It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
(female)

Joyful71 HB User
High Blood Pressure 16 year old

Could you please help me to understand why a 16 year old would have high blood pressure. She is veryactive, swims on the swim team, eats very healthy, is a bright an Honor Student in all her classes. Her mon has just been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Could this be an underlying cause? Any answers? Thank You, Caring Granmother

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
(male)

midi77 HB User
Re: High Blood Pressure 16 year old

I have heard that 16 is when high blood pressure usually begins in most people, it is just not caught until later on. When was the reading taken? Have others been taken at different times of the day? One high reading may not actually indicate Hypertension, several readings averaged together is far more accurate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
(male)

joe86 HB User

An extremely stressful event could be a factor in this but it's only one of many possibilities. I also recommend getting a number of different readings over several days or longer. You can't make any judgement based only on one.

If her pressure is truly high it could be due to a number of underlying conditions that will need to be investigated by a doctor. Hopefully it's just a one-time incident. Keep an eye on it regularly until a pattern emerges.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

I'm sorry about the sad news and I hope that everything will be fine soon. I have high blood pressure since I was 13, as far I know, but I think I have it even before than that. It's in my genetics because both my father and my uncle suffer from High BP. One of my sisters also has High BP but she got it in the 30s.

I think that smoking, salt and bad diet triggered my hypertension.
Does anyone else in her family suffer from high BP?
if so then I think it's in her genetics and being sad or depressed may trigger the elevated blood pressure.

All what she has to do, before medication, is to eat better and exercise. I think Yoga and deep breathing work is great too, I can't do Yoga because I have other health conditions. I have tried deep breathing and it's great.
Michael

Last edited by cartner; 11-04-2007 at 04:14 PM.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

First off... sorry to hear about your Daughter.

Regarding your Grand Daughter, the greatest underlying cause of High BP is being overweight.

One of the best ways to gage if she is overweight is to calculate her Body Mass Index (BMI). What is her weight and height...? These two numbers can be used to calulate her BMI.

It's important to talk about weight when it comes to blood pressure. I know that a person's weight does not make who the person is... especially a for a child... they are all beautiful.

I know a child's beauty is not based on weight... but BP generally is.

And a child being on the swim team does not mean that the child is not overweight. All my children have been active swimmers for 8 years... two swim on both the High School Swim Team and on the High School Water Polo Team, and all of my children swim on a recreational swim team. They are basically swimming year round.

Given my exposure to swimming, I'm very familiar with the physiques of the kids who swim... and there are quite a few good swimmers that are clearly overweight... maybe even obese... both boys and girls. So I it's important to be factual regarding weight.

I'd like to hear how high the BP really is Do you have her blood pressure numbers...? Maybe her BP is only borderline high.

At age 32 when I was first diagnosed, my BP was 160/110. I bet it was high when I was 20 given how extremely high is was at age 32.

Anyway, if you would like to share any of those numbers, folks may be able to give a better opinion.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 11-04-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Closed Thread