It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User
Resperate

Well, I just special ordered the resperate device. I hope i'm not tossing $323 down the drain, but I was intrigued enough by the sell, that they sucked me in. If it works, $323 will seem a very small price to pay indeed for achieving "long lasting reductions in blood pressure" as they claim. At least they offer a money back guarantee. I will let you know how it works, or even if it works. Probably conquering my innate skepticism of it is the first step in actually making it work!

tamuprof45

Old 11-12-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: Resperate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamuprof45 View Post
Well, I just special ordered the resperate device. I hope i'm not tossing $323 down the drain, but I was intrigued enough by the sell, that they sucked me in. If it works, $323 will seem a very small price to pay indeed for achieving "long lasting reductions in blood pressure" as they claim. At least they offer a money back guarantee. I will let you know how it works, or even if it works. Probably conquering my innate skepticism of it is the first step in actually making it work!

tamuprof45
I have read an article about it, I think they call it biofeedback and yes it's good. We will be waiting to know how is going with you .
Good Luck,
Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

It's not biofeedback. I've tried biofeedback & Resparate. Good luck. Fam

Old 11-12-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
It's not biofeedback. I've tried biofeedback & Resparate. Good luck. Fam
Ok sorry, what was the effect of both on your blood pressure?
Michael

Last edited by cartner; 11-12-2007 at 09:55 AM.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

I'm at least a little optimistic as my blood vessels and arteries still appear to be in relatively good shape, flexible and such. If I can gain control over my brain/nervous system's impact on BP, I feel that that is more than half the battle.

tamuprof45

Old 11-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellabibat View Post
Ok sorry, what was the effect of both on your blood pressure?
Michael
Resparate gave me an increase in b/p plus moderate heart palpitations which is not usual for me. The company refunded my money except for the postage. A Dr. called asked about my experience with Resparate. She said some people do get heart palpitations while using Resparte. I found the music with the machine very depressing & dreary. I didn't have any trouble getting into the breathing mode.

Biofeedback didn't work either because I am on a huge dose of Lebetalol (an apha/beta blocker) which prevented the feedback mechanism from working. I think this method may have worked somewhat with me because I already had used Lamaze breathing for 5 pregnancies/labor successfully. My b/p has a strong genetic component & was quite high (200's/110-120)
so I couldn't go off the meds to try Biofeedback.

Biofeedback is definately worth the money. Insurance will pay sometimes. I had to pay out of pocket in order to go to the closest office.

Biofeedback teaches one to manage "cuff anxiety" or WC HBP.

Fam

Old 11-13-2007, 05:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Fam,

Thanks for sharing information with us, and I hope that you are feeling good.
Good luck,
Michael

Old 11-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

On the Resperate message board, the testimonials seem mixed but generally positive. It does seem that it has to be used a very specific way...LOTS of 'If it didn't work, you weren't using it right" answers from the company to people who said it didn't help.

Other than the high cost, I see no harm in trying though. But there is not much mention of it on this board, which gives me a little skepticism...I would think something so highly touted by doctors (apparently) might get more play.

Of course its true that the people who have success stories about BP are less likely to tout them then people who need help!

tamuprof45

Old 11-14-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

I have the resperate device and I would not be able to give it a glowing recommendation. The person's voice and the so called music is grating. I believe I saw on their site that there is a way to change the music /voice through some additional purchase. I need to check that out again and find out about the options.The use of the resperate sort of got me wired in a way. Because it has such an artificiality to it. By that I mean having your inhale/exhale controlled by a beep rather than your own relaxed breathing.Yet, I read that their studies verified its effectiveness. So- I guess it works but it seems unpleasant to use. I have felt more relaxed after using cd's by Martin Rossman MD for anxiety and stress. But those are more relaxation and visualizations not really the same thing at all.

Last edited by osteoblast; 11-14-2007 at 09:21 AM.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

Given my level of desperation at this point, I am perfectly willing to put up with a grating voice and music. It seems the harder I try and avoid meds, the faster my BP goes up leading to the inevitable meds.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

I tried dr.Andrew Weil 'The Master Key to Self Healing', it's a group of breathing exercises that relief stress and it also lower blood pressure. I haven't tried Resperate but I think it's similar to it. I will start using those exercises again but this time I will not wait for results, maybe after a year it will effect me.
Good luck,
Michael

Old 11-16-2007, 10:38 PM   #12
(female)

sheltie57 HB User
Smile Re: Resperate

I've recently started using the Breatheasy CDs. I have to admit, I was skeptical at first. I followed the instructions and was surprised to find that I went right to the third tract on the first CD. From the instructions, I understood that it should take 2 or 3 weeks to progress to the third track. I don't normally breath fast so I was convinced that these CDs wouldn't slow my breathing enough to make a difference. Talk about a non-believer, huh?

My blood pressure has been climbing for the past few years. I'm currently on 4 medications and my doctor is getting frustrated with me because many of the pills that she wants to treat me with have caused reactions that I just couldn't handle. I know that I have a bit of "white coat syndrome" so my readings were high when taken in her office but I also take them at home myself and they ran around 145 - 165. So I did some research and almost bought the Resperate for two people. I figured that it would be worth the money if it helped bring down my BP. <removed> I found the Breatheasy CDs. I figured I didn't have anything to lose since they offer a 6 month money back guarantee. And it was a whole bunch cheaper!!

Anyway, I've been using the CDs for about 4 weeks. I am seeing amazing results! My readings are almost always lower than 130/70. Which may still seem high to some people, but for me it's awesome! I try to use the CDs at least 4 or 5 times a week but all they suggest is 3 times a week.

I just wanted to share this in case anyone else was looking for an alternative to medications. I'm still pretty new on the program and I hope I continue to see such good results. I love the classical music which I've never liked before. But I don't really like the *****nt music CDs. I guess it's just a personal choice. I think it would be neat it they created some CDs with music from movies or broadway musicals.

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-16-2007 at 10:42 PM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Old 11-17-2007, 12:36 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

I can't tried those Breatheasy CDs, but I have tried dr.Andrew Weil 'The Master Key to Self Healing'. Last year I got a panic attack at 2-3 AM or so, and I had this CD but didn't use it before that time. I said it's time to see if this works or not, I took my blood pressure and it was around 140/100. The CD takes an hour which includes 8 breathing exercises, great music and medication along the way, spread over an hour. When I took my blood pressure after that hour it was down to something like 125/85 or so.

I know that this is great but as Dr.Andrew said, it will take months or even years to change your breathing patterns. This breath work controls Anxiety, Panic Attacks, Depression, High Blood Pressure and more. When I finished it I felt vey different and very great.

I think it's time to get this CD out of my library and start using it again.
One more thing, I also have used BrainSync technology's music. I felt so great too but because I used it in the wrong way, listening to it 3 or 4 hours daily, I got High Blood Pressure and headache from the Total Relaxation CD. The one should only use it for an hour daily. But it's one of the best things I have ever paid money for.
Michael

Last edited by cartner; 11-17-2007 at 12:37 AM.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:54 AM   #14
(male)

joe86 HB User
Re: Resperate vs Breatheasy

I tried Resperate and I did not like it. I agree with the comments about the "music". It's hopeless. After that I got the Breatheasy system and I've also had amazing results. It's been a good 18 months since I started. It brought down my bp in just a few weeks and in the time since then I only get rare spikes, and even these aren't much to worry about.

In fact, I rarely need to use the CDs anymore because after a while you learn the breathing pattern for yourself. That's one of the things I didn't like about the Resperate. They basically say you have to be tied to their machine for life. That's ridiculous. It doesn't take forever to learn the breathing method.

And this idea about changing your breathing - I think this is what Dr. Weil is all about - is also a bit odd to me. You have to go about your life and breathe without thinking about it and you breathe differently for different activities and situations. There is no one way to breathe.

With Breatheasy the target is just 15 minutes a day of a concentrated form of breathing that has a therapeutic effect. But I do think after using it for so long that it does make some permanent changes too.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:10 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Re: Resperate vs Breatheasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe86 View Post
I tried Resperate and I did not like it. I agree with the comments about the "music". It's hopeless. After that I got the Breatheasy system and I've also had amazing results. It's been a good 18 months since I started. It brought down my bp in just a few weeks and in the time since then I only get rare spikes, and even these aren't much to worry about.

In fact, I rarely need to use the CDs anymore because after a while you learn the breathing pattern for yourself. That's one of the things I didn't like about the Resperate. They basically say you have to be tied to their machine for life. That's ridiculous. It doesn't take forever to learn the breathing method.

And this idea about changing your breathing - I think this is what Dr. Weil is all about - is also a bit odd to me. You have to go about your life and breathe without thinking about it and you breathe differently for different activities and situations. There is no one way to breathe.

With Breatheasy the target is just 15 minutes a day of a concentrated form of breathing that has a therapeutic effect. But I do think after using it for so long that it does make some permanent changes too.
Dr.Andrew's exercises are done in an hour, if you are using the CD. After you understand and master the techniques you can do it without the CD, I think it wouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Yes the idea of changing your breathing pattern is a new thing, but believe me when I tell you that it's great. Many would stop using medications for Depression, Anxiety, Panic Attacks and High Blood Pressure if they can do it. It can take years but there is an immediate effect as you are using the CD.

Closed Thread