It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2003, 04:06 PM   #1

rachelh69 HB User
Post normal blood pressure

Recently I was put on metoprolol for tachycardia. The DR started me out on a very low dosage then increased it a little when it didn't control the fast heart rate at night.
A few years ago it was normal for my blood pressure to be 100/50. NOw in the last couple of years it's around 120/80 most of the time, occasionally a little higher but not much{it's always higher in the DR's office than on a machine}. Now that I'm on the medication my blood pressure is too low but almost all that tachycardia medication lowers blood pressure so I'm not sure what the DR can do. Anyway, the DR said he wanted to keep the top number at 100 or above.
Average single readings can be anywhere from 108/70 to more often 98/60, 95/55, 92/56 to 90/60.
Anyway, I averaged the readings doing what someone else on here said to do and they were 103/57, 98/56, 108/79, 97/68, 95/57.
Other than the readings being low I have no symptoms and am grateful I don't have high blood pressure. My Mother has battled it for years with no success.
I honestly don't know what the DR can do since almost all that tachy medicine lowers blood pressure too. And I don't really care to start switching around since I have no side affects with the medicine and I've read about alot of people that get side affects with metoprolol{I'm on the immediate release rather than extended release toprol} and it works very well at controlling the tachycardia.
I exercise almost every day weather permitting and I admit it's not quite as easy to walk as far or as fast as I used to be able to but being able to walk a couple of miles a day isn't too bad{I don't do that every day and have to rest in between when I do now, can't do it all at once, but try to do a mile or close each day, my dog demands a long walk.} Anyway, the DR said it would probably drag me down or slow me down some but it's controlling the fast heart rate without any side affects really.
The DR has me on 50 mg a day. Less than that didn't control the night tachy although I could probably take a little less during the day and be alright since it's not as bad during the day.
Sorry for rambling. How low is too low? Is there any way to raise it naturally without raising it too much?
I tested my blood pressure yesterday at Eckerd four times{104/68, 97/50, 100/65, 103/68} and it was higher than what I get here but it could have been because I'd walked about a mile an hour before that. Later after doing about another mile and a half and testing at home it was lower than it usually is, about 92/60 and 91/58.
Thanks for any input. I don't want to worry about my blood pressure but I also don't want the tachycardia. The heart monitor said it was 160, 170 and I had no idea it was going that high or I would have freaked. When I tested it wasn't that high and it's a good thing. I couldn't sleep and couldn't exercise for it and now I feel like I'm back to my old self.
Anyway, I would hate to start switching around since this medicine is working right now.
Sorry for rambling again and thanks for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2003, 05:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Hi rachelH-
You write:
"Anyway, I averaged the readings doing what someone else on here said to do and they were 103/57, 98/56, 108/79, 97/68, 95/57.
Other than the readings being low I have no symptoms and am grateful I don't have high blood pressure. My Mother has battled it for years with no success."

SO RACHEL-
Basically, you're keeping your top # at around 100, which is where your doctor wants it. Best of all, you are having no side effects to the meds, nor are you experiencing symptoms of your BP being too low (i.e., dizziness, fainting, etc) PLUS the tachycardia is under control.
SO I'm not sure why you are worried. Did I miss something?

[This message has been edited by zuzu8 (edited 03-23-2003).]

Old 03-22-2003, 11:00 PM   #3

RRR HB User
I am not an expert on low blood pressure or anything but I think your body lets you know when your BP gets too low because you faint..and from what I understand it is because you dont have the needed pressure to pump the blood to your brain and back down again. I want to say if you have no symptoms dont worry but I cant force myself to type that because I was diagnosed with malignant HTN (hypertension) and had no symptoms. See your Doc and update this post and let us know how your doing!

Old 03-23-2003, 01:28 PM   #4

rachelh69 HB User
I was only worried a little because I was afraid of my blood pressure being too low and causing problems{organs not getting enough oxygen, etc.}
Except in the morning my blood pressure is generally under 100. Usually earlier in the day not too low, about 98/60, 95/55. Later in the evening, especially after exercise it drops lower, 90/65, 91/58, occasionally the top number is lower than that.
I'm grateful I don't have high blood pressure but was just wondering what is too low. It's not quite staying consistent with what my DR wants. I'll be going back in about 3 weeks.

Old 03-23-2003, 01:31 PM   #5

rachelh69 HB User
RRR,
Fortunately, I know what's causing the low blood pressure. It's the metoprolol but I have to take it for the tachycardia.

Closed Thread