It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User
Is there ANY BP med that doesn't say "stay out Sun"?

My husband works in sun all day, tells the Dr's any of them over yrs he cannot take a BP med works in sun all day if they say that. They assure him this one is ok. Sure enough get it home & ck & says STAY OUT OF SUN!! Are there any sun won't affect/ Thanks

Old 10-19-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User
Re: Is there ANY BP med that doesn't say "stay out Sun"?

I've taken ACE inhibitors (Monopril, fosinopril, etc) for 16 years and have never heard to stay out of the sun.

I go out of my way to sunbath and tan during the summer and have never had an issue with Monopril and Fosinopril.

Best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

Thanks, he was on enalapril & now given atacand & both say stay out of sun. He did have a problem w/enalipril & the sun. Does yours warn about sun?

Old 10-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

According to my drug book, all of the following BP meds may cause some photosensitivity (sensitivity to the sun)

Captopril ACE Inhibitor
Diltiazem & Nifedipine CCBs
Triamterene Potassium sparing diuretic
Hctz Diuretic

Exposure to the sun while taking these drugs may lead to sunburn or worse in some people. It does not mean that everyone will be thus affected. Some people can develop a sensitivity to an ultraviolet light and end up with a skin rash or sunburn. Photosensitivity may lead to phototoxicity.
The only classes of antihypertensive drugs not mentioned under the photosensitivity heading in this book book are the beta blockers and the ARBs. I have been on all of the above drugs and have not noticed any sensitivity at all. I have a nice suntan and spent a lot of time outdoors all summer long. People taking these and other drugs that may cause photosensitivity are advised to use sunscreen before exposure to the sun.

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 10-20-2007 at 09:03 AM.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

Thanks for all the info. My husband works in the county, Fla so it's real hot & the sun is extra strong. I just wonder if any of these drugs can add to heat or sun stoke.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I got a thick red rash on the front of my neck & sides that must have been a reaction from Inderal & the sun. I usually walk before 9am. Funny thing though the rash did leave immediately when I started Lebatelol (an apha/beta blocker).

Inderal is a beta blocker which I've read do cause increased heat intolerance.

Fam

Old 10-21-2007, 06:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

Actually we are doing that, of course the dr wants him on meds so I was checking in case it didn't work. I have him on apple cider vin, magnesium, potassium & some others. Seems to be doing ok, only pain in the neck is keeping track of it, all readings are diff store, Dr's & the one we have at home, which one to believe?

Old 10-21-2007, 08:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

That's an easy question!!! Don't believe the one at the store. Take your b/p monitor to your Dr's & check against the Dr's. When my b/p was over 200, I checked at the Pharmacy as I was waiting in line for meds. Guess what their b/p cuff said? 120/70 or something. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong !!! These cuffs are not checked for accuracy on a regular basis. Fam

Closed Thread