It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2003, 09:21 PM   #1
(female)

nono HB User
Post getting scared, 170/101

yikes, i feel like my heart is just waiting to have an attack. i have been monitering my pressure for three months now and when i'm at rest it's 150/100 but i almost had died when i saw how high it was yesterday. anyone else have bp this high? i'm afraid i am going to have to take pills

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2003, 09:27 PM   #2

heavenz HB User
Now i know this isnt a cure , but it should help.
try to drink tons of water and cut down on sodium and salt and see if it decreases

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2003, 05:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User
nono,

Yes I have had blood pressure that high. No matter what I did, I could not bring it down without medication. I can understand the anxiety over taking pills, I was once there. However, if you find that you cannot bring it down to under 140/90 by exercise and diet, then please consider seeking medication to achieve those levels. The flip side is far worse than taking medication. I went years with untreated high bp and the result is damage to my coronary arteries that I am paying for the rest of my life (and I am only 36 now).

[This message has been edited by ubernier (edited 02-06-2003).]

Old 02-06-2003, 12:00 PM   #4

RRR HB User
Yes, my BP when discovered to be high was 180/140. I am on 5 meds and it's 3 months later and BP is lower but not within the recommended 140/90 or lower range.
See your doctor...he can help

Old 02-07-2003, 08:42 AM   #5
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Is 140/90 the reccomended range? See that scares me when mine is like that..I want it so bad to be 120/80..Lisa

Old 02-07-2003, 09:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Hi Moxie-
140/90 is considered mildly hyperstensive, if SUSTAINED OVER TIME, and every doctor I know say numbers like that should be treated. The OLD wisdom was that it was okay. Now the prevailing wisdom is that it should be treated. Your Diovan is keeping it under that, no?
It's like how not long ago, the medical community said cholesterol was okay over 200. Now, as you know, 200 or less is what they look for.
zuzu

[This message has been edited by zuzu8 (edited 02-07-2003).]

Old 02-07-2003, 09:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Moxie-
140/90 is considered mildly hyperstensive, if SUSTAINED OVER TIME, and every doctor I know say numbers like that should be treated. The OLD wisdom was that it was okay. Now the prevailing wisdom is that it should be treated. Your Diovan is keeping it under that, no?
It's like, not long ago, the medical community said cholesterol was okay over 200. Now, as you know, 200 or less is what they look for.
zuzu

Old 02-08-2003, 07:54 AM   #8

lsm2000l HB User
I'm on medication for high blood pressure. I hate taking pills too but it's better than the problems high blood pressure can cause. Heart disease, stroke, kidney problems.

Old 02-08-2003, 11:41 AM   #9
(female)

nono HB User
i guess the real reason i am sooo freaked out is that i am only 29 year old female. i shouldn't be having to deal with this at my age

Old 02-08-2003, 02:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

nono- Try not to be too freaked out. Your blood pressure can be brought down....and it doesn't always have to be meds. There are two kinds of high blood preasure basically. The most common is "primary" hypertension. Nobody knows "the cause". Sometimes genetic. The other kind is high blood pressure caused by something else going on in the body, particularly the adrenal glands or kidneys, (only about 10% of high blood pressure cases) and if so, once that is treated successfully,no more high blood pressure. I have a couple of questions:
a) Was it your doctor who first got high readings for you?
If so, what was his/her recommendation?
b) Now that you are taking these readings on your own, have you seen your doctor in these past three months?
Does he/she know the readings your are getting? Make an appointment. It's only going to make you more anxious doing nothing.
He or she should be able to help you enormously.

[This message has been edited by zuzu8 (edited 02-08-2003).]

Old 02-08-2003, 03:58 PM   #11
Inactive

zip2play HB User
nono,

Don't be afraid of the meds. I started on them at age 30 and used various classes for the next 20 years. Then I lost 30 pounds and the BP returned to normal and pills returned to the medicine chest.

If you need them take them. A simple diuretic (thiazide) to excrete salt(from the hideously oversalted processed foods) and retained water may be all that you need.

Why risk vascular damage after a decade or two solely for the privilege of being able to say- "I didn't take the pills!"

Old 02-27-2003, 06:44 AM   #12

vanmac HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by RRR:
Yes, my BP when discovered to be high was 180/140. I am on 5 meds and it's 3 months later and BP is lower but not within the recommended 140/90 or lower range.
See your doctor...he can help
Have you been tested for Pheochromocytoma? That's a lot of meds to be taking and when I was taking so many my docs really thought I had Pheo.

------------------
Keep the Faith!
Van Mac

Old 02-27-2003, 05:47 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
I was diagnosed with hypertension in my early 30's.
Yes, I too was too young at one point.
In fact, now that I'm older I still get told that I'm still too young because I look youthfully healthy.
With HBP no age is too young.
Yes, I have had BP readings like yours.
My pulse goes up over 100 too and when that happens I get really bad hypertension symptoms.
With a BP just a little higher than your's I was put on a high dose BetaBlocker.
I have to keep my numbers down to 110/60 with a pulse in the 60's or 70's to accomodate for the way my BP will spike.

posted>>>The flip side is far worse than taking medication. I went years with untreated high bp and the result is damage to my coronary arteries that I am paying for the rest of my life<<<<

Yep, that's right. The alternatives are just gambling with your health.
HBP meds and the disease they treat need to be taken seriously.
Taking ones meds is what helps us live healthy and productive lives.
We need to take our meds along with eating right and exercising and doing all that health and wellness stuff that ought to be part of life anyway.
kat

Old 02-28-2003, 12:52 PM   #14

RRR HB User
VanMac,

Yes been tested for Pheochromotoma or whatever it is called...I did the 24hr Urine Analysis and they said it was ok. Yes, I know Dr. tells me I am on too many meds. He is trying to find somewhere to send me for 2nd opinion. Thanks for the thought! RRR

Old 03-08-2004, 03:56 PM   #15

ray_ray HB User
Re: getting scared, 170/101

I'm only 18 and my BP has been around 195/105 and I'm currently being tested for Pheo. I've taken so many different meds, over 30 at different times, that i can't even remember half of them. It has been over 2 years of this also.

Closed Thread