It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #1
(male)

jedzeppy HB User
How are these numbers?

Hello,

I have a home blood pressure monitoring device. At time my blood pressure is kind of high averaging about 140/80. A good portion of the time, when I'm exercising well, my numbers can get as low as 115/64. When I don't exercise, my numbers shoot up rather quickly, and I don't feel as well. I exercise most of the time, but sometimes my job gets in the way. Would you think that medication could help keep my numbers good at all times, or are my numbers not high enough to go on medication.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User
Re: How are these numbers?

BP should be taken after relaxing for 15 minutes.

I know my doctor wants my BP at 115 / 75.

Maybe a low dose of an ACE inhibitor like Monopril if you can't exercise. 140/80 is high.

Best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Let me tell you something, 140/80 without medication is better than 120/80 with medication. Because you have the chance to live without the side effects of the High BP medications. I have suffered from the side effects of the medications for years, and I know that you will not like it.

If your blood pressure is 140/80 without medication then you can do many things to lower it, and believe me you will.

In the days that you don't exercise try to do deep slow breathing work for 15 minutes twice daily, it's very effective. But I still prefer to exercise 3-4 times to have a stronger heart and body.
No smoking, no alcohol and no salt. That's the way we all should go
Good luck

Old 11-06-2007, 04:47 AM   #4
(male)

jedzeppy HB User

Thanks for the advice. What side effects have you had from the medication? Sometimes the cure is worse than the cause.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

I have tried 1 or more Med from most of the drug classes. beta-Blockers, ACEs, ARBs, CCBs and Diuretics. I have used Beta-Blockers for 3.5 years, Zebeta 5 mg, and it gave me hard times. I couldn't exercise because BBs slow your heart rate and you need high heart rate when you workout. I have had depression, vision problems and impaired concentration.

ACEs, ARBs and Diuretics made me feel like i'm half-dead half-alive guy . Sweating a lot, dizzy and tired all the time with my legs being very heavy to move. But they did bring my blood pressure to normal range. Though I couldn't use any of those.

Finally, I tried CCB. Now I'm on Diltiazem 120mg SR twice daily. No side effects at all and good blood pressure control as long as the weather is hot, it's very hot here in Egypt at summer. In winter I don't get that good control and my blood pressure is 140/100 all the time (for 4 months).

But I can't have a good life being on anything other than Diltiazem, I do help it to reduce my blood pressure by Cardio and weight exercises and no salt at all in my diet.
Good luck

Old 11-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Ca.Girl2 HB User

Anyway I vote give the exercise and no salt a chance. You've done it before you can do it again. Nothings easy and if it was just think what a boring world we would live in.

Good luck

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-07-2007 at 06:17 AM. Reason: do not discuss moderator decisions

Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes we must fight to lower this blood pressure . for me I fight the tasty fast food that I have always liked. I fight the pizza and finally I fight with my body while execising.

As long as the one have a strong heart and healthy, then Cardio exercises will be great to make a stronger heart which in turn lowers blood pressure.
Good Luck

Last edited by cartner; 11-06-2007 at 11:01 AM.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Michael,

I am glad you've finally found a medication that works for you. It takes time. I am surprised to hear it's a calcium channel blocker! This class of drugs has some of the worse side effects I and many others have experienced. It just goes to show how different we all are.

One should exhaust all options before starting antihypertensive therapy. Imagine having a treatment plan which includes taking a drug (even two) from each class of antihypertensives daily......Believe me, it takes months to learn how to live with the combined side effects. One makes adjustments and allowances accordingly. It isn't easy, but it can be done. Like you, I'd highly recommend adopting lifestyle changes to everyone with elevated blood pressure. Making healthier food choices, exercising and avoiding sodium laden food is absolutely essential for long term blood pressure management and reducing the risks of cardiovascular and other chronic diseases. One benefits greatly by making these changes whether or not they are sufficient to bring the blood pressure to optimal levels.

flowergirl

Old 11-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

flowergirl,

I paused my life for a year to find that medication, yes I know that CCBs are not the best drug class. But I learned that if an individual had bad side effects with ARBs and ACEs, then there is a good chance that he/she would do fine with CCBs.

Still in winter my blood pressure is always 140/100 . This year I'm going to workout very hard and see what would happen.

Closed Thread