It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User
Ringing In Ears and Blood Pressure Meds

I have been having a ringing/buzzing sound in my ears for awhile now, and am curious to know if anyone else has developed this since being on B/P meds. I know there are a lot of drugs out there that are considered "ototoxic" and wondering if Atenolol is under this classification. I also have very bad discs in my neck, and am trying to find out if it is my neck or the meds that might be causing it. As I started taking the meds around the same time I developed the neck problem, I can't pin point the cause. I haven't talked to my doc yet about this yet, but plan to. Anyone else experiencing this. or any comments on it?

Thanks,
Judy

Old 12-19-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: Ringing In Ears and Blood Pressure Meds

Have you checked with the FDA under drug side effects? That's another reference for drug side effects. I usually called the drug manufacturer too. Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2007, 03:08 AM   #3
(male)

marantz1935 HB User

Hi,

I was having 'ringing in my ears' before I went to my GP and I still have it despite being on Atenolol for HBP. I read recently read on-line that Tinitus, in seventy percent of cases, is cause by an increase in adrenaline in the body. I understand it's more common in people who are anxious or stressed. It seems to very common in any event.

Recently, I have been getting a sensation of pressure in my right ear along with the ringing.

Regards,

Marantz.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marantz1935 View Post
Hi,

I was having 'ringing in my ears' before I went to my GP and I still have it despite being on Atenolol for HBP. I read recently read on-line that Tinitus, in seventy percent of cases, is cause by an increase in adrenaline in the body. I understand it's more common in people who are anxious or stressed. It seems to very common in any event.....

Marantz.
Marantz, just fyi, a side effect of atenolol is tinnitus so if you had tinnitus before going on bp meds, your tinnitus may be aggravated by the med.

Thanks for the insight as to the connection between adrenaline and tinnitus...I will investigate that further. As a musician, I blamed my tinnitus on unprotected hearing but maybe it isn't that afterall.

Bethsheba

Old 12-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chablis3 View Post
... I know there are a lot of drugs out there that are considered "ototoxic" and wondering if Atenolol is under this classification. I also have very bad discs in my neck, and am trying to find out if it is my neck or the meds that might be causing it. As I started taking the meds around the same time I developed the neck problem, I can't pin point the cause. I haven't talked to my doc yet about this yet, but plan to. Anyone else experiencing this. or any comments on it?

Thanks,
Judy
Judy, one of the side effects of atenolol is tinnitus so if you're taking it, it may be causing the problem. As I posted on your thread about bruising, diuretics and beta blockers can cause tinnitus but I'm sure there are more...it's just those are the ones I remember.

As far as the neck problem goes, I suspect meds. Numerous bp meds cause aches and pains, from minor to immobilizing. I don't remember muscle or bone pain when I was on the atenolol, but everything slowed down for me---typing, walking, anything that required mobility. Have you experienced anything similar? I ask because looking back I can remember typing and thinking that I could type faster than I was typing but for whatever the reason couldn't coordinate myself well enough to function....thus 4 falls, one of which landed me in the er on Christmas Eve day. I mention this because again, sometimes we don't see these things until we've discontinued the medication.

Bethsheba

Old 12-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Thanks for the replies! I haven't checked with the FDA, and did not do any research so far on the Atenolol causing the tinnitus, but, thanks, Bethsheba, for letting me know that is probably what is causing it. I think I can rule out my neck as the culpert because I do know for sure that I have a disc problem, and I am not on any other meds other than taking an ibuprofin now and then. With the bruising and the ringing in ears, I am now convinced it must be the Atenolol. I haven't noticed any slowing down per say, but I do have occasional cramps and soreness in the calfs of my legs. The Atenolol is actually working as to lowering my B/P, but I don't think I want to put up with these side effects anymore. Time for me to go talk to my do about a possible change in meds. What are you taking now, Bethsheba, and do you feel better on a different med?
You may have mentioned it to me on the bruising post, but I can't recall just now.

Marantz, yes, tinnitus is quite common, and it is so annoying, especially at night when your trying to sleep. I have my tv playing all night long just to concentrate on the noise from the tv, instead of the buzzing in my head! I don't have any pressure; just the aggrevating noise!

Again, thanks, and I will post again after I talk to my doctor!

Judy

Y

Old 12-21-2007, 12:47 AM   #7
(male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
Marantz, just fyi, a side effect of atenolol is tinnitus so if you had tinnitus before going on bp meds, your tinnitus may be aggravated by the med.

Thanks for the insight as to the connection between adrenaline and tinnitus...I will investigate that further. As a musician, I blamed my tinnitus on unprotected hearing but maybe it isn't that afterall.

Bethsheba
No problem Beth. Thanks for the information about Atenolol and Tinitus as well. It would explain why it hasn't gone away.

Judy, good luck with next visit to doctors. I'm sorry to hear you Tinitus problem is giving you so much trouble, especially at night. At least we know now that Atenolol is not helping matters.

P.S., just back from visiting another forum, and the guy is asking more-or-less the same question about the relation between HBP and Tinitus.

Marantz.

Last edited by marantz1935; 12-21-2007 at 02:08 AM.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi, I went to have my eyes examined last night (for new glasses), and in talking to the doctor, I asked him if he was, by chance, familiar with ototoxic drugs. He said yes, and in the course of our talk, he said high blood pressure can also affect a person't eyesight, and some of the meds can indeed cause ringing in the ears. I would like to just stop taking the Atenolol now since I know all this, but I know I can''t do that....but, boy, I sure feel like doing so!!

Thanks, Marantz, I am going to see my doctor after the holidays, definitely. I just wonder, though, even if my meds are changed, if I go on the same class of drugs, won't it do the same thing? I know there is one called a beta blocker, and I forget what the other one is called, but I bet even another kind has its side effects also. So, it's a really hard challenge to find the right one as far as I can see. I don't like to mess around with all different kinds of meds, but I guess I will have to if I want to solve my problem.

Hope your feeling ok, and take care.

Judy

Old 12-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Judy,

It's good to see you back on the boards!

Quote:
I know there is one called a beta blocker, and I forget what the other one is called, but I bet even another kind has its side effects also.
There is a brand new beta blocker out with very few side effects. It should be available in early January 2008. (See my thread "New blood pressure medication"). I hope it is as good as they claim. Compared to other beta blockers, this one does not have many side effects. The side effects experienced by the participants in the clinical trials were light. (Headache, dizziness). You should find out more about it. Did you go ahead with your cath?

flowergirl

Old 12-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
...I haven't checked with the FDA, and did not do any research so far on the Atenolol causing the tinnitus, but, thanks, Bethsheba, for letting me know that is probably what is causing it....

The Atenolol is actually working as to lowering my B/P, but I don't think I want to put up with these side effects anymore. Time for me to go talk to my do about a possible change in meds. What are you taking now, Bethsheba, and do you feel better on a different med?
You may have mentioned it to me on the bruising post, but I can't recall just now....
Judy, when researching the side effects (tinnitus or whatever) check with more than one source. Unfortunately, too many doctors and patients don't recognize the side effects, much less report them to the FDA.

I was only on the atenolol about 4 weeks when I stopped taking it cold turkey. The side effects I experienced were life threatening (I experienced 4 very serious falls in one week and then I began to have suicidal thoughts which were new to me). This med scared me so much that I did not return to the doctor until my bp shot up to 160/90 something. I have since learned that abrupt withdrawal of a beta blocker (atenolol) can cause rebound hypertension and I believe this is what I was experiencing.

DO NOT STOP THIS MEDICATION WITHOUT TAPERING/WEANING OFF with your doctor's/pharmacist's guidance. Doing so could cause angina, a heart attack, rebound hypertension, or cause other problems. I was "lucky" because I was on a small dose and I had no known/unknown heart problems.

After atenolol, I went on Norvasc, which is the 5th drug I tried. I experienced flushing, and flatulence (gas) which I could live with, albeit, with some embarrassment. But I started waking up at midnight and three every night and my sleep was so badly disturbed, I stopped taking it. It took several weeks for my sleep to return to normal but when it did my pressuress went down to the normal/prehypertension stage. I have since lost the 25-30 pounds of weight I gained on bp medication (I dropped 10 pounds the first week off of atenolol just because I could MOVE again).

I still have another 10 bp med pounds to lose, but when I do I expect I will regularly fall into normal pressures. But only time will tell.

Bethsheba

Old 12-22-2007, 10:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi, I went to have my eyes examined last night (for new glasses), and in talking to the doctor, I asked him if he was, by chance, familiar with ototoxic drugs. He said yes, and in the course of our talk, he said high blood pressure can also affect a person't eyesight, and some of the meds can indeed cause ringing in the ears. ...Hope your feeling ok, and take care.

Judy
Judy,

You've got an excellent eye doctor (opthamologist? optometrist?) and he or she is a keeper!!!

I went through 3 prescriptions in three years only to discover (after that final atenolol fall on my face that landed me in the er) that I could see perfectly with my pre high blood pressure glasses. My physician, my optometrist, the er doctor, and the er ophthamologist all denied that bp medication was causing the changes in my vision. I have since read otherwise. Blurred vision is listed as a symptom of overdose or as a side effect for a number of bp medications!! I could have save myself over $1000.00 out of pocket had I known that! But again, those doctors don't know everything and one has to take an active role in one's health care.

Bethsheba

Old 12-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Bethsheba, Yes, I thought the eye doc was very nice in taking the time to talk to me about the blood pressure meds, and this is the first time I had gone to him. My goodness, you sure had a terrible experience when you were on the Atenolol. Sorry to hear you had all that trouble. Hummm, does b/p meds make a person gain weight also?? No wonder I can't seem to loose any weight! No matter how I try, I can't seem to loose a pound. Gees, you have tried 5 medications; wow, and none of them agreed with you? I am assuming your not taking anything now?? No, I will not stop taking the med cold turkey; I am scared to do that since I have been on it for well over a year now. I will talk to my doc first and then gradually wean off it. Maybe then I can loose a bit of weight! Thanks, Betsheba, and glad your doing better. I will see you after the holidays, and hope you and family have a wonderful one!

Judy

Old 12-22-2007, 02:12 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi Flowergirl, I did read your other post concerning the new blood pressure med and I responded to it, hope you caught my reponse. You know, I am beginning to think I just want to get off the Atenolol, and take nothing at all for awhile, and see what happens. My b/p ranges around 135/80ish most of the time, and I think that isn't too bad. I know the doctors would prefer it lower, but when I went to a Rheumotoligist doc a few months ago, he told me he thought those numbers were excellent. I was happy to hear that from him! I also had a pharmacist tell me one time that the doctors make too much out of blood pressure numbers these days...like for people in the 150/80ish range, which is what mine was when I was put on the pills. He said the doctors want to help the drug companies sell the meds. Don't know how true this is, though. I know real high numbers are, of course, dangerous, but I have to wonder about my range. I am not sure what you meant when you asked if I went ahead with my cath? You'll have to refresh my memory on that!

Thanks for your nice words as to being back on the boards, and I will post again after the holidays. Meantime, my best to you and family for a wonderful holiday. Take care!

Judy

Old 12-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Happy Holidays to you, Judy!

I think your rheumatologist is right on! Your blood pressure does not need to be treated with medication. It is very good. I don't think you should be on medication unless you are at a high risk of CVD.

I have a new drug book. I did a little bit of reading while sipping my morning coffee before going to work. In the blood pressure chapter was a caption "When should the doctors medicate?" Several case studies were provided and analyzed. Interestingly, some older patients are considered fine and in no need of antihypertensive therapy with their systolic blood pressure in the 150-160 range. They have to be in an otherwise good health and with no risk factors of a cardiovascular disease. Such people might not be better off taking the medication and suffering the side effects, given their low risk of CVD. It was also stated that unfortunately most doctors jump the gun and medicate slightly elevated blood pressure when the medication is not warranted in people with no cardiovascular risk factors. Some doctors don't do the required CVD risk assessment and prescribe the medication anyway.

You posted a question on the heart board some weeks ago and I was referring to that post. You could not decide whether you should have a certain test and wanted to know more about it, if I remember correctly. Anyway, I hope all is well.

Merry Christmas!
flowergirl

Old 12-23-2007, 01:20 AM   #15
(male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:

Thanks, Marantz, I am going to see my doctor after the holidays, definitely. I just wonder, though, even if my meds are changed, if I go on the same class of drugs, won't it do the same thing? I know there is one called a beta blocker, and I forget what the other one is called, but I bet even another kind has its side effects also. So, it's a really hard challenge to find the right one as far as I can see. I don't like to mess around with all different kinds of meds, but I guess I will have to if I want to solve my problem.

Hope your feeling ok, and take care.

Judy
Thanks Judy,

As a newbie, I don't know if all BB's are the same. I imagine they are though. I read elsewhere that beta blockers are being phased out in the UK. I also understand they were never intended for people with HBP. Originally, they were for patients with heart problems. I read a post from a caridologist and she advised to steer clear of BB's and to get a more appropriate medication for HBP. She reckons beta blockers actually increase systolic levels! I don't know how true this is, but that's what I'm reading on-line.

Beth, I too was on Atenolol for a month and was pulled off them by my GP to see how I'd get on otherwise. I get a massive pain in my chest two days later. It only lasted a few minutes, but it was the worst I ever had. That's the kind of doctor I have. After I went back another month later my BP had shot up even higher. Would that have been caused by rebound hypertension?

Thanks,

Marantz.

Closed Thread