It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
(male)

ken10021 HB User
Question Sudden Onset of High Blood Pressure

I am a 50-year old whose blood pressure was 130/75 to 120/60 when I tested it in October 2007 but started feeling flushed in my face, with my ears becoming redder, and feelings of blood pumping into my face, starting about two weeks ago during a two week trip upstate. My pressure was tested to rise to 155/105 at its highest, and now is still in the 140 to 150 over 85 -95 range. I am not a smoker, nor overweight, and have moderately exercised for several years, w/ a family history of type two diabetes, though when last tested six months ago was negative for diabetes. Today, under high work pressure, I felt like my head was almost about to explode, whereas normally I take stress well, with few if any physical symptoms. Also, blood pressure for some reason seems to rise at night. Can anyone tell me what may be going on, or has anyone had this happen before?
I am so worried -- I am not used to feeling sick like this without having a clue what's going on.

Last edited by ken10021; 01-03-2008 at 09:48 PM. Reason: grammar

Old 01-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Sudden Onset of High Blood Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken10021 View Post
My pressure was tested to rise to 155/105 at its highest, and now is still in the 140 to 150 over 85 -95 range.
Those are not healthy blood pressure levels. Blood Pressure fluctuates quite a bit all day long, and day to day, so your blood pressure probably runs both higher and lower than what you have observed.

Quote:
I am not a smoker, nor overweight, and have moderately exercised for several years,
That will help you in your struggle to get your blood pressure down to healthy levels.

Quote:
w/ a family history of type two diabetes, though when last tested six months ago was negative for diabetes.
You could have a pre-diabetic condition, known as Insulin Resistance, which is a significant cause of higher blood pressure, and other nasty health problems.

Quote:
Today, under high work pressure, I felt like my head was almost about to explode, whereas normally I take stress well, with few if any physical symptoms.
If your body's handling of Insulin is out-of-whack, all hell breaks out in one's body. Insulin is an extremely important, and beneficial hormone, but when too much Insulin is produced, it becomes a very harmful hormone. You say that you are normally able to handle stress. If you have become Insulin Resistant, then that could cause your body to not properly handle the "stress produced" adrenalin hormones.

Quote:
Also, blood pressure for some reason seems to rise at night.
Blood Pressure for Diabetics and for Pre-Diabetics (Insulin Resistant), are frequently higher at night.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
(male)

james_wv HB User

I can tell you it can come on quickly. I was 50 and had never had high blood pressure. At my urologist appt in March (I'm a prostate cancer survivor so I get my PSA checked twice a year) my BP was very normal. Started with a new 'family' physician in July and the pressure at my first appt. there was 170/110. I didn't want to believe it (thought something weird was going on) but after monitoring it home for a while it was still high and I started meds a week or so later.

Now it's 6 months later and I'm on 40 mg of Benicar and 20 mg of Dynacirc.

Last edited by james_wv; 01-04-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
(male)

ken10021 HB User

Thank you for your advice. Went to doctor yesterday to get blood workup, including for diabetes, thyroid, liver, kidney, etc. One thing I forgot to mention is that I also developed pretty bad neck spasms from sleeping on air mattress for two weeks, and had trigeminal neuralgia previously (before successful gamma ray operation two years ago) which is a compression of the 5th cranial nerve that runs up the neck to the brain stem by a blood vessel. I am also wondering whether the spasms could be acting against the same blood vessel causing the rise in blood pressure, etc. Also, do you know if the pre-diabetic insulin resistance shows up in a blood test? Your help is much appreciated.

Closed Thread