It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
(female)

raykara HB User
(if the diastolic is high and the systolic is low what does it mean

(if the diastolic is high and the systolic is low what does it mean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User
Re: (if the diastolic is high and the systolic is low what does it mean

First it depends on how old you are and your general health. In people over 50, esp. with cardiovascular problems, doctors identify "systolic hypertension" as a problem, caused by stiffening arteries.

In younger folk, stress and anxiety will make the systolic rise, but not necessarily the diastolic.

tamuprof45

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
(female)

Runnergirl1201 HB User

I would like to know what this means also. My Systolic runs anywhere from 105 to 115 typically but my diastolic is always over 90. Usually around 95. I asked my primary doctor and he said too much salt. I am in my early 30's, run 20 miles a week, don't overload on salt, etc... 6 months ago my blood pressure was typically 100/70. If I find anything out I will let you know. What are your readings like usually?

Old 10-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi,

Just a thought-since your heart is supposed to be in the resting phrase during diastolic-the increased pressure may have something to do with your heart. I know pressures will go up with too much strain on the heart like too much exercise. One of the signs of this is feeling very tired the day after the increased exercise.

You could try cutting back on your running & see what happens.

Also, check into other causes such as something like herb teas etc. or maybe certain supplements that may be irritating your heart. I used to be able to drink coffee until suddenly I started getting heart palpitations. It wasn't the caffeine as I found out later-it was one of the other chemicals in the coffee.

We are individual in how we respond to different substances. Since your diastolic was normal before, I would look into what has changed with your lifestyle in the mean time. Dr's just don't have the time to investigate all these issues. I had to spend a lot of time with my b/p/med issues to get to the bottom of the problem. Good luck. Fam

Old 10-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
(female)

Runnergirl1201 HB User

Thanks! I am actually scheduled for a stress echo next week. I hope it does not show anything bad, but I also hope it might tell me what is going on. I have been running for years so I don't know what to think. Maybe I will watch my caffeine. I have been drinking a lot more coffee lately!

Closed Thread