It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Switched from Diltiazem 240mg SR to 10mg of Norvasc, BP is 130/78

Hi,

For the last 2 years I have been using Diltiazem to control my BP, in winter it was always 140/100 even with diet and exercise. In summer it is 120/80 most of the time, because of the hot weather. Anyway, 2 weeks ago I switched to 5mg of Norvasc and it was good, no side effects as with Diltiazem, but I wanted good readings. My dr put me on 10mg and my blood pressure is 130/78 , although I drink a cup of coffee daily (which I didn't do when I was on Diltiazem in the last 2 winter seasons).

I guess Norvasc 10mg is my best drug, thanks for everyone who helped me especially flowergirl, beerzoids, fam, lenin and everyone else.
Merry Christmas everyone, and have a new healthy year .
Thanks for help,
Michael

The following user gives a hug of support to cartner:
rgrant3 (10-17-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to cartner For This Useful Post:
rgrant3 (10-17-2011)
Old 12-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Switched from Diltiazem 240mg SR to 10mg of Norvasc, BP is 130/78

Hi Michael,

I have been thinking of you, wondering how your blood pressure was doing.
I am so happy to hear the 10mg of Norvasc seems to have no adverse effects.

I hope you will get a better reduction in your blood pressure. The average reduction in blood pressure on a maintenance dose (5-10mg) of Norvasc is 12/6 when measured in standing position, 13/7 mmHg in supine position in most patients. I know you are on a beta blocker (Zebeta - Bisoprolol, same as mine) as well. When those two drugs are combined, one should expect the effects of both increased. That should mean a better reduction in blood pressure, as well as (unfortunately) a greater incidence of side effects. There will be unwanted side effects if either of these two medications is discontinued after they have been used concurrently.

Just a reminder: Watch for any cardio symptoms. When initiating a CCB therapy or increasing the dosage, MIs happen to some people. Any cardiological side effects should be reported to your doctor as they occur.

Best of luck
flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 12-25-2007 at 07:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hi flowergirl,

Thanks for your post and help . It seems that CCBs are the best drug class for me, both my father and my uncle are on Norvasc . They feel good too, thank god for that.

No I stopped Zebeta after after 6 days of using it because it lowered my heart rate to 48 and even 40 . With Norvasc my heart rate is 76 to 84, which makes me feel normal. Anyway, my dr told me to take 5mg at morning and another 5mg at night. I did that but I think it didn't work as I take the 10mg once daily, afte 2 hours of drinking my coffee to make sure it doens't effect the medication much . Anyway, at our next meeting I will tell him about that and see what he would say. He's a great dr .

I have another problem that is not relevant to Norvasc, few days ago the dr up my Effexor XR dose from 75mg to 150mg and my heart rate has increased (was 106 yesterday). I can't exercise much while having that heart rate, but the wierd thing is that it goes down to 80 after I drink my daily coffee. What do you think?
Thanks again for help,
Michael

Old 12-25-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi Michael,

Glad that you are having such good numbers with Norvasc. Goes to show us that each of us is different, what doesn't work for one might work for another.

Norvasc gave me a lot of trouble so I had to stop it abruptly. According to the pharmacist & my drug info, it is a drug that can be stopped suddenly without rebound hypertension. I didn't have any problems stopping it suddenly. Fam

Old 12-26-2007, 06:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

129/72 and my pulse is 85 .
Michael

Old 12-26-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Michael,

A couple of things you should know.

Effexor will cause an increase in heart rate. It is one of its side effects. Another is an increase in blood pressure.
Don't be surprised if your blood pressure becomes elevated, in spite of you doing everything you can to keep it down. There have been sustained increases in blood pressure in some patients on this drug. They were modest ones, averaging 10-15mmHg.
The incidence of sustained hypertension for Effexor xr is dose-dependent. If this becomes a problem, a dose reduction or discontinuation of the drug is recommended.
Avoid alcohol - that used with too much of this drug can kill. If you find yourself with free time on your hands, look up the Serotonin Syndrome this drug causes in some people. Tachycardia is just one of its many symptoms.
I don't know how caffeine brings the pulse rate down - when/if I do, I'll post it here. Your blood pressure is very good!

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 12-26-2007 at 06:38 PM.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi flowergirl,

When I started Effexor XR I started with 75mg for a month, in the first few days I have had faster heart rate then it was fine. Anyway, in the 5th week (I'm in my 6th now) my dr put me on 150mg. I started to get higher heart rate again, sometimes it's 78, 84, 88, 105 and 120, I will go to my dr after 10 days if my heart rate didn't go down. But there has been no increase in my blood pressure at all, thank Jesus for that .

The current biggest problem I'm having is that I can't concentrate and I'm tired all the day, I have done every blood work and some nuclear scans and I'm very healthy. It's a Depression and Anxiety and finally I admitted that to myself. Effexor XR supposed to give me out of depression and makes me feel good, but after about 37 days I feel the same plus I'm tired and dizzy most of the time from it.

I have been told by some patient, that I have found online, that all the tiredness and dizziness would disappear after 2 month. It takes 2 month for the medication to start working, they say and I hope so.
Please if you know more about this let me know . I'm very grateful to you for makeing me switch to Norvasc, I can't thank you enough dear.
One more thing, I don't drink Alcohol. I'm trying to live healthy as much as I can but it seems that I'm not doing a good job.
Thanks again for help,
Michael

Old 12-30-2007, 03:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi,

Effexor XR 150mg made my heart rate 110+ in 10 days , dr put me back on 2.5mg Zebeta and reduced my Norvasc to 5mg. Heart rate, after 4 hours of Zebeta, is 71 and blood pressure is 121/72. I will see what would happen in a week because I have reduced effexor xr to 75 again.
Michael

Old 12-30-2007, 04:41 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartner View Post
...The current biggest problem I'm having is that I can't concentrate and I'm tired all the day, I have done every blood work and some nuclear scans and I'm very healthy. It's a Depression and Anxiety and finally I admitted that to myself. ....Michael
Hi Michael!

Just for your information, Norvasc can cause sleep disturbances and sleep disturbances can cause or aggravate depression. I haven't studied your post so I don't know if this is related to your depression but I thought I would bring it to your attention.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 12-30-2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: boo boo

Old 12-30-2007, 04:58 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Bethsheba,

Thanks for your help, actually I also take Xanax before I sleep. But I was on Diltiazem for more than 2 years and it never caused any sleep problems. Also Norvasc is better than Diltiazem for me , it's the bes medication I have tried so far. As for the Effexor XR I will wean myself off it, anti-depressants are very bad drugs . I will take Omega 3 + Amino Acids + Vitamin C + B Complex + Magnesium supplements, I hope this will help with my depression. Also I will take xanax for few months, but I think it's addictive, isn't it?
Thanks for help and happy new year
Michael

Old 12-30-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Michael,

Quote:
Effexor XR 150mg made my heart rate 110+ in 10 days , dr put me back on 2.5mg Zebeta and reduced my Norvasc to 5mg. Heart rate, after 4 hours of Zebeta, is 71 and blood pressure is 121/72. I will see what would happen in a week because I have reduced effexor xr to 75 again.
I tried to tell you the 10mg dose of CCB is too high. You get used to it eventually, but it causes disturbances in the electrical system of the heart (at least in some people!!!) which can't be that good in the long run....never mind the other side effects I will not go into. For this reason, I am glad to hear you are back to 5mg a day. The Zebeta will help to keep your heart rate down yet it is a small enough dose not to affect your exercise tolerance greatly. Give yourself time and try not to become too frustrated if you don't get perfect blood pressure readings rightaway. I know you can't do much about the Effexor...it is supposed to be one of the milder drugs of its type but watch out for that one! I hope things work out for you...look at me. As soon as I start believing I have just the right combination of medicine in the right dosage, something needs to be changed. The effectiveness of our medication is determined by a number of variable factors. That is why frequent adjustments in dosage or changes in medication are sometimes necessary.

Good luck!
flowergirl

Old 12-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi flowergirl,

I hope you had a new Christmas . Please can you explain what do you mean by "You get used to it eventually, but it causes disturbances in the electrical system of the heart". I didn't have any problems with 10mg of Norvasc, but I'm back to 5 mg because I have to lower my heart rate using Zebeta. Effexor is a very bad drug and I will not take any antidepressant again, I will take natural supplements like omega 3, magnesium, vitamin C, B Complex and Amino Acids. Also I will go to the church more often, we get too busy and forget god . which is the primary reason for depression and anxiety in the modern world.

My heart rate is 71 and I'm feeling good again, but the problem is that I'm weaning off effexor and when I stop it my heart rate MIGHT drop again to 40 or 48 . I will see what would happen.

I want ask you something about Zebeta, I have read that it can cause Depression and in the same time it's anti-Anxiety. I feel the anti-Anxiety effect, but I'm scared that it depress me.
Thanks for help,
Michael

Last edited by cartner; 12-30-2007 at 09:03 AM.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michael, I was talking about the 10mg dose of CCB and the side effects it has on some people. As with all drugs, there are benefits as well as side effects to be considered. That is why we have our doctors to make these decisions for us. Some people are not affected by drugs at all. I wish I were one!
I mentioned this in one of the previous posts - the incidence of side effects with the CCBs is directly dose-related. In documented studies, with the 10mg dose, the incidence was the greatest and so was the intensity of the side effects in those who experienced them. I also mentioned that Norvasc, compared to others (such as my CCB), did very well. This information should be available with just a little bit of effort. I have to leave for work but should have some time tomorrow. (Having company tonight)

Take care,
flowergirl

Old 12-30-2007, 09:50 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes I remember now , I'm sorry for wasting your time flowergirl. And again, I can't thank you enough for helping me to switch to Norvasc. I will bring this to my doctor when I meet him again, next month.
Have a great time and happy new year.
Michael

Old 12-31-2007, 10:05 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Michael,

Happy New Year to you and everyone on these boards!

I did a little bit of reading about Zebeta in a couple of my drug books. Then I looked up Effexor and checked its side effects. I am so glad to hear that you will be stopping this drug!

I think you will feel much better after you discontinue Effexor. If you are young (and I know you are) you should not be on this drug. The depression, anxiety, nervousness, irritability and many other symptoms can be attributed to the use of this drug in some people. The doctors, when prescribing this drug, should carefully weigh its benefits against the risks in certain populations, especially the young and the elderly. It improves certain mood problems but creates others, sometimes very serious.

I don't think that the Bisoprolol is responsible for your symptoms, because your dose is small. Some beta blockers cause confusion, paranoia, emotional depression and nervousness. The symptoms are directly dose related. The ones most often mentioned (along with many other meds that can cause these states) are Propranolol and Metaprolol.
An interesting fact: Pharmacokinetic interactions of beta blockers (Rate of absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion) vary according to individual agents' chemical properties. Lipid soluble beta blockers -Bisoprolol, Metoprolol and Carvedilol involve a specific enzyme when they are metabolized (CYP2D6). Some people have less of this enzyme than others. Because of its reduced concentration, there is a higher risk of drug interactions and adverse reactions in these individuals. These same people can be unaffected and symptom free when using a beta blocker that is water soluble, such as Atenolol.

By the way, when compared to other beta1 selective blockers, (Metoprolol, Atenolol and Betaxolol) Bisoprolol has been shown to have the highest beta1 selectivity. Good to know!

Have a good day!

flowergirl

Closed Thread