It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
(male)

dmer HB User
How long for meds to take effect.

Would a Dr. be looking for a rapid drop to normal BP levels after prescribing and how long might a given therapy be followed before being changed.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: How long for meds to take effect.

It takes from 1 to 2 days in order for your high bp meds to work, but it reach its maximum effect in 1 week and some times it takes 2 weeks. They said that but I think it's only a week, not more than that.
Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Elevated blood pressure rarely requires emergency therapy, where a rapid drop in blood pressure is necessary. How high is your blood pressure? Unless you are a hypertensive emergency, your doctor does not expect a rapid drop. Those are achieved with antihypertensive agents administered intravenously in a clinical setting. The medications take some time to work. As stated in a previous post, it can take days or weeks for them to reach maximum effectiveness. One (I can't remember which one) becomes fully effective in about three weeks. So expect the best results within three weeks. If you don't reach your blood pressure target rate within this timeframe, it's time for a change in medication or a dosage adjustment.

There should be a notable reduction in blood pressure after a few doses of medication, regardless of the type of antihypertensives used. It can take months to find the ones that work best for you. Your doctor should check your progress within several weeks to make sure the medication is working. If the hypertension is severe and cardiovascular risk factors or end organ damage are present, more immediate results are needed. An agressive antihypertensive therapy must be started immediately. This usually includes several antihypertensives. In these circumstances the patient is closely supervised and the medications are adjusted daily, if needed.

flowergirl

Old 11-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Depends on the BP medication.

For instance, HCTZ takes about 6 weeks to reach full effect according to my Doctor.

I'm assuming 4 - 6 weeks for an ACE inhibitor like monopril to take full effect as my Doctor never wants to see me any sooner than one month after initiating or upping the dose of these meds.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
(male)

bl912 HB User

Great question and interesting information. Does the time matter if you're on a combo pill? That is, does it take longer to kick in or possibly faster? The doc put me on an ACE/diauretic combo yesterday. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Combo pills are convienent... but not necessary. The drug Manufacturers to this to extend their monopoly on their patents.

I take the same as you... but with two pills and probably a whole lot cheaper that way.

The two drugs do not interact so so there is no benefit in taking it as a combo other than for convienece.

Always give your BP meds 4-6 weeks to level off. They are not ment to be a fast acting med... they are maintenance drugs... for the long haul.

Best of luck.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:33 AM   #7
(male)

dmer HB User

Thanks for all of the very helpful replies.

Can Lotrel be "assembled" buy purchasing it's 2 components seaprately? Amlodipine and Benazerapil are very inexpensive at Costco. Is effect or efficacy reduced with the 2 pills?

Thanks

Old 11-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Doesn't Amlodipine give you a lot of weight gain and swelling of legs and feet...? It did for me. I won't ever use this medication again.

Unless you don't have a choice... I would blow off the Amlodipine. Ask your doctor about adding HCTZ to your ACE med (Benazerapil). They work very well together... and HCTZ is about $6 for 100, 25 mg tabs. I only need 12.5 mg, so I break them in half.

Best of luck.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
(male)

dmer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureMan View Post
Doesn't Amlodipine give you a lot of weight gain and swelling of legs and feet...? It did for me. I won't ever use this medication again.

Unless you don't have a choice... I would blow off the Amlodipine. Ask your doctor about adding HCTZ to your ACE med (Benazerapil). They work very well together... and HCTZ is about $6 for 100, 25 mg tabs. I only need 12.5 mg, so I break them in half.

Best of luck.
My experience with Lotrel is only about 2 weeks in total and thus far, such swelling hasn't manifested itself. I think that when Dr's encounter patients with quite elevated BP, for the first time, the conventional wisdom is to prescribe meds with a CCB or beta blocker as empirical treatment of underlying cardio conditions.

At my first and second visits, the Dr. checked me for fluid retention and said he didn't see any outward manifestations. He said that was one reason for not prescribing a diuretic (HCTZ is a diuretic?).

But you are definitely correct, diuretic therapy with a generic ACE i is relatively inexpensive.

Thanks for the comments and wishes.

Closed Thread