It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 05:32 AM   #1
(female)

jeni304 HB User
Can a double dose of blood pressure med hurt

Can a double dose of blood pressure med hurt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Can a double dose of blood pressure med hurt

You bet it can...and under certain conditons it could directly or indirectly kill.

Bethsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Is there a way to prevent an accidental double-dosing? It seems that more and more often I forget whether or not I took my meds. If unsure, I just don't take them. This could be just as dangerous for me though as taking them twice. Those pill boxes labeled with the days of the week won't work for me. (I have two of them and can't use them).

flowergirl

Old 12-20-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Beth is right on target, you could be DOD at the ER especially with some of the more potent b/p meds such as lebatalol & clonidine. In fact my Dr. was really cautious RX them. She had me call her a few times to see what my reactions to the drugs were. Also we started with a small dose. Since I was very hyperthyroid at the time, she made sure that my head was clear enough to keep track of the meds.

So it depends on the particular med & whether or not it is taken with food which will slow the rate of absorption.

Since I had very limited experience taking meds on a regular basis, it was difficult getting used to having to eat (I have to take food with my meds) & take meds. One night when I was on Inderal, I was so tired & completely forgot to take it. I woke up & was in a panic like you wouldn't believe!!!!

So what I did was get a sheet of paper & put it on my counter so I could check off each med as I took it. I don't like the pill boxes either because my damaged fingers (from Cozaar) just make it took difficult to retreive the pills plus I don't like the meds all together. I think the meds retain their potency better if they are in a regular pill bottle so I keep one bottle as a stock bottle & have one for a week's worth of pills. That way you aren't exposing the whole batch of pills (90 days worth) to the air everyday. I want my money's worth from the meds & I don't want to take meds that may not be full strength.

Can you tell how much I dislike taking meds? Oh, for the carefree days when I could sometimes sleep to noon without a concern in the world that I had to get up & take my b/p & meds. Fam

Old 12-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Hi,

Is there a way to prevent an accidental double-dosing? It seems that more and more often I forget whether or not I took my meds. If unsure, I just don't take them. This could be just as dangerous for me though as taking them twice. Those pill boxes labeled with the days of the week won't work for me. (I have two of them and can't use them).

flowergirl
Hi flowergirl,

I accidentally took a double dose...and I used the pill boxes, too. My bp med was the same color and shape as my vitamin pill...and it wasn't until after I swallowed two bp pills that I realized that the vitamin and bp pills were different SIZES. Under normal circumstances I would have caught this before popping the pills in my mouth but this was when I was experiencing extreme fatigue and brain fog.

As for the containers, why can't you use them? I have found over the years that there are many, many, many different varieties but one has to look to see what works for them.

Bethsheba

PS I still remember the look on my doctor's face when I told him I accidentally took a double dose...that should have been a clue that something was very wrong...but no one was paying attention, or asking the right questions, and I was too far gone at that time to ask for help.

Last edited by bethsheba; 12-20-2007 at 05:03 PM.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
...So it depends on the particular med & whether or not it is taken with food which will slow the rate of absorption.

Since I had very limited experience taking meds on a regular basis, it was difficult getting used to having to eat (I have to take food with my meds) & take meds. One night when I was on Inderal, I was so tired & completely forgot to take it. I woke up & was in a panic like you wouldn't believe!!!!

So what I did was get a sheet of paper & put it on my counter so I could check off each med as I took it. I don't like the pill boxes either because my damaged fingers (from Cozaar) just make it took difficult to retreive the pills plus I don't like the meds all together. I think the meds retain their potency better if they are in a regular pill bottle so I keep one bottle as a stock bottle & have one for a week's worth of pills. That way you aren't exposing the whole batch of pills (90 days worth) to the air everyday. I want my money's worth from the meds & I don't want to take meds that may not be full strength.... Fam
A number of very good points, fam, but these in particular!

I might add that the very worst place to keep your meds is in the bathroom medicine cabinet where it's warm and moist. For the most part, meds are best kept cool and dry.

Bethsheba

Old 12-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Beth,
Quote:
As for the containers, why can't you use them? I have found over the years that there are many, many, many different varieties but one has to look to see what works for them.
I can't use them because they are too small. Using two of them would be too complicated and somewhat extreme. Perhaps there are bigger ones available, I haven't really looked. Well, I did while waiting at the pharmacy yesterday to pick up my meds. I checked out the sizes available. The ones that have each of the days' meds divided into an a.m. and p.m. batch looked like a possibility. I take most of my meds in the mornings and only 4 at night so my morning meds might not fit into the slots provided. I don't really like thinking about it because it's depressing. Fam is right, they should remain in their original containers to preserve their potency.
Thanks for sharing your accidental overdose story. Medication can be dangerous and do harm even when taken precisely as prescribed. I am glad your story had a good ending!

flowergirl

Old 12-23-2007, 06:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
... Fam is right, they should remain in their original containers to preserve their potency.
Thanks for sharing your accidental overdose story. Medication can be dangerous and do harm even when taken precisely as prescribed. I am glad your story had a good ending!

flowergirl
Yes, famnd is right...ideally the meds should remain in their original containers...but one has to weigh the pros and cons...so some people may need to use the containers or some other system so they can take the right pills in a timely manner.

Flowergirl, there are lots and lots of pill boxes out there...some come as big as 9x11...and one wouldn't have to purchase a pill box (I personally found them difficult to open when I was taking meds)...you might be able to develop a different system with some tight, easy to open containers that you have at home. There are many people who are physically and/or mentally challenged that find systems that work for them so do keep looking. I'm sure you'll come up with something that works for you.

Thanks for your kind words about my overdose story...I'm generally a very concientious, cautious person and this scared me big time...but from what I've read, it happens alot.

Bethsheba

Old 12-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Beth,

thanks for your comment. As you might have noticed, I don't like pillboxes of any kind. When I travel, I use the snack-size ziploc bags which are perfect for my needs.

I noticed some advertising in at least one pharmacy...they will make blister packs of pills to order. I don't like the idea at all. What happens if there's an increase in dosage or an addition to one's medication? It will be great for the elderly and people with arthritis - think of all those bottle caps (childproof, no less) we have to tackle daily.
I agree that the pillboxes are great for some people, especially those with cognitive issues. I still wonder which is safer: to take the medications or not when unsure? I think it might be safer not to take them. I hope I'd get a warning about a rising blood pressure and that I would notice getting dizzy and lightheaded. I sometimes feel like that anyway. Also, I usually get a headache when my blood pressure reaches or exceeds a certain level. What would you do, Beth? I really don't know what is the right thing to do.

flowergirl

Old 12-23-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
...thanks for your comment. As you might have noticed, I don't like pillboxes of any kind. When I travel, I use the snack-size ziploc bags which are perfect for my needs.
Flowergirl, that's a fantastic idea!!! Water tight and some of the bags you could write date, time, whatever. Compact....you need to get a patent. I'm going to move my critters meds to zip locks as I, too, do not like the pill boxes (well maybe the pretty ones but they aren't functional, ).

Quote:
..I noticed some advertising in at least one pharmacy...they will make blister packs of pills to order. I don't like the idea at all. What happens if there's an increase in dosage or an addition to one's medication? It will be great for the elderly and people with arthritis - think of all those bottle caps (childproof, no less) we have to tackle daily.
Yes, the blister packs are for people with non changing medications, not like those of us who are on them for a few days before the dosage is changed/eliminated.

Quote:
...I still wonder which is safer: to take the medications or not when unsure? I think it might be safer not to take them.
As to which is safer...it depends on the medication. Some, it's better to skip the dose...others it's best to take it as soon as one remembers. But this information should be on your package insert or your pharmacist information sheet. Don't guess, flowergirl. If you can't find the info, at least call your pharmacist as they should be able to tell you also. Remember what we were saying about an overdose? About beta blocker withdrawal? And those are the ones we know about...

Must get back to your other post on betas as it was packed with info and I must read it again. It may take me awhile to respond (it takes me time to think sometimes) but let me thank you in advance for sharing the results of your research...ah, we learn so much from each other!

Take care, Flowergirl. Hope you are able to spend time with your loved ones, and hope that you'll be surrounded by everything and everyone that is important to you. Peace, love, faith, and good health to you and your family.

Bethsheba

Old 12-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

My pharmacist printouts usually say whether to take the med or not if one forgets. Even antibiotics have a time span between doses which a lot of people don't know.

With b/p meds, when there is a question of not taking the med, then it is important to monitor the b/p.

I had a problem with my husband talking to me etc as I was pouring out my pills particularly in the am. Since I have 7 1/2 pills to take, I would get mixed up & wonder if I had put the required amount in water to dilute them. There have been times that I have had to throw out the medicine cup of pills & water & start over again. I hate to waste but with my b/p I couldn't take a chance. Fam

Closed Thread