It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2007, 05:06 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Ringing In Ears and Blood Pressure Meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chablis3 View Post
... Hummm, does b/p meds make a person gain weight also?? No wonder I can't seem to loose any weight! No matter how I try, I can't seem to loose a pound...
Yes, bp meds can cause weight gain, a side effect they don't like to talk about because weight gain elevates bp. I have read that beta blockers in particular slow the heart and therefore slow the metabolism so even if you eat the same foods and maintain the same activity levels, you will gain weight. The muscle aches, pains, and stiffness that many bp meds cause also can interfer with activity levels which, of course, can lead to weight gain. I believe another reason for weight gain and bp meds is fatgue....if you experience this as a side effect (it's a common one among bp meds) you don't have the energy to prepare healthy meals or the energy to exercise regularly...therefore, weight gain. But just for your info, the only explanation of weight gain as a side effect of bp meds I've seen in the literature, is the slowed metabolism effect of the beta blockers. The reduced activity due to aches and pains, and fatigue is from my personal experience.

The good news is, as of today I have lost more than 24 pounds since January by switching to skim milk, and eating more fruits and vegetables...no, I don't measure portions, and no, I don't exercise (but I'm going to start). Although slow, my weight loss came about as a result of just being able to do my activities of daily living once again. Oh, and fyi, I weighed 191 pounds went I went on hydrochlorothiazide but I stopped weighing myself when I weighed 224 pounds. I suspect that I may have passed the 230 mark but I can't be sure. But the 24 pound weight loss is definite.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Gees, you have tried 5 medications; wow, and none of them agreed with you? I am assuming your not taking anything now??
Yes, I was on hydrochlorothiazde, lisinopril, benicar/hct, atenolol, and amlodipine (norvasc)...but only one med at a time so looking BACK, it was easy to see what side effects the drug was causing. Believe it or not, each med I took had fewer side effects than the one before it, but given the side effects I experienced, that's not saying much.

No, I stopped taking the amlodipine at the end of May, without my doctor's knowledge or consent. I read daily about high blood pressure, and in my months of reading have come to the conclusion that I shouldn't have been prescribed medication in the first place. I need to post that story another time...

But I want you to know that I recognize the fact that many people DO need to be on meds to control their bp...it's just that they need to know what to look for in terms of side effects so they can find a medication that works for them and do so without endangering their present health.

Hope your holidays are special and blessed with much love and peace and good health.

Bethsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2007, 05:24 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marantz1935 View Post
..I read elsewhere that beta blockers are being phased out in the UK. I also understand they were never intended for people with HBP. Originally, they were for patients with heart problems. I read a post from a caridologist and she advised to steer clear of BB's and to get a more appropriate medication for HBP. She reckons beta blockers actually increase systolic levels! I don't know how true this is, but that's what I'm reading on-line...
Marantz, interesting, very interesting. Do let us know if you learn anything further! That cardiologist is a brave one and I would be interested in knowing more what she has to say.

Quote:
...Beth, I too was on Atenolol for a month and was pulled off them by my GP to see how I'd get on otherwise. I get a massive pain in my chest two days later. It only lasted a few minutes, but it was the worst I ever had. That's the kind of doctor I have. After I went back another month later my BP had shot up even higher. Would that have been caused by rebound hypertension?...
Wow, didn't your doctor have you slowly reduce the amount of medication you were taking? You may have been lucky to "only" have the angina...it could have been worse.

As for the rebound hypertension question, I really don't know. There's not a lot of info out there about rebound hypertension...I think it's like weight gain...they just don't want you to know that some of these meds can make your condition worse (although they say that on the package inserts--they just don't specify "how").

I think I experienced rebound because abrupt withdrawal from beta blockers can cause it (per the literature)...and because my bp after discoing atenolol and before going on norvasc was higher than my bp was after being off norvasc for 4-6 weeks...now it's possible that increased activity levels and increased potassium levels would have been enough to drop the pressures...and it might have been a combintation of all three. I guess I won't know...but I would certainly question any pressures taken after going off of medication.

Oh, and there is an effect where antihyperintensive medication can actually elevate blood pressure, or make your blood pressure rise. Again, I haven't seen much literature on this, but there is some.

Do keep us current as to what's happening in your health care arena...unfortunately, the drug companies control our health care system and not everything is done in the patients' best interest here.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 12-23-2007 at 05:24 AM.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #18
(male)

marantz1935 HB User

No problem Beth with the information on beta blockers. It's a pity I can't cite my sources.

I didn't know that pain I had in my chest following my abrupt withdrawal from Atenolol was actually angina.

I'm not sure what the system is here in Ireland as regards drug companies and doctors, but I might just look into it. In fairness to my GP, he dosen't tend to push medicines on his patients generally - at least that's my familys experience with him.

Regards,

Marantz.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:17 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marantz1935 View Post
No problem Beth with the information on beta blockers. It's a pity I can't cite my sources.
Not a problem...when I know something exists, I can usually find it.

Quote:
..I didn't know that pain I had in my chest following my abrupt withdrawal from Atenolol was actually angina.
I'm not a doctor so I don't know that your chest pain is actually angina...it's just angina is listed as a symptom of abrupt withdrawal of a beta blocker and
from what I understand when you stop a beta blocker quickly, sometimes the blood flow to the heart is slowed down, and that means that oxygen isn't get to the heart fast enough, resulting in pain. It usually takes place within one or two days after withdrawal, is only temporary and doesn't permently damage the heart...but this may not apply to someone with a heart problem.

Quote:
...I'm not sure what the system is here in Ireland as regards drug companies and doctors, but I might just look into it. In fairness to my GP, he dosen't tend to push medicines on his patients generally - at least that's my familys experience with him.
Well, I've been told that there are 2 drug reps for every doctor in our area so the docs are getting alot of one sided info...and I think they listen more closely to the reps than they do their own patients. Some health care systems are addressing this problem and will no longer let the reps give benefits... gifts to health care workers in the form of dinners to fine restaurants, gift certificates for massages, vacation packages, golf weekends, electronic gadgets, mugs, notepads, you name its. Unfortunately, we have a society that is motivated by competition (which is perpetuated by the sports industry) and material things instead of empathy, compassion, cooperation and collaboration, and common sense.

Hope you'll be enjoying the holidays...take care and may peace and love be your constant companions.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 12-23-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:58 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Marantz,

Quote:
I don't know if all BB's are the same. I imagine they are though. I read elsewhere that beta blockers are being phased out in the UK. I also understand they were never intended for people with HBP.
You are well informed, Marantz.

There were two studies done in the last few years comparing the effectiveness of antihypertensive drugs. Both the LIFE study and the ASCOT study showed the superiority of an ARB and a CCB over a therapy with a beta blocker. Their conclusion was that the beta blockers were inferior to other agents in stroke prevention, but NOT in prevention of a MI and reduction in mortality.
As a result, the NICE -National Institute for Health Excellence- in UK advised the use of beta blockers only as a fourth line antihypertensive agents.
An update was issued by the British Hypertension Society to the Hypertension treatment guidelines based on this recommendation. I remember mentioning this update briefly in one of my posts about beta blockers in the past. I think a similar update regarding the use of beta blockers was issued here in Canada. I have yet to check our Hypertension treatment guidelines for that update. Thanks for reminding me - I need to do this. I will also check my sources for any information about the beta blockers causing increases in systolic blood pressure in some people. If I find anything, I'll post.

P.S.
Beta blockers are not all the same! There are many differences in how they work and in the degree of their selectivity as well as the side effects. There is a new one just out (it is new here - not so new in Europe) that has certain advantages over the other beta blockers.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 12-23-2007 at 02:59 PM.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:36 AM   #21
(male)

marantz1935 HB User

Thanks Beth,

The description of my chest pain is bang on, so I'd wager is was something serious enough to cause me such pain. I don't think I ever experienced anything like it. I hope you and yours have a wonderful christmas also.

Thanks for your kinds words FG. The info I get is just bits and pieces from forums, sites etc. I tend to try to gather as much general information as I can about things that concern me. I stand corrected about thinking all BB's might be the same. I kinda suspected they wern't alright. I hope you have a nice christmas FG.

Regards,

Marantz.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #22
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi Everyone! It's finally quiet around here! Hope you all had a good Christmas. I just finished reading the latest posts! Flowergirl, now I remember what test I was supposed to have. It was indeed that heart test where they put the dye into you and then monitor you. Well, I didn't go; I got too nervous about it and cancelled it! I did, however, have another EKG about a month ago, and it was ok, so I am just going to forget that test for now. And yes, I agree with you, I think doctors do jump the gun when it comes to putting people on b/p meds. I have to admit the Atenolol did bring mine down some, but I don't think I really needed it in the first place.

Bethsheba, your advice on the b/p meds and weight gain really has me thinking. Even though I do eat the same, or even if I try dieting, I stay the same. I am active, although I don't do exercises like I used to because of my back problem. But, I am not a couch potato either. I am up to around 185 now, and used to range around 155 or so. Even in the summer when I can get in my pool and do some water exercises, I still can't lose any weight. So, yep, I bet it is the Atenolol. What a terrible drug! I want off of it.

Marantz, that terrible pain you had in your chest had to be very scary. I know it is dangerous to go off a b/p med cold turkey, so I bet that is what caused the pain. Thank goodness your ok. Hope you get checked out to make sure nothing else is wrong.

I don't want to make this real long, but wanted to say all the posts were very good reading. Thanks, all, and take care.

Judy

Closed Thread