It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2003, 10:55 AM   #1
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Post My Saga of BP Woes

Here's my story of my High BP Woes if anyone cares to listen or if anyone wants to bash the medical profession. I was diagnosed with High BP 2 years ago at the age of 42 and the doctors decided I should be put on accupril. I fought tooth and nail since I am not a big pill taker and believe that most of our health issues are due to poor eating and lifestyle habits. Since i am and have been for years an athlete with a body fat percentage of 13% I thought I had to change my diet to fix this mess and maybe up my cardio. Well according to the doctors whatever I was doing was not working for my BP and they said it's in the genes.

They put me on meds with a BP of 145/95. years prior it was always 117/75. My husband did not beleive it was high enough for me to be on meds. I got scared and thought i don't wanna die so I better take them.

I got side effects on the accupril and had to be taken off of it and put on hyzaar, then taken off that and put on cozaar and then taken off of that and put on norvasc and then put on covera and now diovan hct. Sounds nuts I know. Most of the meds they had me on cause side effects and or did not lower my BP. Let me also mention that some of the meds I was on also raised my cholestrol. Do any of you know that some BP meds raise your cholestrol? Well now these quacks put me on cholestrol medicine (lescol)which caused joint and severe neck pain they then gave me 600 mg of motrim to get rid of the joint pain. Talk about troubleshooting here.

I realized that these guys had no clue and I took myself off the lescol and then put myself on omega 3 fatty acids 2 times a day and I eat alot of fish and no red meat more than 2 times a month. I also take green tea concentrate and flaxseed. I went back for bloodwork and my cholestrol was good again.

My point here is that if we listen to everything these doctors tell us we can end up dead by all the pills they are pushing. I am taking my life in my own hands and buying a professional BP cuff because the digital one i have is not accurate. I will measure my own bp first to see if I really do have high bp and then I will start a healthier alternative to reducing my BP with herbs and monitor it that way.

As soon as the monitor comes in the mail I will stop taking the meds and keep an accurate count of my BP and let you all know if it works..sorry for being so long winded but it had to be said, Lisa

[This message has been edited by Moxie75 (edited 03-04-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2003, 11:46 AM   #2

RRR HB User
LOL regarding your comment about "quacks".

I hear ya...I feel we are in the same boat. Everytime I go back to Dr.'s office they just add another pill to my list of medications. I am now on 4 different meds and BP is still high..today it was 158/104 at Dr's office. I am starting to get sick of it all..I was seriously thinking about telling Dr what I thought today but the nurse was sooo nice to me and Doc never came in the room so I hated to tell the nurse what I thought...I am suppose to see the Doc next Tuesday face to face so maybe I will have the nerve to say this isnt working.

Good Luck, Moxie keep us posted

Old 01-22-2003, 11:49 AM   #3
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Good luck to you too RRR..keep me posted..Lisa

Old 01-22-2003, 12:13 PM   #4
(male)

sunbird_owner HB User
Mox,

You know for that small imbalance, you could just try hawthorne. They use this quite frequently in England.

You know the sad thing is that your story is not unique at all.

Jay

Old 01-22-2003, 12:38 PM   #5
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
sunbird,

Thanks for the info. I will look into anything that will keep me off the meds and keep it natural and no side effects. It is sad.. you should see what they have my mom and dad on. It's a wonder they can even walk with all the drugs...Lisa

Old 01-25-2003, 11:14 PM   #6

RRR HB User
Mox,
Is there such a thing as uncontrollable hypertension?
Just a late night thought...wondering how long it will take to get under control.

I cancelled this coming weeks Dr. appt. I am getting a bad attitude about the whole deal. I think it hacked them off that I did that...but I told them I was frustrated and Dr. office told me they were frustrated too. ha! I'll go back in a couple weeks...think all the meds are starting to drag me down.

How are you doing Moxie?

Old 01-28-2003, 09:49 AM   #7
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
check my new posts out about my BP without the meds..i feel your pain and I think you should try what I am doing..We are responsible for our own recovery not the doctors what do they care?..good luck and keep me posted, Lisa

Old 01-28-2003, 10:10 AM   #8

RRR HB User
what's your post titled?

Old 01-28-2003, 10:19 AM   #9
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Charting my BP without the meds!!

here's the link..
[url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum57/HTML/000416.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum57/HTML/000416.html[/url]

[This message has been edited by Moxie75 (edited 01-28-2003).]

Old 01-28-2003, 10:37 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Hey moxie-
Your non-med BP readings are pretty fantastic!
Doesn't look like you don't need meds with these numbers.
Keep us posted.

Old 01-28-2003, 10:40 AM   #11
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
I know..that is what my hubby keeps saying to me..he said why go on anything at all even the herbal stuff if you don't have it..He kept insisting from the get go that I did not have high BP..i still want to see what the readings are with the new BP monitor..I'm hoping and praying they are just as good..I Will keep you posted, Lisa

Old 01-29-2003, 12:32 PM   #12

RRR HB User
what's the new bp monitor you ordered? my dr sent me home with a digital monitor called Omron. i dont have a clue if it is accurate or not

Old 01-29-2003, 12:36 PM   #13
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
this one check out the link:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2907951286"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2907951286[/url]

Old 02-11-2003, 08:42 PM   #14

rc1978 HB User
Hi Moxie,
It's really nice to read your posting.You are absoultely right about the idea that we have to control most part of our BP problems by taking proper diet.
As per our experiences let us come up with some points which we should keep in mind while taking diet.
Now from your reading & my exp i will say:-

1)Avoid eating red meat.If you take meat then take it only once in fortnight
2)Eat lot of fish.(Do not take fish fried in salt)
3)Reduce salt intake in your daily food.
4)Do not add direct salt in your food. (see that it is boiled)
5)Eat lot of fruits
6)Practise daily Yoga & body relaxation exercises
7)Go for regular morning walk. (Do brisk walking atleast for 30 mins everyday)

All experienced members kindly come forward to add some valid points to this list...

Share your experiences...........

If you have a better idea & i have one and we share, then we have two better ideas each!

Old 02-12-2003, 04:06 AM   #15
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
You are right on the money honey with that post RC. I am right there with ya. I eat red meat maybe once every other week. I love salmon and makeral and especially sardines. People think I'm nuts but i eat raw veggies and sardines in extra virgin olive oil and balsalmic vinegar for breakfast. When the people at work are blown away by my age when I tell them they say "do I have to eat that stuff to look that young"..I laugh!! You've made alot of great points and the point I would love to put in is..Go buy the book "The Okinawan Program". It changed my life..They have no heart disease no high cholestrol and no prostrate cancer nor do they have breast cancer. Their human life expectancy is far above us westerners. They live until 105 years old..so let's get reading people..oh yes and they drink moderately..Go figure..Lisa

Closed Thread