It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Green tea is a natural ACE inhibitor

Hi,

I know that many of you have heard about the effect of Green tea on blood pressure. I have also read that if you are on ACEs or BBs, among other drugs, you should avoid drinking Green tea because it will increase your blood pressure.

Has any of you had any experience with Green tea? what form works?
Thanks,
Michael

Old 11-22-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
(male)

dmer HB User
Unhappy Re: Green tea is a natural ACE inhibitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartner View Post
Hi,

I know that many of you have heard about the effect of Green tea on blood pressure. I have also read that if you are on ACEs or BBs, among other drugs, you should avoid drinking Green tea because it will increase your blood pressure.

Has any of you had any experience with Green tea? what form works?
Thanks,
Michael
I hope not because I'm drinking about 50-60oz's green tea per day, for the last several days and I take 40mg of ACE!

I don't drink it for any curative powers, just that I prefer it to coffee and soft drinks when the weather gets a little cooler.

Growing up in the UK, tea was a frequent daily drink. While it might have some beneficial properties, I've never bought into the larger claims about it. A number of tea drinking cultures don't have particularly good health credentials.

But if my BP takes another spike, it might be back to plain water.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2007, 06:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: Green tea is a natural ACE inhibitor

Drinking Green tea while being on propranolol or metoprolol increases blood pressure. Sorry about the mistake but I got confused between those and ACEs, but I hope that someone like FG, Fam or Beerzoids can tell us more about Green tea and ACEs interactions.
Michael

Old 11-22-2007, 06:45 AM   #4
(male)

marantz1935 HB User

I hope it's not true. I just started drinking green tea recently for it health benefits.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

I'm sorry, my mistake, the article was talking about Beta-Blockers like propranolol or metoprolol. There is nothing related to ACEs, sorry again.
Michael

Old 11-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

It has been shown by Dr. Hara that green tea catechins impede the action of ACE Inhibitors and supress the production of angiotensin II. Angiotensin II is the bad guy here. It is connected to hypertension and renal arterial stenosis. Dr. Hara's research indicates that daily consumption of green tea has the ability o prevent a rise in blood pressure.

I enjoy several cups of green tea daily. It has practically replaced the coffee I used to drink. I drink it for its many health benefits. It helps maintain healthy body weight by shifting metabolism to favor weight loss, improves cardiovascular health by reducing inflammation and improving blood vessel function, restricts a buildup of cholesterol, improves and maintains brain health. There are other benefits of drinking green tea I have not mentioned here.

One thing to watch for: people on anticoagulants (warfarin, Coumadin) should not drink too much green tea. It contains substantial amounts of vitamin K when taken in large amounts. Large amounts of green tea (.5 - 1 gallon or more) diminish the anticoagulants' effectiveness.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 11-22-2007 at 07:45 PM.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

Green tea is loaded with the amino acid theanine, which at least in rats lowers BP quite a lot. It is a natural anti-anxiety agent, and is believed to affect BP through the parasympatetic system.

tamuprof45

Old 11-23-2007, 12:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes, I started to drink it few days ago and I think I will do that for a long time.
Thanks for the information,
Michael

Closed Thread