It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Salt substitute is safe?

Hi,

I wonder if Salt substitutes are safe? Are there different types?
Thanks,
Michael

Old 11-20-2007, 06:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Salt substitute is safe?

michaellabibat,

I know of potassium chloride (it replaces the sodium with potassium). Others can offer other suggestions.

One thing you might want to consider is cooking without adding any salt, using as many fresh or at least unsalted products as possible. Then keep a small salt shaker at the table and sprinkle a little on your food on your plate. You will taste the salt on the outside of the food as you take each bite, but you will not be getting all that salt which has been cooked into the center of the food. You will get the same enjoyment with far far far less salt.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

Potassium salt substitutes are safe...but not if you have kidney problems (I assume you don't?).

They taste a little "funny"...with an odd metallic bitterness at the end. Some people are bothered by this, and some are not. I use them with no problem.

tamuprof45

Old 11-20-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
(male)

dmer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheanna View Post
michaellabibat,

I know of potassium chloride (it replaces the sodium with potassium). Others can offer other suggestions.

One thing you might want to consider is cooking without adding any salt, using as many fresh or at least unsalted products as possible. Then keep a small salt shaker at the table and sprinkle a little on your food on your plate. You will taste the salt on the outside of the food as you take each bite, but you will not be getting all that salt which has been cooked into the center of the food. You will get the same enjoyment with far far far less salt.

--Rheanna
That's a good point. I bought a salt substitute (potassiunm chloride) and found it gave me all of the sensation of salt, except I can't use it because it conflicts with my BP med. I dispaired over this because I really like salt but discovered that after a week of cooking things without addiing salt, my sprinkle on the finished food amounted to far less than I'd previously consumed.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

I don't know about anyone else, but my doctor told me NO SALT SUBSTITUTES.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

I know that it depends on the medication you are on. I'm not sure exactly but the ARBs and ACEs are the ones that can't be taken with salt substitute? maybe some types of diuretics too? I'm not sure.
Michael

Last edited by cartner; 11-20-2007 at 03:03 PM.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I wonder how doctors tell that a patient is salt-sensitive? All of my doctors have told me to limit salt, but I have found out that salt neither effects my heart disease, or my blood pressure. In fact, the more salt I add to my diet, the better I feel.

What kind of a test determines if someone is salt-sensitive?

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

That is the million dollar question!!! I haven't found an answer yet. I once (before HBP & meds) went free for 8 wks & didn't see a change in my b/p.

My Dr. just goes by the blood sodium which I don't think is entirely accurate for the purpose of "salt sensitive."

Maybe someone has come up with an answer. The plus of being on a diuretic is I can have some salt which is necessary to prevent a low blood sodium. Fam

Old 11-20-2007, 09:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Determining salt sensitivity can be tricky. Various methods are being used to assess salt sensitivity. Most involve short term changes in sodium intake. The usual way of making this assessment is a dietary manipulation for two weeks. Blood pressure is compared after a week of low sodium intake to blood pressure after a week of high sodium intake under carefully controlled conditions.

There is another, shorter test that's frequently used. This one involves an infusion of a saline solution over four hours, followed by the administration of a diuretic and low salt diet the next day. The blood pressure is measured before, during and after this procedure. Salt sensitivity is determined from the BP measurements. It takes three days to complete.

Older people tend to be more salt sensitive. So do people with certain genetic factors, diabetes, renal disease and abnormalities of the RAS. All share two pathways to the salt sensitivity of blood pressure - loss of functional nephrons in the kidneys and/or reduced responsiveness of the renin-angiotensin system. (Even healthy people lose about 10% of nephrons after the age of 40 every ten years)
Salt-sensitive people are at greater risk for hypertensive target-organ damage. Most of us will never know whether we are salt-sensitive or not.

flowergirl

Old 11-20-2007, 09:08 PM   #10
(male)

dmer HB User

The comprehensive metabolic portion of my recent blood test showed a sodium level of "141". To the right, it shows the reference range is
135 - 146 mmol /L.

I take Lotrel and salt substitutes are prohibited but I don't know if it's because of the ACE or CCB portion of the drug.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:34 AM   #11
(male)

joe86 HB User

Why anyone would use a salt substitute, or anything-else-substitute is beyond me!

If you really think salt is the culprit just go without it (as an added food). But you may be operating on a misconception anyway...

The idea that salt, or sodium, raises blood pressure is a myth. It's not salt per se, but an imbalance of sodium, magnesium and potassium. Processed and junk food has a lot of salt and lacks the other two elements. So you get an imbalance.

But the answer is not to get paranoid about salt but to re-establish the balance. You do that by eating whole foods that contain natural amounts of sodium, magnesium and potassium.

You can also take a magnesium supplement. That's why magnesium is often claimed to help lower blood pressure. But you don't need massive amounts, just 300 or 400 mg. Magnesium also only helps for those who do have an imbalance. That's why it's only hit or miss as a blood pressure remedy.

This balance is probably also why Michael can get away with enjoying salt. If you have the balance right it won't bother your bp at all.

So get the diet right and enjoy salt again if you like it!

Old 11-21-2007, 02:58 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe86 View Post
Why anyone would use a salt substitute, or anything-else-substitute is beyond me!

If you really think salt is the culprit just go without it (as an added food). But you may be operating on a misconception anyway...

The idea that salt, or sodium, raises blood pressure is a myth. It's not salt per se, but an imbalance of sodium, magnesium and potassium. Processed and junk food has a lot of salt and lacks the other two elements. So you get an imbalance.

But the answer is not to get paranoid about salt but to re-establish the balance. You do that by eating whole foods that contain natural amounts of sodium, magnesium and potassium.

You can also take a magnesium supplement. That's why magnesium is often claimed to help lower blood pressure. But you don't need massive amounts, just 300 or 400 mg. Magnesium also only helps for those who do have an imbalance. That's why it's only hit or miss as a blood pressure remedy.

This balance is probably also why Michael can get away with enjoying salt. If you have the balance right it won't bother your bp at all.

So get the diet right and enjoy salt again if you like it!
You have made a great point, the balance between sodium, magnesium and potassium. I take 250mg of Magnesium supplements since 2005. But all my thinking was about fast food, I go and eat something like a Pizza then my blood pressure goes up. I will try to see if eating without salt, for a week, and eat with salt, for another week, would make in difference in my readings. For those 2 weeks all food will be cooked at home .

Now I'm known as cartner? how that happened?
Thank you all for your posts,
Michael

Old 11-21-2007, 03:02 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Determining salt sensitivity can be tricky. Various methods are being used to assess salt sensitivity. Most involve short term changes in sodium intake. The usual way of making this assessment is a dietary manipulation for two weeks. Blood pressure is compared after a week of low sodium intake to blood pressure after a week of high sodium intake under carefully controlled conditions.

There is another, shorter test that's frequently used. This one involves an infusion of a saline solution over four hours, followed by the administration of a diuretic and low salt diet the next day. The blood pressure is measured before, during and after this procedure. Salt sensitivity is determined from the BP measurements. It takes three days to complete.

Older people tend to be more salt sensitive. So do people with certain genetic factors, diabetes, renal disease and abnormalities of the RAS. All share two pathways to the salt sensitivity of blood pressure - loss of functional nephrons in the kidneys and/or reduced responsiveness of the renin-angiotensin system. (Even healthy people lose about 10% of nephrons after the age of 40 every ten years)
Salt-sensitive people are at greater risk for hypertensive target-organ damage. Most of us will never know whether we are salt-sensitive or not.

flowergirl
I really would like to know, how much time you spend reading about health and diet? it seems you know a lot .

I have taken a slow release tablet of Indapamide 1.5mg for 2 days, my blood perssure didn't change at all. Does this means that I'm not salt sensitive?
Thanks for help,
Michael

Old 11-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe86 View Post
The idea that salt, or sodium, raises blood pressure is a myth.
I agree. I was on a low salt diet for a long time, but still had to take several blood pressure medications, and still didn't have healthy blood pressure averages.

After YEARS of frustration and anxiety over my very unhealthy blood pressure averages, and after years of suffering from deteriorating health due to my worsening heart failure, it was only after I went on a healthy diet and made other healthy changes, that my average blood pressure reduced to the very healthy levels of the past couple of years. I've also greatly increased my salt intake over the past couple of years, with absolutely NO EFFECT on my blood pressure averages. And....... although I still have significant heart disease, my overall health has improved dramatically!

Plus...... Food tastes SO MUCH BETTER with salt!

I think that doctors use the "salt" myth, or "anxiety" myth, in order to avoid accountability for not being able to get their patient's high blood pressure under control.

There are very few hypertensive patients who have been able to reduce their nasty, chronically high and unhealthy blood pressure, through reducing salt in their diets.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-21-2007 at 08:17 AM.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:37 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Very true beerzoids, but how much Sodium should I be adding to the food? less than 2 grams?
Thanks,
Michael

Closed Thread