It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
(female)

Amy26 HB User
Lower the Pressure - Higher the Heart Rate

Hi quick question... is there a reason why my heart rate would go up the lower my bp is? The higher my bp is, the lower my heart rate...

I have a wrist bp checker (I often take it with me to the dr office to see if I get the same reading) and it takes my pulse.

My heart rate standing when I check my bp is 130 with a pressure of 116/80. When I made the post about my bp being higher last week, my heart rate was like around 90 or so.

What is a normal heart rate? And is the increased heart rate explainable or is it the medicine that is making it higher? Also, is a resting heart rate of 130 ok?

I started taking my Benicar again because my ear ringing did not stop after 3 days and my bp was up to like 135/92 ... I have noticed though that over the last few months, my heart rate is consistently higher the lower my bp. It also annoys me that when I go to bed I can feel and hear in my head my heart beating in my chest.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Lower the Pressure - Higher the Heart Rate

Amy,

normal heart rate is 60-100 beats per minute in an adult, higher in a younger child.
If your resting heart rate exceeds 100 bpm, you should consult a doctor, as that would indicate tachycardia. During activity or when we get excited (such as during a doctor's visit) our oxygen needs increase. In order to meet those needs, our hearts beat faster, thus increasing the heart rate. This can result in a heart rate of well over one hundred beats per minute.
In some instances the pulse readings might be inaccurate. This happens when some heartbeats in people with arrhythmia do not have much cardiac output, are weak and not easily detected. The actual heart rate can be quite a bit higher than the pulse measurement would indicate.

flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2007, 05:39 AM   #3
(female)

Amy26 HB User

Hmm...thanks...guess that's not good then

Old 10-31-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Amy, a clarification: Resting heart rate means the rate at which your heart beats when you are AT REST. The information you gave referred to your heart rate when not at rest.
Our heart rate (normal 60-100 beats per minute) normally gets even higher when we are active. Take it when you wake up in the morning and before you start moving. That will be your resting heart rate.

flowergirl

Old 10-31-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
(female)

Amy26 HB User

Oh... well I was just standing up... would a pulse of 130 standing up be normal then?

Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Amy,

It is best to take your pulse when lying down upon awakening. This will be your resting pulse. Normal resting pulse is 70-80 heartbeats per minute for women. It can be lower, especially if you are in a great physical shape, or an athlete. It can run as low as 47-50 bpm and be considered normal resting blood pressure, depending on your circumstances.

A number of things affect your heart rate. Your age, sex, fitness level, any prescription drugs you might be on, genetic factors and anxiety all play a role.
I was on medication that was causing my heart to race, with resting blood pressure 110 beats a minute. Of course, once I got up and started moving, the heart beat much faster. It can get pretty scary. I had to get the meds straightened out.
You should mention your concerns to your doctor. He should be aware of these issues and is the one who'll decide on the course of action, if any. I wonder if your medication might be causing the increases. Some Benicar studies reported a very small percentage of adverse cardiological reactions, such as an increased heart beat (tachycardia) and chest pain in study participants.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:11 AM   #7
(female)

Amy26 HB User

Thanks for all the info. I was very concerned with all the side effects I saw from Benicar. My mother is very chemically sensitive and has a hard time taking medications... I'm wondering if I've inherited that from her. I've had nasty side effects from everything from birth control to Lipitor.

Closed Thread