It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Thyroid issues & iodine & b/p

Got a shock when I looked at the updated iodized salt container. It seems that 1/4 tsp of salt provides all the sodium we need to function, but we need twice that much salt to get the iodine (150mcg) if we don't eat sea food or another source of iodine.

A lot of us have greatly reduced our intake of salt or cut it out altogether. Commercial foods do not use iodized salt so while we may be getting enough sodium from the salt they do use & from other foods, we fall short on the iodine.
My son found that info when he researched iodine & the body.

Why is iodine important? Our thyroid gland can't function without it. Plain & simple!!! It may enlarge & raise our b/p by making us hypothyroid (not enough thyroid hormone). BTW too much hormone can increase our b/p as well.

My daughter was recently diagnosised with thyroid cancer. While researching T. cancer, I found out that not enough iodine is listed as one of the possible causes.

In case you don't know, you need to have some salt in your diet when you are on a diuretic to prevent your blood from getting too low in sodium.

I don't know about you but I am getting weighed down with all the do's & don'ts. On the other hand, my meds are working so I don't want to end up in the ER because of something I did or didn't do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2007, 11:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Thyroid issues & iodine & b/p

Thanks for sharing this information. Most of us never think of iodine. I know I don't. I just checked the label on my Centrum multivitamins with minerals for iodine content. The print was so fine I could not read it with my glasses on. Luckily, I have a magnifying glass. There's 0.15mg of iodine (potassium iodide) in each capsule.
I checked several sites for a daily recommended amount of iodine. It is 150 micrograms (mcg) for adults. I have a feeling that that's exactly what is in the one-a-day vitamin/mineral and that 0.15mg equals 150mcg. Good to know!!! We certainly don't eat much seafood. When we do, we have an Alaskan king crab, oysters or prawns. I am glad we don't have to start eating more of these things. I am not too crazy about any of them. I have been getting the daily recommended amount of this important mineral without knowing it. This is a perfect example of how important the daily supplementation is. In my opinion, the average person does not get the recommended daily amounts of nutrients from dietary intake alone, no matter how good the diet may be.
I didn't know about the thyroid problems being caused partly by a lack of iodine in the diet. I hope your daughter receives the treatment she needs and wish her the best.

flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2007, 03:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

FG,

I had told you 100mcg iodine cause I wasn't sure what my son had told me on the phone so I thought I better err on the lower side.

Then he emailed the correct info. of 150mcg. Yes I'm pretty sure 0.15mg is 150mcg. Don't feel like getting my chart out.

I don't eat any seafood or take vitamins so I might have gotten in trouble with not enough iodine when I decreased my sodium to a lower level.

What would we do without the Internet? Fam

Old 10-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hello,

Some websites say that women can get by on less than 150mcg of iodine. Does not matter. The important thing is to get some iodine every day.
It is amazing how interconnected and dependent on each other the numerous processes occuring in our bodies are. Thyroid disorders, some of which may be in part due to iodine deficiency, result in an elevated blood pressure. If the levels of cholesterol in the bile acid in the gallbladder get too high, or the bile acid levels too low, the cholesterol solidifies into granules and, eventually, gallstones. It never ceases to amaze me how precise everything has to be for our bodies to function properly. I was just reading about this in one of the library books while having my first cup of coffee.

Sensitivity to dietary salt - with or without the high blood pressure - has the same consequences as high blood pressure.
I was never told the reason I had to go on the low sodium diet, either the high blood pressure or the kidneys. Maybe I am not even salt sensitive. There's no way of finding out because there are no diagnostic tests. I read that the only way to find out is to consume higher levels of sodium for a certain period of time and take blood pressure measurements after each meal. Salt sensitivity is defined as a greater than 10% increase in blood pressure following a high salt meal. It is recommended that everyone (even people with normal blood pressure) reduce their salt intake.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 10-27-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I cut out all salt (added) for 8 wks before being on meds & having HBP & there was no change in my b/p. I would be afraid of doing that now because of HCTZ. At my last visit I asked the doctor & she said to keep doing what I'm doing cause it is working. She just goes by the blood sodium level. I don't eat much commercially prepared food except for cheese & bread.

That's good to know that the amount isn't that important. That's what I always thought.

How is your rash? Mine is still itching away. Tried alcohol on the rash (70% isoprolpel) & it works pretty well. It pretty cheap. Benedryl works great but it is nearly $4.00 & the pkg says not to put it on a wide area which I have now. Fam

Old 10-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

fam,

I still have the rash except it looks different now. No bumps to be seen, just a few patches of inflamed skin. I was just checking it out and applied cream to the skin before getting on the computer. It itches like crazy. I will get some Benedryl tomorrow, maybe it will work better or faster than hydrocortizone. I think the meds are somehow affecting my immune system and things take longer to heal. I don't like to blame the meds for everything. The fact is I did not have any of the annoying problems I have now before starting the meds.
Just as you would be afraid of cutting out the salt (because of the Hctz), I'd be afraid of adding high amounts of it to my diet for a time in order to determine whether or not I am salt-sensitive. I guess I'll never know. I am hoping that my lower sodium intake is beneficial though. At least I am following my doctor's orders. Some people don't.

flowergirl

Closed Thread