It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #1
(male)

FRANKNZL HB User
Aspirin can raise blood pressure?

In an article on internet by Peter Lavelle, it is suggested that painkillers, even aspirin and paracetamol, can elevate blood pressure if taken continuously.

I had always thought that small daily doses of aspirin (say 125mg) help to reduce blood pressure because aspirin can thin the blood, thus making its passage through the arteries a little easier. However, the researchers thought that painkillers might cause the kidneys to retain salt or fluid, or that they may increase spasm in the arteries.

Has anyone talked to their Doctor about this research and stopped taking aspirin or painkillers as a result?

Regards, Frank

Last edited by moderator2; 11-28-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: Aspirin can raise blood pressure?

I've read that aspirin & similar pain killers do cause fluid retention which increases b/p. I wouldn't stop taking aspirin for prevention of heart attack or stroke however. I haven't heard that aspirin may cause "spasm" however. Dr. Oz here in the US says to take about 1/2 of a regular aspirin a day to prevent heart attacks, colon cancer & a few other diseases. While most other DR's just say to take about a 1/4 of a regular aspirin or 81mg.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
(male)

FRANKNZL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
I've read that aspirin & similar pain killers do cause fluid retention which increases b/p. I wouldn't stop taking aspirin for prevention of heart attack or stroke however. I haven't heard that aspirin may cause "spasm" however. Dr. Oz here in the US says to take about 1/2 of a regular aspirin a day to prevent heart attacks, colon cancer & a few other diseases. While most other DR's just say to take about a 1/4 of a regular aspirin or 81mg.
Thanks very much for your reply. I have seen one paper on internet by Abdallah A Alawe, MD which describes how a 68 year old Chinese male had multivessel coronary spasm triggered by aspirin. However, I have seen other papers which claim that, when taken during a heart attack, aspirin can significantly reduce the chance of death. I have taken a small dose of aspirin every day for 20 years or so, and it is only recently that my bp has gone up.

The researchers from Brighman and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, concluded that those who took aspirin had a 26 percent greater risk of developing hypertension than non users. This was after studying about 16,000 males with an average age of 65 with no history of hypertension.

Although this research is somewhat compelling, I am very hesitant to stop taking my small daily dose of aspirin, but I might do this for a few weeks and see if my BP comes down as a result.

Regards, Frank

Old 11-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Before you stop the aspirin, you might want to consider some research done about two yrs ago. The article said sudden withdrawal from aspirin which is done before some surgery, may trigger a heart attack or stroke. I know with other drug withdrawal the dose doesn't matter, rather it is the sudden withdrawal from a particular medication.

BTW I believe my husbands life was saved by aspirin. Five yrs ago he had a sudden heart attack. He took a whole aspirin before leaving for the hospital. He had a triple bypass. He hadn't been taking aspirin prior to the heart attack. Luckily, I was home cause he probably wouldn't have been able to find the aspirin bottle since I had in my kitchen drawer since I had been on mega doses of aspirin for thyroiditis. Fam

Old 11-30-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
(male)

FRANKNZL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
Before you stop the aspirin, you might want to consider some research done about two yrs ago. The article said sudden withdrawal from aspirin which is done before some surgery, may trigger a heart attack or stroke. I know with other drug withdrawal the dose doesn't matter, rather it is the sudden withdrawal from a particular medication.

BTW I believe my husbands life was saved by aspirin. Five yrs ago he had a sudden heart attack. He took a whole aspirin before leaving for the hospital. He had a triple bypass. He hadn't been taking aspirin prior to the heart attack. Luckily, I was home cause he probably wouldn't have been able to find the aspirin bottle since I had in my kitchen drawer since I had been on mega doses of aspirin for thyroiditis. Fam
Yes, thanks a lot, a gradual reduction would be better than a sudden withdrawal. And it should be done with the blessing and supervision of your Doctor.

Do you think your mega doses of aspirin might have raised your BP?

Incidentally, the research reference in my previous post should have been to "Brigham and Women's Hospital".

Regards, Frank

Old 12-01-2007, 06:13 AM   #6
(male)

joe86 HB User

It seems that aspirin can increase bp in some cases. There's a lot of conflicting evidence but enough question that it would be wise to withdraw from it gradually.

And it's important to point out that ibuprofen can also increase bp, and this is much better understood. Lots of people take large quanitities of ibuprofen and other NSAIDs for arthritis.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:10 AM   #7
(male)

FRANKNZL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe86 View Post
It seems that aspirin can increase bp in some cases. There's a lot of conflicting evidence but enough question that it would be wise to withdraw from it gradually.

And it's important to point out that ibuprofen can also increase bp, and this is much better understood. Lots of people take large quanitities of ibuprofen and other NSAIDs for arthritis.
Thanks Joe for this advice. I also suspect that aspirin might make my tinnitus worse, another reason to consider gradually coming off regular doses of aspirin. However, I still feel that regular small doses of aspirin may have contributed to my mainly good health over the last 20 years. But if aspirin really can increase bp, I will need to go light on aspirin next time I get a solid cold or flu!

Regards, Frank

Closed Thread