. I want to learn more. I guess I have to do some book shopping!
I am gonna have to get rid of some of my non-medical books. I just have too many. I have several bookcases full. Need a bigger house I guess!

flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi everyone,

I wonder if you've ever experienced this. You go to bed, lie down & within a couple of minutes start feeling as if you were drowning. The eyes start watering, the nose starts to feel a bit congested, with an impulse to swallow repeatedly. Then there is sporadic cough. Sometimes it initiates choking. The only thing to do is to get up and walk around. Just another reason I don't get a good night's sleep. I've had this for months. I mentioned it to my blood pressure doctor. All he said to me was that the cough was not from the ACE inhibitors, because it was not present round the clock. It is annoying and ever so predictable. It happens like clockwork. The only thing that scares me is when I start choking. One can't feel it coming.
My question is: could it be caused by my acid reflux somehow backing up into the lungs (only) when I lie down? I don't feel anything coming up the esophagus at all. It happens mostly at night, seldom during the day. Sleeping on two Certa pillows (they are very thick) seems to make it better.

Could these be some weird side effects of medication? I don't think it's of cardiological origin, though cannot exclude that possibility.

P.S. I did some research of possible causes and thought that pulmonary hypertension could be causing this. After mentioning the nightly congestion (for lack of a better word) to my GP, I asked him to listen to my lungs during one of my last visits to his office. He said they sounded OK. Unfortunately (for a good reason), I don't believe anything my GP tells me. I now have to wait until I see my blood pressure doctor again (late December or early January) to get his opinion on this.

Many thanks, Flowergirl

Old 10-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

When did this start? The symptoms could be related except watering eyes which I don't understand. Do you sleep on your back? Sleeping on your left side is best with AR. Put a pillow in front of you. You must get to the bottom of all this & get some sleep. Fam

Old 10-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Fam,

I sleep on my back because of all the stuff on my face & neck. (My creams, moisturizer and toner). I really don't want to give those up. They make me look much younger and keep all the wrinkles away.
I would find a way to sleep on the side if I had to. I have a body pillow. I think my meds could be causing this. I had long lasting congestion from meds in the past. It was a little different, more nasal and included a change in my voice. I always sounded as if I was having a bad cold. I'd never had to jump out of the bed quickly because I was choking though. I read about a lady whose stomach acid was getting into her lungs because of her hiatal hernia. I forgot how it all works. The doctors had to fix her hernia surgically because she could not breathe. The acid was accumulating in her lungs and was the main reason she was so short of breath in the first place. I wonder if one would feel, smell or taste the acid. I'll sleep with several pillows tonight. I've never had bigger of thicker pillows than the ones I have now. The very best. I am almost sitting up when I use both. That way the acid (??) stays down and things are not bad. It's hard to sleep with your head & upper spine so high up. I am going to give it a try now. Good night.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I've only had that choking a few times in recent yrs. When the acid gets down my trachea to the lungs, I can't breath because it causes the esophagus (throat) to spasm. It scared me into action!!!

When the more serious symptoms started like that & also I just one day gagged on Mylanta & couldn't take it anymore, I decided that enough was enough. That was in the 80's & there was very little info or meds which now I am thankful because the only thing to do was to dramatically change what I ate & when & do all the other lifestyle stuff like wear loose fitting clothes around my middle.

You are at risk for cancer of the esophagus at the very least so this situation can not go on. Since you don't get the pain, you don't realize the damage that is being done.
These b/p meds just compound the situation. And we can't change that.

I use light to medium down pillows (5) so that the pillows can conform to my head & shoulders. They have to be fluffed up everyday. The thicker pillows don't work.

Another option is a wedge pillow which is divided into about 4 slices (soft foam) so you can adjust the height.Then you could sleep on your back. There is always the problem of sliding down in bed with this or with elevating the head of you bed. We did that once with bricks under the bed posts. The next morning we were both in a ball at the foot of the bed.

Sleeping on one's left side is best because of the angle of where the esophagus comes into the stomach. I try to not lean over much (the soft body pillow helps here).

My husband has trouble sleeping on his left side so in the interest of marital harmony, I eat early in the am & just have milk & a slice with cheese with my meds by seven pm at the latest. He can't change the way his heart reacts to sleeping on his left side (pounding) but I can change
my body's reaction by making sure my food is out of the stomach by the time I go to bed.

I looked into the AR meds but the long term side effects just aren't worth it to me. Acid in the stomach is there for a reason, to protect the body from bacteria coming in from food etc.

You have to idenify which foods cause the most problems. Some foods have to be given up entirely. Fat is the biggest culprit which I know you don't eat much of. Meat is another one. Switching to a veggie diet (with eggs & cheese) really helped the situation. You probably don't want to to do that.

Socially it is a problem because most people don't understand the seriousness of the situation & most socializing involves eating. Eating out is just impossible for me. I don't miss it because I like my cooking better than any meal eaten out. Eating at someone's home is another story-that I miss. Sometimes I will just have a tiny piece of some foods or take a serving to have the next morning.

You really need to get those books on AF. Wish I had had them instead of all my trial & error experiments. Wish I had written them!!!

How to Stop Heartburn by Minocha is one. Can't find the other one at the moment.

Sorry for all the bad news but situation is as serious as the hypertension. Not getting a good nights sleep is not doing a thing for HBP & is I'm sure increasing your b/p.

I'm probably going to my daughter's on Sunday so I will be checking in from time to time.

When you have your health, you have everything as we all on this board know now. Fam

Old 10-26-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for all your advice. I will start locating books on acid reflux. I would also like to get the one you recommended, Fire From Within. I have not researched this condition at all, (or the hernia) because I thought they both were just irritating minor issues, causing some discomfort perhaps but quite harmless.
I can't sleep so high up. I ended up using just one pillow last night. Besides, the pillows did not stop my eyes from getting teary.
One should never underestimate the power of a good nights' sleep. You are right about this possibly contributing to an elevated blood pressure. It is around 160/95 this morning in both arms. Generally, in the 130s with an occassional mid 120s or 140s reading. Unfortunately, we have no control over our blood pressure. By the time I see my hypertension doctor, the meds will have to be increased. I'll remember to ask him about going back on Labetalol. I think it worked best for me. If I don't have asthma and my SOB was caused by something else, Labetalol should be OK. I am afraid that if I stop the Nexium after 3 months of treatment, my shortness of breath will come back. As you know, they don't recommend a longer treatment (beyond 90 days) because of the long term side effects. I've heard of people staying on it for years. I may have to do the same if I can't breathe properly without it. I wish I knew what had caused my breathing difficulties for sure, so I would not have to worry about them returning. The mere thought of it scares me and I think about it every day. I hope I'll have a good day at work. I start later today. Not my idea. Have a good day!

flowergirl

Old 10-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

With your eyes tearing, it almost sounds like you have an allergy to something in your bed?

The feather pillows deplete in size once your head is on the pillow so you aren't up so high. It is also important to have the shoulder's supported. At first, I positioned the pillows so that were on a slant-each a little lower. I should get back to that.

My sleep study Dr. was so much help in sorting out all my sleeping issues. He was the one that said that I had to get off of Clonidine & had some studies to back it up. He wrote a note to my PCP as she did not want me off of it.

I read or hear someone say that sleeping well helps prevent us from waking up to go to the bathroom. We just sleep through it. The kidneys are supposed to concentrate urine at night so it should be darker.

Dr. Northrup said that even one cup of coffee in the AM can cause some people to have trouble sleeping.

I tried going shopping later about 2pm after napping etc & taking my meds. I didn't feel so tired after 4hrs of shopping. Of course, it wasn't as hot outside (60 degrees) but it was in the stores. I don't like contending with all the people though but it sure is great not to have the tireness.

If you ever run out of facial creams, you might want to try crisco. In my 30's, I started using creams but found they all irritated my skin. Saw a program about the effects of aging with a 100 yr old lady with beautiful skin. Crisco is what she used. I always get compliments on my skin so I guess it works.

I hope you can get some rest this weekend.

Fam

Old 10-26-2007, 07:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for sharing your experience with the pillows and your tips on how to choose the best ones. Participating in a sleep study would be very interesting, providing there's a washroom nearby. How would one go about requesting it? Do they do this testing only when they suspect a sleep disorder is the primary cause of high blood pressure?

What a great idea to use Crisco instead of expensive French creams. I would not have thought of that. Grandma knows best. Live and learn.
I can't think of anything (or anyone) in my bed I could be allergic to. Detergent on the bed linen? I use the same one. Hubby has his own bed because of his back problems & neuropathy. I don't dust as often as I should. So there's some dust on the furniture. I'll give it some thought. I think it has to do with my changing from an upright position to lying flat on my back.
I am glad you had another good day and did not get too tired. You must be so used to feeling tired by now. Not that we can do anything about it. I get tired too, but am so busy all day it does not hit me until I get home and sit down. Then I get sleepy.
Make the best of the time spent with your daughter in the next few days. I love visiting with my daughter-in-law & her little ones.

flowergirl

Closed Thread